Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #161
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy dehoux View Post
Sound like you have one of the original carbon seal failing on you and leaking out from the pourous bushing which are known to leak after a while. Skips rebuild water pumps are the best and using a seal bearing and you do not have to put oil in the upright oillers they will be there for look only. Vic when I did my spark plug wire loom I build a template with a piece of 3/4 plywood and bolted it down so that it would be more stable to feed all of the wires through then I removed the wire loom tube from the fixture and installed it back on the motor very easy to do.

Frenchy
Thanks Frenchy, I didn't know that Skips rebuild made it unnecessary to oil the pumps, that'll save making a mess... I got all the wires run through the looms, only had a little trouble with the ones that cross over from side to side. I'm looking forward to installing the looms and now, getting the water pumps done.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #162
Steves46

Hi Vic. Sorry to hear about the water pump. Fortunately it didn't go out completely when you did your cruise up to Spring Hill last Sat. Old cars-gotta love em! Steve
Old 05-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #163
Vic Piano

Hi Steve, yup, I'm glad she didn't leave me stranded on the highway... What about this Saturday, think you'll make it up to my place so we can cruise on up to the Breakfast Club? Vic
Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #164
frenchy dehoux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Thanks Frenchy, I didn't know that Skips rebuild made it unnecessary to oil the pumps, that'll save making a mess... I got all the wires run through the looms, only had a little trouble with the ones that cross over from side to side. I'm looking forward to installing the looms and now, getting the water pumps done.

Vic also once you have the wire loom tubes installed the center covers will be difficult to installed as you will need to squized the other tubes closer to the intake manifolds so the two center pieces can stay on. The first time I installed the water pumps I had put oil in them and it took a while for all of the oil to come out not knowing that I did not need to fill them at all.

Take care
Frenchy
frenchy dehoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #165
Vic Piano

Frenchy, I put the looms together with the center covers in place and put plastic tie wraps around the looms to keep the center cover in place... I'll see if that works... If it does, once I have the looms secure, I'll cut the tie wraps off. (See photo)
Old 05-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #166
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Update on water pump leak. Yesterday I put some Barrs (spelling) stop leak in the LZ to see if it would slow the water leaking from the passenger side water pump at the pulley. I let the engine run for a few minutes and than took her for a ride, after about a half hour and with the water up to normal temp (180) I pulled into the garage and shut her off. Several hours later I checked to see how much, if any water was pooled on the garage floor... The good news is; there was very little water leaking and, when I went to check this morning there was no additional water so, now I'll move forward with the plan to install the wire looms, etc. and be able to drive the Zephyr for at least a few days before I pull the pumps and send them to Skip for rebuilding...
Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #167
Vic Piano

Well, this was the "lost weekend" as far as doing any work/play with the Flatheads except for riding shotgun with Steve (in his '46 Coupe) up to the Breakfast Club on Saturday . Right now I'm playing the waiting game... Please Mr. Postman look and see… if there's a package of parts for me... before I can do any more work on the Zephyr. Oh, I did fix the John Deere lawn tractor so I got to mow the lawn...

Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #168
Vic Piano

Yesterday was a Red Letter Day as I finally got some of the boxes full of kitchen appliances out of the garage and into the house... Now I've got to clean up and rearrange things to make it easier, and more fun, to work on the Flatheads... Hopefully I'll install the plug wire looms in the LZ this Saturday.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #169
Lawson Cox

Gotta keep Mama happy. lol
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #170
Vic Piano

Yup, just one more week (I hope) and I'll be able to get to (and use) the parts cleaner that has been trapped behind the refrigerator box for I don't remember how long... I even mopped the floor (at least the part that I could see)!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #171
Vic Piano

Another weekend has come and gone with no work done on the LZ or any of the other (always in need of something) Flatheads in our garage... I did take the LZ out for a nice ride on Saturday morning but spent the rest of the weekend working in the yard... Maybe this week I'll take some time and install the plug wires & looms in the LZ... Next week I want to try and get the '51 F-1 in the garage, to pull the transmission, so we can install the '49 Merc O/D transmission. I've never done a conversion like this before and, aside from having to shorten the drive shaft, I'm not sure if we'll need to make any other modifications. If any of you have done a swap like this, I'd sure appreciate some helpful advice. Thanks, Vic
Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #172
Vic Piano

Trying to get a head start on the long weekend so, at 7:30 this morning I washed both '39's and the '63 Avanti...
Old 05-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #173
Lawson Cox

I couldn't wash even one. I wear out too easily. You can come up and wash a couple of my cars any time you would like some exercise. LOL
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #174
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
I couldn't wash even one. I wear out too easily. You can come up and wash a couple of my cars any time you would like some exercise. LOL
Lawson, I'm still trying to catch my breath......
Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #175
Hamtown Al

Are you planning on driving all 3? You FLA folks are good but I didn't realize you were that good! Have a great time.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #176
Vic Piano

Al, I drive em all, albeit not at the same time although, I would if I could...
Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #177
Vic Piano

Grease Question

When we rebuilt the LZ’s transmission, I installed an NOS U joint and new gaskets. I packed the U joint with Corn Head grease and, after assembly I pumped more grease into the housing. Everything is working well except that after driving the car and letting it sit overnight, I’m finding little Corn Head “gifts” on the garage floor. I’ve driven the LZ about 500 miles and the other day, after finding more grease on the floor; I pumped almost a full tube of Corn Head grease into the housing. This grease is “low Temp” so that it lubricates the U joint instead of just coating the interior of the housing through centrifugal force. I have not been able to identify the area that the grease is leaking from and I’m wondering if packing the U joint will just become another part of normal maintenance only on a more frequent basis… Have any of you had a similar experience using Corn Head Grease
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #178
frenchy dehoux

Quote:
Grease Question

When we rebuilt the LZ’s transmission, I installed an NOS U joint and new gaskets. I packed the U joint with Corn Head grease and, after assembly I pumped more grease into the housing. Everything is working well except that after driving the car and letting it sit overnight, I’m finding little Corn Head “gifts” on the garage floor. I’ve driven the LZ about 500 miles and the other day, after finding more grease on the floor; I pumped almost a full tube of Corn Head grease into the housing. This grease is “low Temp” so that it lubricates the U joint instead of just coating the interior of the housing through centrifugal force. I have not been able to identify the area that the grease is leaking from and I’m wondering if packing the U joint will just become another part of normal maintenance only on a more frequent basis… Have any of you had a similar experience using Corn Head Grease
Vic

After I have driven my Hot Rod Lincoln a few miles I have noticed a small amount of grease / oil on the floor coming directly from the clam shell where the grease is put in at the fitting somehow it must be the cork strips that you install in the the half clam shell it must be bypassing the seal and leaking out just a small amount nothing to worry. I have the 39 Zephyr transmission in my car. See a picture of the clam shell below also the movement of the enclosed drive tube up and down passing by between the clam shell and the tube.

Thanks
Frenchy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 8.jpg (71.2 KB, 126 views)
frenchy dehoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #179
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy dehoux View Post
Vic

After I have driven my Hot Rod Lincoln a few miles I have noticed a small amount of grease / oil on the floor coming directly from the clam shell where the grease is put in at the fitting somehow it must be the cork strips that you install in the the half clam shell it must be bypassing the seal and leaking out just a small amount nothing to worry. I have the 39 Zephyr transmission in my car. See a picture of the clam shell below also the movement of the enclosed drive tube up and down passing by between the clam shell and the tube.

Thanks
Frenchy
Frenchy,
Thanks for letting me know I’m not the only one, I thought it might be a normal "Lincoln Leak", I'll just have to remember to check it more frequently.
Vic
Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #180
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Grease Question

Hey Vic, Is your nos u-joint one of the Lincoln joints with needle bearings or a Ford joint ? Im considering putting a Ford joint in my Zephyr,every Lincoln joint I have seen is worn out . Seems to me there would have to be some thin grease in there to work its way into one of those Lincoln joints. Anyone else have any thoughts on this ?
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote