Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2021, 02:21 AM   #41
Brian

Default Re: wheel balance

Tinker, no, you need to put the beads inside the inner tube[s] if that's what you're running.
That's the fun part...although I can do each tire/tube assembly now in about 4 minutes each. My technique; You need to fit the tire/tube assembly onto the rim. With the wheel standing upright [I normally do them when they're fitted to vehicle] position the valve stem so it's about the two o'clock position.... remove the tire valve, this will fully deflate the tire. Find a drill bit that will go down the valve stem neatly, without damaging the threads. there seems to be a bit of a rubber flap or something at the base of the stem. I think it's about 5 mm [3/16"] Drill it out [don't drill right through the opposite side of the tube!] I use a ketchup bottle with a nozzle on it that I can slip a piece of clear plastic tubing over, the plastic tubing sized to go neatly over the threaded portion of the valve stem that the dustcap screws onto. Pour the required amount of beads into the ketchup bottle, screw on the lid, fit the tubing, pour some beads down the tubing; you'll need to pour sufficient in to allow them to back up will a coupla inches. Remove the end of the tubing from the nozzle on the bottle, whilst holding the tube up sufficiently to prevent the beads running back down onto the floor. Using an compressed air gun, just give the free end of the tube a puff or two, [not a hard, continuous blow, just a coupla light little puffs] and suddenly the beads will blow into the tire! Pour some more into the plastic tube, and repeat the blow etc until all beads are in the tire. Fit the special valve that comes with the dynabeads, and inflate tire to your desired pressure.

I have posted on a diffrent thread on here about dynabeads and given a website link. Try doing a google for dynabeads, there is a website that tells what quantity is required per tire size, also gives helpful hints about fitting said beads. They talk about using vibrators etc to work the beads in, I've found blowing them in as described above works very well, the main thing being [and they don't mention this] to run a drill through the valve stem first to open up the opening.
I assure you, at first you'll struggle, but by the time you've done all 5 wheels, you'll have it down pat, and once you've driven the vehicle, you'll be sold on them. Enjoy, Brian
Old 09-04-2021, 02:25 AM   #42
Tinker

So i have to cut my tube and put beads in it, then patch it?. Guess I'm confused. May be easier to get an adapter that any tire company can use.

I see maybe how this is something with radials.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:04 AM   #43
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
So i have to cut my tube and put beads in it, then patch it?. Guess I'm confused. May be easier to get an adapter that any tire company can use.

I see maybe how this is something with radials.
The tube is not cut. Any interference in the air filler is removed to allow ease of installation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air nozzle.jpg (32.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 09-04-2021, 07:57 AM   #44
Pete pa

The tires on my HD springer are bias ply tires and tubes, it is a little tuff to install the beads thru the valve stem and sometimes you may need a little more with some tires having heavy spots. I only buy Dunlap tires and HD tubes, and reuse the tube in the new tires, I change my own tires on my bike, I don't trust them to the dealers, if there is a problem its only me to blame.
Pete pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:16 PM   #45
Brian

Thank you MERC 51 CT for the diagram. What Merc calls the air filler, I've called the valve stem. I have found that often there seems to be a piece of rubber or something where the 'air filler' is attached to the tube. Like, the hole hasn't been punched through correctly. Anyway, I use a drill bit to clear this obstruction, then the dynabeads are so easy to blow into the tube.
Yes, my old HD also runs bias ply tires. Upon fitting my last front tire, it had a very bad pogo stick action , almost uncontrollable to ride. I installed beads , viola! sweet to ride again.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #46
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yes, my old HD also runs bias ply tires. Upon fitting my last front tire, it had a very bad pogo stick action , almost uncontrollable to ride. I installed beads , viola! sweet to ride again.
Had the same situation on my old BMW with a Dunlop tire, the beads cured it.