Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Swap Meet > For Sale > Model-A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2019, 11:20 PM   #1
AndrewIndyA

Default 1928 Model A Fordor

City: Carmel
State: IN
Price: 12500

For sale is my 1928 Ford Model A, 60-A Leatherback, asking $12,500. The car is located in the north side of Indianapolis, IN. Title in-hand (mileage exempt title).

I have really enjoyed driving this car and enjoyed the warm welcome from the Indiana Region Chapter of the Model A Restorers Club. The Model A is a fun peice of history to drive around and gets a lot of looks and conversations. However, I've got a sports car bug and only room for one fun car in the garage.

Lots of pictures are here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al6YHeXyjVT3p3Ac...95kvM?e=bH6ic6
You can view the pictures on that link, and you can see full-resolution versions of any picture by clicking a link to download the picture.

The car starts, runs, and drives and stops well. The interior is in good shape, with what appears to be the correct mohair interior and fabric patterns, and it has a correct rose beige paint with orange pin striping. Paint is in fairly good condition, but has some defects, and is an older paint job. I tried to take close up pictures so you can see the paint condition. The top is in good condition in most areas.

This car is an older restoration, with approximately 1000 miles on odometer, total mileage unknown. I have put all but about 30 of the 1000 miles on it in the last two years. I bought this car from a member of the local Model A club, who bought it from an estate. The gentleman I got it from replaced the non-functioning odometer and got the brakes working, but only put a few miles on it. So we don't know much about its history before that, but estimate that the restoration was no more recent than ten to fifteen years ago.

Engine number A263177 (corresponds to July 1928 engine build date), and has "7 23 28" stamped on drivers-side firewall in engine compartment. "VIN" on title matches the engine number. Has cowl vent door, which is a feature of early Fordors (they eliminated that vent because they realized it just lets in hot air from the engine). Steering wheel looks to be original. I haven't lifted the body to look at the stamp on the frame, so I don't know for sure that it's the original engine, but the serial number, firewall stamp, and early Fordor features are consistent with it being the original engine.

When I got the car, it had a shimmy, so I replaced the king pins and bushings, replaced Pittman arm with a stock-length unit. That got rid of the shimmy, but there is still quite a bit of free play in the steering wheel (around 2in at edge of steering wheel). However, the car handles fairly well (although, this is the only Model A I've driven), and is very comfortable at 45-50 mph. I've had it up to 55 and it was fine but the rpms are a bit high at that speed. The 7-tooth steering box has been restored previously, and has needle bearings, but still has excessive play. I've considered replacing with a properly restored 2-tooth steering box, but since the shimmy is gone, I decided not to bother with it (also, I prefer keeping the original splined steering wheel with the 7-tooth box).

It is setup with 12V negative ground with alternator. I put on a new Model A distributor with modern upper plate and condenser. No idea what the distributor was that was on there previously, but a club member commented that it wasn't from a Model A or Model B. I have timing indicator kit mounted by crank pulley for measuring timing with a timing light. New 12V coil. I've been replacing 6V bulbs as they burn out, since apparently the person who did the conversion to 12V (at least two owners ago) didn't bother with details like that. I put on a rebuilt zenith carburetor restored by Glen Pensinger in Michigan (bought off eBay). I have the Tillotson carburetor that I took off that needs cleaning/refurb. Car is running pretty well now, and it starts right up, as long as I remember to adjust the choke and throttle position properly . Horn works, still wired for 6V, so I have a custom-designed step-down voltage converter to run the horn. I also have a horn resistor kit (not installed). Electric wiper works. All windows roll up and down freely.

Hydraulic brakes, new modern-style moulded pads. I replaced the hydraulic brake light switch. The brakes work reasonably well, can easily lock up the tires. Per answers to a post on FordBarn, the backing plates appear to come out a 46-48 Ford and front spindles from a 37-41 Ford. Tires have good tread, age unknown, but rubber still reasonably soft and not dry rotted or cracking.

Have rear seatbelts installed, well anchored. Have new belts for front but not installed (need to install a good support, which I have but haven't installed). Doors close/latch reasonably well, but rear passenger door takes more effort.

I have drained and refilled the transmission and rear axle/banjo with 600W oil. Cooling performance seems ok, but I haven't done many long drives when it's been hot out, but one time I did the motometer indicated it was getting hot (I've sinced flushed the radiator and have 50/50 antifreeze/water in there now). Haven't measured compression, but it does hold on a reasonable incline when parked and left in reverse.

Negatives: It sometimes pulls to the left the first few times the brakes are applied but then brakes straight without pulling - probably someone with more experience could adjust that out. Parking brake not working, though it just needs the cable to be adjusted (take up some slack). I have a hand-crank, but the hole under the radiator doesn't align properly with the guide in the frame and the crank pulley, so can't use the hand crank (I took a couple pictures to illustrate). The exhaust is a bit leaky (I think mostly at muffler clamp and maybe also exhaust manifold gasket) - I always keep the windows open for fresh air. I had a muffler clamp connector pipe and copper gasket and muffler cement in there before to seal it up, but the clamp came loose while driving recently and I took the extra stuff out so that the clamp would fit on there better. I have a new exhaust manifold gasket that I haven't installed, but would probably help too. The car drips a bit of oil when parked (I'd guess equivalent to a teaspoon?), not enough to consume any noticeable amount of oil though. Driver-side rear hub had some of the hub bolts come loose and spinning (hard to torque down the wheel lugs), so I had Larry Purcell, a well known Model A guy south of Indianapolis, replace all the hub bolts, but he wasn't 100% confident in the repair because that one hub doesn't appear to be from a Model A or 38-48 Ford. I can't torque down a couple of the lug nuts on the repaired hub as far as I'd like, so that repair job might not be holding as well as I'd like. Throttle idle position needs adjustment - it was off when I installed the new carburetor, so the idle adjust on the column needs to be ~40% position at idle - just another thing I didn't get around to fixing. Door trim panel coming loose in spots on driver door. The rubber strap that holds the driver door from opening too far is broken, but I haven't fixed it because I didn't want to take the door trim panel off. I don't have a key for the lock on passenger door handle, haven't replaced it because I didn't want to take the door trim panel off.
Contact Andrew
317-374-6175
[email protected]

Last edited by AndrewIndyA; 12-09-2019 at 11:26 PM. Reason: formatting, corrected dates on spindles
AndrewIndyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:22 PM   #2
AndrewIndyA

Default Re: 1928 Model A Fordor

Here are a few key pictures from the photo album linked above. Let me know if anyone has trouble viewing that album linked above.

IMG_5927_small.jpg

IMG_5930_small.jpg

IMG_5924_small.jpg

IMG_5931_small.jpg

IMG_5967_small.jpg

IMG_5979_small.jpg

IMG_5994_small.jpg

IMG_6003_small.jpg

Last edited by AndrewIndyA; 12-09-2019 at 11:39 PM. Reason: fixing attempt to upload pictures
Old 12-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #3
AndrewIndyA

bump...
Old 12-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #4
AndrewIndyA

bump, with a picture after some detailing this weekend. Those whitewalls cleaned up nicely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EAA1377B-3E9A-430D-A09C-EF52EF62E948.jpg (79.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #5
AndrewIndyA

bump
Old 02-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
AndrewIndyA

Another bump
Old 02-21-2020, 11:12 PM   #7
AndrewIndyA

Price reduced to $12,000
Old 03-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #8
AndrewIndyA

bump