Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2021, 07:51 AM   #1
lefin102

Default 32 3 window coupe

Hey Everyone,

I’m new to the forum and didn’t see an intro page. I’m an older mechanic started in the early 70’s and switched trades in the mid 80’s. +- 15 years working auto , light , med & heavy truck.

Trying to help a neighbor with his 32 flathead. Need help with connecting the headlight BX to radiator shroud plus light switch to steering column to start.

Does anyone have any pictures that will help? Where is the best place for missing parts?

Thanks in advance,
Frank
lefin102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: 32 3 window coupe

What is "Headlight BX"?? The only things on a 32 Ford that "connects" if you will to the "radiator shroud" is the wire looms for the headlights and the horn wire shown in the two attached pictures IF that is what you are asking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32BoschHorn4.jpg (42.5 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 32BoschHorn3.jpg (37.4 KB, 131 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
lefin102

rockfla many thanks! The BX is the flexible casing the wires go through. It looks like all that’s needed is a rubber grommet on the radiator shroud. Don’t have the horn yet. Can you help with other wiring harness questions? I’m starting from scratch but a few pictures like the ones you posted will be of great assistance. I’ll work on a list. Frank
Old 10-27-2021, 07:09 PM   #4
tubman

I'm surprised that no one has chimed in here, so I will even though I'm not much of a pre-war Ford guy. First of all, you have certainly come to the right place, This forum has some of the most experienced and knowledgeable '32 Ford people in the world, bar none. As a matter of fact, the guy who literally "wrote the book" on '32 Ford restoration is a frequent contributor. I mention this because you are working on one of the most iconic '32 Fords there is, a three window coupe. These are very special cars and deserve to be treated as such. Check this thread out, as it would be interesting to know if the body number of the car you are working on has been recorded, or if it is a new find and should be added to the list : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Murray.

As you are asking about headlight conduits, I would believe that the vehicle you are working on is stock or close to it. It would be in everyone's best interest if you were to try to keep any repairs and updates as high a quality as possible. This forum will be of considerable value in doing so.

Please excuse me if I am "preaching to the choir" and you already know all of this, but the car deserves the best.

Last edited by tubman; 10-27-2021 at 09:09 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:36 PM   #5
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefin102 View Post
Hey Everyone... Where is the best place for missing parts? Frank

They know '32's exceptionally well. Not the only source, but I would start there.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305730

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:46 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

The original wiring conduits are a lot better than most of the repops that I've seen. If you have them and your lights have the correct/original sockets, than they'll just snap in to the bottoms of your headlights. On the radiator shell side, you'll need a couple rubber grommets. On the wiring, if the original stuff is shot (as it usually is), then buy a complete front-end wiring harness. It will plug right into your "headlight bulb" on the bottom of the steering column.

Note - there are at least two different types of wiring harnesses - depending on the headlights you have (at least that is the way I believe it goes). My headlights have two-bulbs . . . maybe they all do, but make sure you have the right harness for the right lights. I initially bought a re-pop headlight bulb - was nowhere near as nice as my original, so I put the original one back in. The whole wiring system (on a stock car) is super simple. It only takes a couple hours to replace the whole thing (front to back) - with the assumption that everything is or will be stock.

Also, buy some of the original type "bullet" contacts that are soldered onto the ends of the wires (at different points) - along with the rubber coated unions/joints that connect them. These are like the originals . . . about 1.25" long, tar/rubber coating on the outside and you press two of the bullet connectors into them. Ford used them in various places in the wiring harness.

I always use a bit of dielectric grease in the connections (to prevent corrosion). Also, every wiring circuit on these early Fords relies on a good chassis ground . . . in many cases the main reason that lights don't work is because they don't have a good ground circuit to the chassis. Make sure you have good clean bolts to connect things, use some dielectric grease on contact points and use an Ohm meter to check the continuity of the ground circuits.

Over the years, I've had more than a few problems with rusty/poor ground circuits . . . causing continuity issues.

Best of luck and welcome!

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 10-27-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:36 AM   #7
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefin102 View Post
rockfla many thanks! The BX is the flexible casing the wires go through. It looks like all that’s needed is a rubber grommet on the radiator shroud. Don’t have the horn yet. Can you help with other wiring harness questions? I’m starting from scratch but a few pictures like the ones you posted will be of great assistance. I’ll work on a list. Frank
I will help you in anyway I can.....Just let me know what you need pictures of. I will caution you, however, on the horn....DO NOT use my pictures I posted for "reference" purposes for the horn you seek....MY 32 is a German 32 Ford and the horn is a BOSCH horn and IS NOT the correct horn for your 3 window SO don't rely on my photo that I posted. The horn you seek will depend on the front fenders your car has and the Early/Late production. There were two Sparton horns available the "BF" or boat tail horn and the "CF" known as the "beep" horn AND two different horn mount brackets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boattail3.jpg (59.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg BoatTailHorn2.jpg (26.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg CFhorn3.jpg (34.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg CFHorn2.jpg (27.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 32Hornbrckt2.jpg (39.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 10-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
DavidG

It would be very helpful if you could tell us more about the coupe so that our responses are appropriate to your/your neighbor's objectives. Is it essentially as original or modified and if so, to what extent? A photo or two of the engine compartment would also be very informative.

As a 3-window coupe (what Ford termed the deluxe coupe), it would originally had a pair of cowl lights and therefore its original headlamps had one bulb. Standard '32 vehicles in North America weren't equipped with cowl lamps when they left the factory, hence the need for two bulbs in their headlamps, the second ones serving as parking lamps.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:13 AM   #9
lefin102

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for late response traveled to the west coast for work.

My Neighbor is now 86 and I’m 66 so just after Sandy cleaned our clocks in 2012 I helped him find an engine rebuilder. The engine was completed a few months later. He did a frame up restoration and got stuck with the wiring. I thought something else was the problem but think he can’t figure out the headlight wiring plus old age and other projects. Funny you’ll have plenty of projects after a flood!

Anyway I got involved because I’m close to retiring and this is way overdue. And I want to see him drive it. I’ll see if he knows the original body sn#’s for the record.

All of your help is much appreciated. This should not take that much longer. I’ll try a post pictures of what I’m working with.

Thanks, Frank
Old 10-29-2021, 06:16 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Also, after seeing DavidG's post, got me to thinking . . . my headlights only have one bulb in them, as every 32 Cabriolet was a 'deluxe' - so it came with cowl lights.

To add to the story, after I put a completely new wiring harness in (front to back) and connected the battery, thought "Well, wonder if these darn cowl lights work???". Flipped the headlight switch and on they came! The bulbs had been in there from at least the 50's . . . and they're still working away!

Now - if I could just get light bulbs in my damn house to last as long! Arggggh!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:53 AM   #11
sugarmaker

lefin102,
Welcome to the Ford Barn! Great that your helping your neighbor on his 32! Look at the paint on that car! WOW!
Makes a person almost want to have a nice shiny one to drive too!
Yea I agree we need more pictures!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #12
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
lefin102,
Welcome to the Ford Barn! Great that your helping your neighbor on his 32! Look at the paint on that car! WOW!
Makes a person almost want to have a nice shiny one to drive too!
Yea I agree we need more pictures!
Regards,
Chris
Chris

We are ALL "Still" waiting for pictures of the poster's 3 Window.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:16 PM   #13
DavidG

In the interim we'll just have to make do with a couple of photos of mine.

Photo credit: Trevor Poulsen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC4150.jpg (78.2 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC4207.jpg (58.2 KB, 485 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 10-29-2021 at 03:06 PM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:46 PM   #14
rufus39

As Gomer Pyle says..... SHA-ZAM !!!
rufus39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:53 PM   #15
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Drool worthy for sure!!! Can never get enough of the fruits of your labor David!!! AND an added bonus of the WHIPPER SNAPPER peeking over the door!!!

EXCUSE ME, the hood!!!
Old 10-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #16
petehoovie

Quote:

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #17
Deuce-Addict

Quote:

David - if someone asked me to define perfection…your deluxe coupe would be it.
Deuce-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #18
Andy

Wiring from owners manual
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0751.jpeg (98.7 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0752.jpeg (109.8 KB, 326 views)
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:54 PM   #19
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Wiring from owners manual

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:23 PM   #20
Ian NZ

Here is some photos of my New Zealand 1932 3/W Coupe restored to original standards. I have made several parts out of Stainless steel like bumpers, I did not like the reproduction ones and good ones are hard to find, inside door handles etc.
it also has the original dual ammeter, oil gauge and fuel and Temperature gauge and a lot of other 1932 Ford extras fitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grant packing up after Kaponga car show.jpg (78.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 1932 Ford Coupe.jpg (84.0 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg Inside Stables 32.jpg (61.6 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg 1932 long point door handles.jpg (62.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Gauges 5.jpg (82.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 1932 3W Rumble seat.jpg (51.9 KB, 56 views)
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote