Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #261
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

My friend Don bought a '47 Ford Pickup (Street Rod) and we drove it up to the Breakfast Club this morning (I didn't have a camera with me). After breakfast we drove over to my friend Mike's to help him with his '41 BC. After that we drove back to my house and Don helped me push the '53 Sunliner and '55 Speedster (they are not running yet) out of the garage on the house because Monday we will have garage doors installed finally...

Yesterday I broke my eyeglasses so, after I cleaned up the garage, I drove the '39 LZ to the Drug Store and picked up a pair... when I pulled back into the driveway,

my friends the Sand hill Cranes were waiting for lunch...

Now its time for something cold to drink...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #262
Vic Piano

The Best Laid Plans...

Have once again gone awry... The garage doors (ordered five weeks ago) were supposed to be installed today... When the installer opened the first box we found that they were the wrong doors... Hopefully we won't have to wait another five weeks for the correct ones... Now we’ve got to push the ’53 & ’55 back into the garage…
Old 07-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #263
V8COOPMAN

Really hate to hear about your continued bad luck with inept contractors. The garage door situation isn't quite as bad as the professional that installed and "tied-down" your propane tank. Your tank looks to be a 1000 gallon unit. Could ya ever imagine that an empty 1000 gal. tank produces about 6977 pounds of buoyancy (lift) in fresh water, even considering the average weight of the empty vessel itself at 1725 lbs? No way those "weenie" auger-type tie-downs pictured ever had a chance. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #264
Vic Piano

V8COOPMAN, you are right about that..! The propane company is supposed to be out here today to correct the problems...We will see. On another note (talking about bad luck) yesterday the synchronizer in the '39 LZ started acting up, I guess I'll have to get to work on the Columbia's internals sooner then I expected, because I don't want to pull the transmission out of the car and reinstall the stock rear a second time. I've got a rebuilt '46 transmission sitting on a shelf in the garage... I’m not sure if the '46 internals with fit into the '39 transmission but I'm going to find out… More Flathead fun to look forward to.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #265
Vic Piano

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

And I’m not talking about Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Clef and Eli Wallach… First The Good FedEx delivered the ’39 LZ floor pans from Paul Bradley and they are a thing of beauty…

The Bad I’m still waiting to see the propane tank reburied… And The Ugly a muck and mud filled hole where the propane tank is suppose to rest…

And now, it's raining again... Hope we can get something done in the garage this weekend...
Old 07-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #266
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Early Birthday Gift

My birthday is next Tuesday, and last night my wife asked me what I would like for a birthday gift. At the time I was reading the latest copy of Viva CARRERA!, the Road Race Lincoln Register Magazine and came upon an ad for a Lincoln/Mercury sign available from the California Car Cover catalog... I said that I'd like one for the garage; she shrugged her shoulders and went back to watching television... Well, today she brought in a large gift wrapped package and told me it was my birthday present. I told her that I could not wait until Tuesday to find out (I guess I'm still a kid in that regard) what it was so... I opened it and this is what she got for me...

She told me that she had ordered it a month ago and had it delivered to her mom's house... a great surprise from a great wife...
Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #267
41ford1

Thats how it goes. just when you think they don't give a ..... what we like. They go and surprise us. Got to love them for putting up with the our disease.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #268
oldford2

Vic,
Happy Birthday!!

Now, you have 3 Lincolns and 5 Fords (not to mention those Studebakers). You will have to find a Mercury. How about a black 52 convertible lowered, slight chop, and skirts.

John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #269
Vic Piano

Thanks John, you know me too well... I'd like a '39 Merc convertible to go with the '39 Ford CS & '39 LZ however, any Merc would be just fine (convertible that is)... LOL

Now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind a nice custom bodied '39 Lincoln Model K Victoria, convertible Sedan or Cabriolet either... Maybe for my next birthday.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #270
Vic Piano

This morning walked into the garage to be greeted by a slow leak in the left front tire on the '39 CS. I'm running Coker Classic 600X16 radials and I've had trouble with the radial tubes in the past. The '39 CS is the only car I'm using tubes with the radial tires because of the wide five wheels. In the last five years I've gone through four tubes (I guess that's not too bad) but, short of switching to '40 -'48 style smoothies, I'd like to know if any of you are running radials (600X16) on wide five rims without tubes... Vic
Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #271
36 flathead

I have diamond back radials on my 36 ford for 2 years. no tubes and no leaks.

Last edited by 36 flathead; 07-15-2012 at 03:56 PM.
36 flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #272
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 flathead View Post
I have diamond back radials on my 26 ford for 2 years. no tubes and no leaks.
Thanks, I'm going to pull the tire off the rim and put it back on without the tube to see if it will hold air...
Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #273
Vic Piano

I pulled the tire and rim off the car, inflated the tube and immersed the assembly in water... The bubbles started coming from the valve stem, right where the stem comes through the wheel... Is there such a thing as some sort of bushing that fits over the valve stem hole in the rim to protect the tube valve stem from chafing against the rim... If so, who makes it and where can I get them...?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #274
B-O-B

Don't know about a bushing but they make a metal valve stem that has a lock nut & an O ring. Differant lenghts & chrome. Check with a tire shop for a supplier. I have some used ones setting in the top drawer of the tool box.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #275
Mart

If the rim has a big hole in it, there is an adaptor ring to hold the tube valve stem centrally located in the hole.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #276
richard crow

vic there is no place in fla that has a pizza as good as brooklyn or howard beach
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #277
Hamtown Al

Go down to a tire store that does nothing but tires. They will have a full assortment of tubeless valve stems of varying sizes. Tip accordingly. Happy motoring. Al
Old 07-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #278
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
vic there is no place in fla that has a pizza as good as brooklyn or howard beach

Richard, I grew up on Long Island where the most plentiful eateries are Pizza joints and Chinese Take Out... There are three local "Pizza joints" that we frequent and all are run by New York transplants and yes, the pizza is as close to New York style as you can get...
Old 07-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #279
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtown Al View Post
Go down to a tire store that does nothing but tires. They will have a full assortment of tubeless valve stems of varying sizes. Tip accordingly. Happy motoring. Al
Al, I'm aware of the tubeless valve stems as I've got them on several Flatheads with radials. I was wondering if there is some sort of "bushing" that can be fitted in the rim valve stem hole to prevent chafing of the tube valve stem... As a "test", I had the tire store remove the tube and remount the tire (with a tubeless valve stem in the rim) to see if it would hold air... I put the tire & wheel back on the '39 yesterday and, so far, the air is holding... I'll take the car for a ride later today and see what happens...
Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #280
TomT/Williamsburg

You will find no need for tubes anymore I think Vic ..... any radial tire should do fine on the old style rims as long as they have no pin-holes anywhere. The "bead" on radials is more pronounced and forms a really nice seal on most all rims. If I were you, I would remove ALL the tubes ...
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote