Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2022, 01:26 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Is this a KR Wilson tool?

In reading some history of KR Wilson (a very hardworking individual) I see they sold some generating equipment, mostly on a nice cast base, sometimes powered by a FH V8. Could this Wilson welder have been made by the KR Wilson Co? It has a NY addrtess on the plate..I love the radiator and the gas tank.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wilson welder.jpg (84.8 KB, 597 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:31 AM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Is this a KR Wilson tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
In reading some history of KR Wilson (a very hardworking individual) I see they sold some generating equipment, mostly on a nice cast base, sometimes powered by a FH V8. Could this Wilson welder have been made by the KR Wilson Co? It has a NY addrtess on the plate..I love the radiator and the gas tank.......

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:55 PM   #3
38 coupe

That doesn't look like the few KR Wilson engine power units I have seen. It does look interesting.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:03 PM   #4
GB SISSON

But it looks to be on a chevy axle! :0
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-14-2022, 09:54 PM   #5
koates

Looks home made or home assembled from bits and pieces to me. Anything made by K.R.Wilson would be much better engineered. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:07 AM   #6
GB SISSON

I did see a photo of an AC power unit by KR Wilson that had a Model A engine powering a beautiful generator all on a long cast iron base. It was a thing of beauty. This unit has none of the finese, but wondered if the welder itself may have been made by an offshoot etc, as it was in New York. I was told this welder 'ran when parked' but was taken out of service for distributor problems.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:57 AM   #7
flatford8

This is the unit I have. It runs well. I’m in the process of cleaning rust and scale out of the block. I’ll have to look for a brand name. It powered a water pump at the paper mill in Westbrook, ME. ........Mark
PS....there’s a group on Facebook dedicated to KR Wilson Tools and other Vintage Automotive Tools. I just joined, it’s interesting......Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7469E21C-DFAE-44E3-9FE9-23270DD69C7A.jpg (69.2 KB, 77 views)
Billy Joe Shaver

Last edited by flatford8; 01-15-2022 at 05:09 AM.
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:32 AM   #8
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
This is the unit I have. It runs well. I’m in the process of cleaning rust and scale out of the block. I’ll have to look for a brand name. It powered a water pump at the paper mill in Westbrook, ME. ........Mark
PS....there’s a group on Facebook dedicated to KR Wilson Tools and other Vintage Automotive Tools. I just joined, it’s interesting......Mark
Nice looking power unit Mark. I did have a trailer mounted FHV8 powered welder. It was given to me as a spare engine when I bought a '32 1.5 ton. A few people said it looked the ones in WW2 Navy yards. It always ran hot and boiled over when welding. It had a 6 bladed fan and a big radiator. I eventually got frustrated and scrapped the welder, keeping it's unusual axle and the engine. During an early attempt at 'getting out of the flathead thing' I gave the engine to a friend who had his father in law's '40 coupe and no engine. I stopped by one day and he had the heads off and it was factory relieved and looking real closely at the cleaned deck I saw no sign of a crack anywhere. I no longer give away flatheads and I gave up on trying to quit 'em.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:01 PM   #9
GB SISSON

I have no affiliation with this CL add. I have watched this for a month and would sort of like it, but would love it if somebody else bought it so I can stop thinking about it. I am just now getting to the point I have another under cover parking spot and don't want to fill it up with this. So here it is in Lynden Wa.

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/tl...418483811.html
Old 01-15-2022, 06:08 PM   #10
leon bee

Flatford8: I think I need one of those.
What is it?
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:28 AM   #11
GB SISSON

I look every couple of days and it's been like 6 weeks the FHV8 welder is always still there..... But today it's gone! Thanks to whoever bought it. I hope it was a barner and if they just wanted the engine I hope it has a factory relief. To see a factory relief is a beautiful piece of work.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:49 AM   #12
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon bee View Post
Flatford8: I think I need one of those.
What is it?
It’s a “59” engine. I was told the paper company had more than one of them in a cellar where the turbines were. They kept the water pumped out when the river flooded. It has 50# of oil pressure and seems to run well. I made some PVC connections from the inlet to the outlet to run it without the rad, with screens by the water pumps to catch the scale. I want to do a Rust911 or acid treatment to clean out more of it. I may try to hook a generator to it. There a video on YouTube when I ran it once, I’ll send the link if I can find it. Cold weather shut me down, I’ll resume when it ain’t freezing in the barn any more…….Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote