Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #1
Scotty's 52 F3

Default Need help trouble shooting no spark, 1936

A friend asked me to help him with his 36 no start. I have ZERO experience with this early engine. I do have a 52 F3 with 8RT and I'm a retired Cat mechanic so basic knowledge.

The car was running when it was parked. Not sure how long ago. He's having memory problems. Maybe parked 6 months? Maybe longer?

It is getting fuel. He also tried starting fluid and nothing.

It has a helmet distributor but it has an external coil? Anyway the coil was open so we put a spare on.

The spare coil says 6 volt, It checked at 1.9 Ohms

With key on there is 6.33 Volts at negative coil terminal. Battery is at 6.35 V

When cranking there is spark from coil wire to ground. Doesn't look very bright though.

When the coil wire is hooked back to distributor no spark to plugs.

I emailed Charlie NY and he said send it but, my buddy (Johnny) isn't quite ready without doing some more testing. I'm hoping you guys can help me out here.

He also wants to convert to 12 volt and alternator. I'm sure I can handle that but, I'd like to have a running engine first. I talked to Mac Van Pelt about a 12 volt alternator and we have one on the way.

Mac doesn't have a mounting bracket for the 36. Does anyone know if the 37 up would work or can it be modified? I'll fab one up if necessary.

Other than seeing him drive the car around before I know nothing about it. His memory is fading so I'm doing my best here to give you information.

I'm going to check compression and maybe fuel pressure. It looks like the mechanical pump is pumping. He has an electric one to prime. The gas doesn't look or smell bad.

Charlie said to send him distributor, carb and pump and he'll make them right. I recommended this course of action since he is tired of messing with it. However, he is going to want to make sure thing NEED to be sent before he does.

I'm looking forward to some expert advice. Thank you all in advance.

Scott

Last edited by Scotty's 52 F3; 09-01-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote