Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #121
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
The dogbone you removed isnt correct for the Zephyr . The other two look to be correct. The Zephyr dogbone doesnt have a rubber bushing inside of it,the steel ball end of the stud is crimped in there much like a ball joint or tie rod end.
Ken, I know that the dog bones that were on the car are not the correct ones; they measured 5 inches while the correct measurement is 4 inches. The replacement NOS dog bones are correct. I'm anticipating noticeable ride improvement with the rear shocks that were rebuilt by Bill Wzorek.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #122
Vic Piano

Well, I'm finally done with weekend travels (for a while anyway) so I hope we can get back on the Zephyr this Saturday. I've decided to reinstall the original rear end while we update the Columbia. The Columbia was working, when it was removed from a '39 Zephyr Coupe, but I'd rather go completely through it (even if it’s not necessary) before we install it...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #123
Vic Piano

Saturday Play Time is Back
Yes, after a several week hiatus we were back in the garage working on the Zephyr. Mike came over and the two of us got the rear end back in the car and got the backing plates, brakes, rear shocks (thanks again to Bill Wzorek) all buttoned up. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do some more tomorrow like put the drums, wheels and tires on. After that all that's left to do is adjust and bleed the brakes.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #124
Vic Piano

This morning I installed the drums and mounted the wheels and tires. I also started to clean up the garage... Looks like that'll take longer then putting the LZ back together...
Old 04-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #125
Vic Piano

She's Back... Yes, we got the Zephyr buttoned up today. After a long nap she awoke and drove like a dream. Mike, Don & Steve came over to my place, (after we all met at the Saturday Breakfast Club), to give me a hand with the brakes, the final adjustment before firing her up to take a ride with the transmission we rebuilt (thanks to Mac VanPelt) and all the new bushings and especially the rear shocks (that Bill Wzorek rebuilt) working together to produce an outstanding ride. Imagine that!!! Thanks again to Mike, Don & Steve for all their help...

Next up, the '51 F-1. We'll install the '49 Merc OD transmission... Should be FUN.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #126
Henry/Kokomo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Congrats! Well done.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #127
Vic Piano

Thanks Henry, I appreciate that. Vic
Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #128
Vic Piano

Well, its day two of the reassembled '39 Zephyr being back on the road and I still can't get over how nice she drives.

Yesterday, after all the guys left, I put the console and other assorted interior pieces back together and took her for a nice long drive.

Now all I have left to do on the LZ is a little bodywork, paint, interior, top, install the new wiring harness etc., gee, I'm almost done... Imagine that!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #129
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
She's Back... Yes, we got the Zephyr buttoned up today. After a long nap she awoke and drove like a dream. Mike, Don & Steve came over to my place, (after we all met at the Saturday Breakfast Club), to give me a hand with the brakes, the final adjustment before firing her up to take a ride with the transmission we rebuilt (thanks to Mac VanPelt) and all the new bushings and especially the rear shocks (that Bill Wzorek rebuilt) working together to produce an outstanding ride. Imagine that!!! Thanks again to Mike, Don & Steve for all their help...

Next up, the '51 F-1. We'll install the '49 Merc OD transmission... Should be FUN.
I imagine I'd have to get that Weed-Eater tuned-up and in use before ya "lose" that F-1.

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #130
Vic Piano

Yup, its tough keeping four acres trimmed when you have a choice between cuttin' grass and playin' with Flatheads... I'll take the latter every time. Here's a friendly suggestion, pull out the dictionary and look up plagiarism... You might find that your attempt at an imaginative use of the word falls short of the intended message. I did not claim to be the author of the quote. While you're at it, keep this in mind, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Glad to see you’re still a fan… Imagine that… LOL
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #131
Vic Piano

Ya know the old saying “if it Ain’t Broke Don’t Fix It”… Well, that doesn’t necessarily apply when dealing with an old car that someone (or perhaps several someone’s) had a hand in making changes and/or (you hope) improvements on the various systems over the years. Today I ran into such a situation with the ’39 Zephyr. After reassembling all the components in the car, I must have jostled something because the brake lights weren’t working as they had been before we took everything apart. I actually have a complete (new) wiring harness for the Zephyr however, I don’t want to install it until after the car is painted so, as a result, I myself have had a hand in fixing and or modifying things that (due to age or whatever) have gone awry over the time that we’ve had the Zephyr. Well I set out to find the problem with the brake lights and ended up having to disassemble the consol to trace the origin of the repair. Looking at the mish-mash wiring job done by a previous owner, if I didn’t know better, I’d swear that Rub Goldberg must have owned the Zephyr at one point… Anyway, I fixed the brake light problem and now I’ve got to figure out why the windshield wipers don’t work… It sure is fun playin’ with these old cars.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #132
BILL WZOREK

Vic:
Wipers NO PROBLEM
Had a girl that worked for us years ago.
The wipers on her car quit so she tied a piece of Bailing twine,one end to one wiper then through the vent window across the dash out the other vent window the to the other wiper.
In the rain she would move the twine back & forth actuating the wipers.
Funny thing is it worked great.

A little foot note: She got pulled over by the police on day. When he saw that wiper assist apprentice He began to laugh so hard he forgot what he pulled her over for and sent her on her Mary way.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #133
Vic Piano

Bill, I appreciate the ingenuity. Thankfully however, I won't have to employ such an imaginative solution to the problem... I fixed the wipers (at least for now...)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #134
Gabby

Zepher is looking good Vic. This weekend at carlisle swap meet my son picked up a Zephyr wide 5 hubcap for some high class garage art. Enjoyed my visit to your home, Earl C
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #135
Vic Piano

Thanks Earl, I appreciate that. If you happen to find a nice pair of '38 LZ Hubcaps, I'm looking for two to put on our '39 CS. Vic
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #136
Vic Piano

I found the windshield wiper problem, a dry rotted rubber hose causing a vacuum leak. I installed a new hose and now everything works... I ordered a new set of plug wires (hopefully they'll arrive today) and distributor gasket set and rubber boots. I've already installed the generator/voltage regulator wire in the wire looms and I'm looking forward to installing the plug wires... If I get a chance, at lunch time, I'll change the oil and filter. Trying to get everything done so I can drive the Zephyr up to the Saturday Breakfast Club (130 mile round trip).
Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #137
Vic Piano

I went in search of oil filter cartridges for the '39 LZ at lunch time (took the LZ out for a ride), first stop was the local Advance Auto Parts store. Advance had one cartridge at the warehouse, the cost for the cartridge was $6.45 but they wanted to charge me $6.00 for shipping... Next I called NAPA, they told me they could get one for me but they would have to order it and the cost for the cartridge was $17.00. Needless to say, those two options didn't sit well with me so, I did what I should have done in the first place, I called Joblot. James told me they had around 150 cartridges in stock and they were $8.00 each. I asked him to send me six! Thanks James. Vic
Old 05-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #138
Ken/Alabama

Hey Vic, I thought you were installing a Columbia in your Zephyr.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #139
oldford2

Vic,
How long are your "lunch hours"?
Just curious
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #140
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Hey Vic, I thought you were installing a Columbia in your Zephyr.
Ken I do have the Columbia but, even though I know it was in working order when I got it, I decided to go through it and freshen it up before installing it.