Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #1
aussie merc

Default raising fan height

pure questions and theory at this stage? possibly later ? OK what this is about is whats involved in taking the fan off the crank and putting it higher up what we have is a 39 mercury with a 59A [original style ] currently running a crab distributor and single wide belt pump/generator drive main questions are whats involved with the crank pully and belt clearance around the dizzy area and fan to rad clearance cause ther aint a lot of room in there
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:42 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: raising fan height

RE:
"Pure questions and theory at this stage? Possibly later? OK, what this is about is what's involved in taking the fan off the crank and putting it higher up. What we have is a 39 Mercury with a 59A [original style ] currently running a crab distributor and single wide belt pump/generator drive. Main questions are: What's involved with the crank pulley and belt clearance around the dizzy area and fan to rad clearance because there isn't a lot of room in there."

Can you post a few photos?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:13 PM   #3
Brian

I think the best solution is to fit the 39 crank pulley and fan to the 59A engine. it'll all fit right up
Old 01-14-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I think the best solution is to fit the 39 crank pulley and fan to the 59A engine. it'll all fit right up
I think he wants the fan higher for better cooling at low speeds. Like later engines have.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:10 PM   #5
flatjack9

It will cool just fine if you add a shroud.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:20 AM   #6
aussie merc

ok 40 deluxe your onto it because as it sits about a 1/3 of the fan is actually below the core its so low that they put a well in the under tray to accommodate it Flatjack 9 fitting a shroud is not as effective as most think as the crank fan is a 6 blade unit known as a odd and even [Its 2 different sizes being 18" on the large size and 16" on the lower size ] so most of the gain from the shroud at the largerer dia is lost on the lower size as its to far away from the edge and allows most of the draught to actually slide over the edge of the tip So the aim of the exersize is to place 100% of the fan over the core & also fan to rad clearance must be taken into account and to get any advantage from a shroud the shroud needs to be no closer to the rad core than 1 1/2" with the leading edge of the fan actualy level with the shroud and at least 3/4 of it within the ring
Old 01-15-2022, 05:05 AM   #7
51 MERC-CT

A properly designed shroud will allow air to be pulled thru almost all of the core.
No matter where the fan is located.
Even if you center the fan to the core the four corners out of the radius of the fan will have static air flow without a shroud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan shroud.jpg (47.9 KB, 215 views)
Old 01-15-2022, 10:44 AM   #8
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
ok 40 deluxe your onto it because as it sits about a 1/3 of the fan is actually below the core its so low that they put a well in the under tray to accommodate it Flatjack 9 fitting a shroud is not as effective as most think as the crank fan is a 6 blade unit known as a odd and even [Its 2 different sizes being 18" on the large size and 16" on the lower size ] so most of the gain from the shroud at the largerer dia is lost on the lower size as its to far away from the edge and allows most of the draught to actually slide over the edge of the tip So the aim of the exersize is to place 100% of the fan over the core & also fan to rad clearance must be taken into account and to get any advantage from a shroud the shroud needs to be no closer to the rad core than 1 1/2" with the leading edge of the fan actualy level with the shroud and at least 3/4 of it within the ring
I only speak from experience with my 39. I'm sure Charlie NY will back this up.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:01 AM   #9
Charlie ny
BANNED

In my case...'41 p'up....big inch motor stock cooling system....Jack talked me out of an
electric fan and suggested a shroud. I'm glad he did, I used a Walker shroud and voila
temp went from 200+ to a steady 170/175. Someone else is selling these things now.
I did the rag test...prior to the shroud a rag would not 'stick' to the rad with the motor spinning the fan...after the shroud the rag held on for dear life.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:13 AM   #10
aussie merc

ok charlie ny but whats the fan style and number of blades ????
Old 01-16-2022, 07:19 AM   #11
Charlie ny
BANNED

5 blade genuine '39-'40 FORD issue. The Ford rad in my '41 has a high tank with the cap in the middle on top.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:52 AM   #12
oldskool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
5 blade genuine '39-'40 FORD issue. The Ford rad in my '41 has a high tank with the cap in the middle on top.
Charlie ny
my 40 has 6 blades ,i just installed a walker shroud and i noticed a big difference idled for a 1/2 hour and temp stayed at 170
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #13
51 MERC-CT

Fabricated a fan shroud to fit my '51 Merc. using the original 4 blade fan and it worked as expected, pulling air thru 100% of the core and maintaining acceptable temp. at idle.
To me it seems that the number of blades is less important when using a shroud.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:22 PM   #14
aussie merc

no dought all the above fans work with a shroud as they are all single diameter as stated the original fan on the merc is a duel diameter 17" and 16" 3 off each this was to break the harmonic drone associated with even number of same sized blades and you lose any advantage from the shroud due to the excessive tip clearance caused by the smaller dia blades so back to the original question WHATS INVOLED IN RAISING THE FAN AND WETHER IT CAN BE DONE
Old 01-16-2022, 04:53 PM   #15
38bill

Not sure if this is what your looking for but this is the setup I used in my'38 1/2T with a 59a. My motor came with the double pulley crank pulley so after I located the fan assembly it was a bolt on deal. There is some up and down adjustability.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan mount.jpg (84.0 KB, 49 views)
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:49 PM   #16
aussie merc

that's basically where i want to wind up could you take some measurements for me 1 crank centre to fan centre height and 2 the distance from the front of the fan to the front of the intake where the generator mount sits as the mercury dosnt have a lot of room forward
Old 01-16-2022, 06:11 PM   #17
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
no dought all the above fans work with a shroud as they are all single diameter as stated the original fan on the merc is a duel diameter 17" and 16" 3 off each this was to break the harmonic drone associated with even number of same sized blades and you lose any advantage from the shroud due to the excessive tip clearance caused by the smaller dia blades so back to the original question WHATS INVOLED IN RAISING THE FAN AND WETHER IT CAN BE DONE
For your info.

The stock fan on my '51 Merc. is not a "duel" or dual diameter.
Nor is it 17" or 16".
It is 18 ¼" diameter.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:42 PM   #18
38bill

Quote:
that's basically where i want to wind up could you take some measurements for me 1 crank centre to fan centre height and 2 the distance from the front of the fan to the front of the intake where the generator mount sits as the mercury dosnt have a lot of room forward
Kind of hard to measure but the pully center to center is about 11"minimum and the fan bracket is mounted at the lowest point of the slotted bracket. That leaves about another 1 1/2" that the bracket could be raised up so you could figure 12 1/2" max.

The front of the fan blade is 6 3/4" to the front of the intake flange's flat mounting surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front fan.jpg (70.9 KB, 25 views)
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:47 PM   #19
aussie merc

Thanks 38bill now i can do some measuring and see if its even worthwhile to start down this path The other question i have read on here that some of our fellow barners have fitted taller radiators from bus or trucks but despite searching cant find the posts nor any mention of which truck/ bus rad was used or whether there was a tropical/desert core /rad offered
Old 01-16-2022, 10:15 PM   #20
flatjack9

The 39 Merc uses the same fan as a 39 DeLuxe Ford - 16 3/4" 6 blade.