Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Commercial-type Buffer/Polisher recommendations needed.

I am in the market for a good quality heavy-duty buffer and am going to see about purchasing one at Hershey this year. Has anyone purchased one in the last year or two that they can recommend?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Charles Reese

Default Re: Commercial-type Buffer/Polisher recommendations needed.

i have been very happy with my Porter Cable #7424. but then mine is a one-time restoration so cant attest to its longevity in your busy shop. very forgiving for this novice!
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Gary WA

Go to Griots car care in Fife WA. their web is www.griotsgarage.com. A super place for products.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
MikeK

Brent,
I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by "heavy duty". I've used commercial buffing machines for casting finishing from 1972 to 2000. I would classify anything you find at Hershey as a toy, including those little 1.5 hp Baldors with the dangerous exposed extended live shafts.

You need not less than 3 hp, spindle dia 1" or more, at least 3" clamp space between flanges, and a bolted floor mount that will not flex.

I suggest you search the used machinery dealers. I assume you have 3 phase in your shop. Here's a decent machine:

Hammond Buffer Link
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Wick

I bought the Makita buffer this year,its got different speed settings (thumb wheel) the lowest setting is 500 rpm I think. Cost me on line $185 and came with a carry bag. Ive used it alot,buffed out the camper sides yesterday. I looked at dewalt,millwalkee,black and decker also.
Ive been using White Diamond Products with it. You can get those at hershey also.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I think there may be some confusion. This would be a unit for polishing aluminum/stainless/brass, --not paint. Thanks anyway for your comments and recommendations.

Mike, while I appreciate your input, your idea and mine regarding the definitions of 'toy', 'heavy duty', and 'commercial' are a tad different. I am not looking for a 'commercial unit' like you used, but instead a 'heavy duty' unit such as a 1½ horsepower 220v unit like the Baldor or similar.

I do have 3 phase in my shop however again, that is not the type unit I am in the market for. IMO, anything under ¾ horsepower that does not have ball bearings is a 'hobbyist's toy'. I am wanting extended shafts and something semi-portable to move around the shop (and outside during dirty operations).

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
glenn in camino

If you're using it for paint you want an oscillating buffer and not one that spins. I use the +_ $40 ones and if one quits, I throw it away and buy another. I never buy the overpriced extended warranty. Expensive tools are a waste if money for a hobbiest.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
Ron in Quincy

I've had a Baldor 110/230, extended shafts, ball bearings, 3/4" shafts, as I recall its 3/4 hp, for 10 years. I've run it on 110 all these years, buffed out stainless shells, headlight, tail lights and even buffed out a airplane radial stainless exhaust for a friend. I've had no problems other than installing new pads. Using good buffing compound seems to give better results. I have it installed on a pedistol stand, with a big base, so I can move it around. One of the better investments I've made.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #9
roadster31

Brent, I bought the Baldor 220v buffer/polisher from Grizzly; not a toy. it weighs well over 100 lbs. with a 3,450 motor, the shaft is a bit over three feet. Hang on tight it can throw what ever you are polishing an amazing distance. I used to make custom hunting knives and I polished a lot of stone so it has many hours on it. I am almost afraid to use it on a radiator shell; if that thing ever cought an edge it would hit you over the head multiple times and then bash it against the floor. seriously, it is a good professional quality tool. Regards, E LaBrash
roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
john in illinois

I have 2 Baldors. 3?4 and 1/2 hp. The small one is ancient and has always worked with no maintainance.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Jim Huseby

'Just got a new Burr King industrial set up this morning, manufactured in USA. It is more versatile than I can mentally adjust to yet, and is about 3 times faster than my previous results on aluminum and brass castings, Model A stainless, and a couple intricate steering wheel spiders. Their web site is www.burrking.com. Email me and I can give you what particulars I have observed.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote