Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2023, 10:48 PM   #1
Alberta50fordor

Default 49-50 vs 51-56 crossmember/transmission mounts

Hey guys, i was working on a 53 convertible tonight and noticed that the overdrive transmission mount is in front of the cross member so that got me thinking of the issue that i ran into with my 51 woodie when i put an overdrive trans back into it
When i got the wagon it had a non od trans that was put in(factory od car), i swapped the mount around and had to push the engine forward due to the mount not lining up, im not sure what the engine and trans came out of that i put in the woodie other than they came out of a shoebox, what changes did ford make to the crossmembers/transmission housings in 51? i noticed on shoebox central that the transmission mount is different in 51 and up, also the transmission i put in has a 5" wide mount vs the transmission i pulled out with a 6" wide mounting area
On shoebox central they say OD transmission for all years have the mount at the back and non OD transmissions have the mount in the front
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:24 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 49-50 vs 51-56 crossmember/transmission mounts

I have both '50 and '51 Ford overdrive transmissions in my shop. The mounts are in different locations on the transmissions. I had heard that Ford changed it from '50 to '51, and my transmissions seem to back that up.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:43 AM   #3
Alberta50fordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I have both '50 and '51 Ford overdrive transmissions in my shop. The mounts are in different locations on the transmissions. I had heard that Ford changed it from '50 to '51, and my transmissions seem to back that up.
Do you now if the crossmembers are the same?, is there any benefit to having a 51 and up transmission? all it says in the service manual is that the gears are different
Old 05-31-2023, 10:07 AM   #4
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta50fordor View Post
Do you now if the crossmembers are the same?, is there any benefit to having a 51 and up transmission? all it says in the service manual is that the gears are different
I don't think so. The transmission mounting change came in 1951 with the introduction of the new for 1951 Ford-a-Matic transmission. I own a '51 Ford so I know about them, and I removed my '50 transmission from a '50 parts car I bought, but I don't remember the particulars of the mount.

Since the Ford-a-matic was continued for the '52-'53 year models, I would speculate that there are two different mounts '49-'50 and '51-53. Hopefully, someone who knows for sure will chime in.

The new gears were a running change that occurred during the '51 model year.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:13 PM   #5
38 coupe

1949-1950 transmissions are shorter than 1951-1954 (and up into the 50s) transmissions. As tubman said, the mount locations on the tail housing are different between the two styles. Get the correct transmission for your car, turn the transmission mount the correct direction, and it all bolts up.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:40 PM   #6
Ken Henry

Hmm, I swapped a 49/50 OD trans into my 51 and it seemed to be the same length. Different mount, crossmember, and trans side cover with the clutch pivot lower on the 51 I believe.
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:04 PM   #7
Alberta50fordor

the clutch pivot seemed to have lined up fine with the older trans, the driveshaft was a different length but i figured that was because they put a non od trans in, my 51 wagon alos has some goofy shift linkage that has completely different bends and the shift fords are both the same instead of having one male and on female
Old 06-08-2023, 12:17 PM   #8
rotorwrench

1951 was a change year for the light duty 3-speed transmissions as well as the addition of the new Borg Warner automatics. They changed to a new style of gears with what they referred to as the diamond tooth pattern. Ratios changed a bit as well. The Mercury cars had their own transmission till early 1951. February I believe. Mercury changed bell housings and used the Ford design transmission in late 1951. Ford and Mercury both went to the same type transmission and bell housing in 1952 since swing type pedals were coming in and the bodies were more similar.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote