Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #281
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Tom, I think you might be right. I was concerned that the rims might allow air to leak without a tube but, so far, the tire and rim are holding air.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #282
Vic Piano

Still Holding Air

It has been several days since I mounted the tire and rim (sans the tube) and yesterday I drove the '39 to do some weekend chores and the left front tire is still holding air without a tube...

Sadly, we got no other work done with Flatheads this weekend…
Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #283
41ford1

I don't think you will have a problem. The rivets holding the hoop to the center usually are gas tight and dont leak. I've heard of the rivet area being painted with Glyptal to insure sealing of the rivets. Glyptal is a rubbery paint usually used for electrical insulation. I've run tubeless tires on riveted rims without leaks. Those were on a 57 F100 with 16" rims and a 53 Mainline sedan with 15" rims I was associated with back in ancient times, the mid '60s.

No work done. Oh well, atleast you got to drive them.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #284
Vic Piano

I am pleased with the results thus far, I hope that this means I'll be able to eliminate the tubes (as they go bad) and run tubeless radials on the '39 CS from now on... Now I can refocus my attention to the Zephyr transmission once again…
Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #285
Vic Piano

Rain...Rain... Go Away...

While a large part of the country is unfortunately experiencing a drought, here in central Florida we are having an abundance of precipitation, resulting in a slowdown of outdoor work/play opportunities. This coming weekend I hope to open up the '46 Ford transmission (I've had sitting on a shelf for some time) to see if the gear set is suitable for transplanting into the '39 LZ gearbox... We are also anticipating a visit from another transplanted Long Islander and his '36 Roadster. Hopefully the sun will make a reappearance for the weekends festivities...
Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #286
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This Weather is for the Birds...

We have been faced with unrelenting rain for days... The weather reports say that things will improve by the weekend, one can only hope.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #287
41ford1

With all the rain your getting I hope none of your engines end up like the one Mart pulled out of that 33 he posted. All that water could be used in other parts of the country for sure.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #288
Vic Piano

I saw the Flathead that Mart pulled out of the '33, I don't think I've ever seen one that nasty... The rain has not stopped and 60% of the yard is under at least two inches of water in the shallow areas...

The front yard looks like the Erie Canal...
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #289
Lawson Cox

Just hope the gators don't come calling again. LOL
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #290
Vic Piano

It’s too late... I've already seen two gators in the water down at the street, by the mail box... Its that time of the season right now so they are feeling a bit amorous, but once the water recedes (if it ever does) they'll retreat to the swamp...
Old 07-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #291
1931 flamingo

Vic: How do you cook the birds and get the feathers off??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #292
Vic Piano

Paul, the general rule is to "pluck" the feathers before you cook the bird... However, to be clear, I rely on the grocery store for meat and poultry, etc. I've never gone "on the hunt" for anything but Ford parts and two legged deer. Vic
Old 07-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #293
Vic Piano

Several months ago I went to a local car club meeting and met a guy who has a '35 Deluxe Tudor Humpback Sedan. He told me that the car had been in his family from the mid '40's. Apparently the car has not been run in a number of years and he would like to get it back on the road but he is not familiar with Flatheads, so I offered to give him a hand getting the '35 running. He has collected a number of items i.e., rebuilt carb, fuel pump, distributor, plug wires, etc., so, at lunch time today I drove to his house to check out the '35. Unfortunately I did not bring a camera so I can't post any photos. Suffice it to say, the car is an excellent survivor and should come back to life without too much work. We set out to install the new plug wires in the looms only to find that the plug wire ends would not seat and stay in the terminal plate. We didn't have any other "ends" to try so we went on to attach the coil to the distributor. I asked if the coil had been rebuilt and he said no... I suggested that he send the coil to Skip Haney if he wanted to use the "stock Ford" set up. Meanwhile he can order some other plug wire tips. When we removed the wire loom from the drivers side we found that the coil and generator wiring was in pretty bad shape. He has a new full wiring harness from Rhode Island wiring but I told him that that is a whole other can of worms to get into and that we could use heat shrink on the wires just to get things started. Come to think of it, I didn't see a generator on the car and I forgot to ask if he had had it rebuilt as well. I had to get back to work so I told him to let me know when he has all the parts, coil, etc. and I'd come back over and see if we could get her up and running... More Flathead Fun.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #294
Vic Piano

Wow... the sun is out... and most of the water has dissipated, still a little "squishy" (technical term used by meteorologist) in some spots... Hopefully the yard will be dry enough for cars to drive on so we can get in some Flathead play time tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #295
Vic Piano

It's Saturday and the sun is out so our flathead fun resumes. Keith (a former Long Islander) drove over in his '36 Roadster powered by a '40 221ci. nicely dressed up Flathead with a C-4 automatic.

We installed a set of Autolite 437 spark plugs and adjusted the timing and tweaked a few other things, she sure is a healthy Flathead. Here are Mike & Keith hard at work...

While they were swapping plugs in the '36, I opened up the '46 transmission that I had sitting on a shelf...

Everything looks good so the plan is to pull the transmission out of the Zephyr (again) and transfer all the '46 gears into the '39 LZ case... Keith & Mike took the '36 for a ride to see how she would run...

Just as they pulled back into the yard, Don showed up with his new toy, a '47 Pickup.

We finished tweaking the '36 and it was time for PIZZA... All in all another fun filled day messin' with Flatheads.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #296
Vic Piano

Déjà vu All Over Again

Yes, the rains have returned... however, the weather girl on a local TV station says that this Wednesday through Sunday, sunny skies will be back (I sure hope so). We’ll also tackle the ’39 LZ transmission issue yet again. The gears in the ’46 transmission look really good so I’m hoping everything will function properly once we’ve completed the transplant. I hope this will be the final time for removal and reinstallation of the transmission.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #297
Vic Piano

In my continued attempts to amuse, entertain (and yes)... inform my fellow Flathead enthusiasts, I thought I'd pass along this information as some of you may not know about this source for restoration parts. The company is R.J. & L., located in Penfield, NY phone # 315-986-7121. www.RJLAUTOFASTENERS.com. I just got some distributor terminal tips (7mm) and some straight and some angled (7mm) Rajah spark plug wire tips. Excellent products, excellent pricing and excellent service. They also have a selection of OEM fasteners, etc.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #298
41ford1

Small world! My sister lives in Penfield and knows where it is. She never bothered to mention any thing about it until I asked her tonight. Somehow there is a lesson there.
Don's truck looks good. Any details?

Last edited by 41ford1; 07-23-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Don's truck
Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #299
Vic Piano

As far as I know, Don's '47 was built in New England; one of the guys in the "Breakfast Club" got it on a trade and did some body modifications before Don picked it up. It may be hard to tell by the photo angle but the front fenders look like they have been widened and the wheel wells have been reshaped to mimic the rear fender wheel openings. I think the truck sits on a Nova (or some kind of Chevy) front clip and is powered by an sbc with automatic and a Ford 9" rear. I drove the truck up to the Breakfast Club and it is a nice driver. I’m sure Don will have a lot of fun with it.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #300
Vic Piano

This Saturday it looks like we'll be back to "square one" with the Zephyr. We'll once again remove the interior front seat, console and transmission cover then pull the rear back so we can remove the transmission and disassemble it... Is it time for Pizza yet...? We'll also try to get the '46 transmission gears removed and installed into the Zephyr gear box...