Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2021, 07:47 PM   #21
dennis lumbert

Default Re: tyre preservation. suggestions please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1931Pickup View Post
I have a set of Goodyear tires on my wife's '30 Coupe for rollers. They were purchased in 1964 but never driven on. Mounted and stored indoors since new. I won't use them for drivers but after using "Aero Cosmetics Rubber Care" on them they look like new. This stuff is great, I use it on all of my vehicles. If it is good enough for Boeing I figure it must be good.
I use it too and its great stuff
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:16 PM   #22
Colonial coupe

When we were still drag racing even during the weeks when we were racing every weekend we were always sure to park the car with the slicks on a piece of plywood, word from someone smarter than I was that cement sucks rubber. Ever notice how there sometimes will be 4 black spots on the concrete where the car usually sits. On my RV I'm trying a product called BLAK once a year, not petroleum based, it seems to be working very well. Found it on Ebay saw the add for it somewhere else. The tires seem to stay a nice dull/semi gloss and they repel dirt nicely.
Colonial coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:14 PM   #23
KGBnut

All electric motors produce ozone, especially on start up. In most garages I see a compressor (and often an old refrigerator). Both spew ozone and will cause tires to deteriorate prematurely. And yes, get the weight off the tires if the car is going to sit unused for any length of time. You can also roll the car forward and back a few feet every week or so to keep from having one flat spot....assuming you have the space (and can remember to do so).

Ken
Old 01-13-2022, 07:03 AM   #24
Lee29coupe

I’m retired Air Force, 24 years on aircraft flight line. Our Technical Orders required us to move aircraft every 72 hours,(three days) to rotate tires on a Hanger Queen, (aircraft not flying for 30 days) This is to prevent permanent distortion of tire carcass, prevent wheel bearings from pressing into bearing races and redistribute grease/lube in airframe. We go to great lengths to prevent petroleum from contacting tires. Just interesting info. Other rubber is treated with pure silicone grease like wheel seals and “o” rings. I use silicone grease only on tire side walls to protect rubber, also on other rubber like window seals.
Lee29coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:59 AM   #25
77Birdman

To the OP, if you are trying to revive those cracked tires you will be better off getting new. I would never run an old tire especially one that has dry rotted. Perhaps you are trying to prevent this from happening to the new set you get in the future.
Seems like a lot of home remedies and wives tales. I would contact someone like Coker to see what they may recommend. I have parked all of my vehicles on the concrete garage floor for the last 40 years I have been driving and never had that wear or dry rot a tire (I have also heard that sitting a battery on concrete will drain it!). I have seen trailers/rv's that have been parked for extended periods in the sun end up with dry rotted tires though. Not regularly but over the years I have used all kinds of tire dressing, armor all, mothers, etc. Never seemed to have any problems. I just clean them with comet now and let them stay natural. I know there is talk about flat spotting when sitting too long but I too think that there is more hype than reality when a car is concerned, UNLESS if the car is parked for years at a time. Big difference in the weight of an aircraft sitting on a tire compared to a car.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:48 AM   #26
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
I have tyres that have perished and cracked well before they have worn out. Does any reader have suggestions as to how tire life may be extended? Help please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLANdKPy5zU

Paint them white and put them at your driveway entrance. Good after a night out at the pub.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #27
oldredford

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Hi Shew. What the gentleman with the man-eating dog was saying was we do not have furnaces or basements in Oz. We, here, are all envious of youse having snow for Christmas. We are looking for a cool break

I live in South Carolina. We get snow on occasion. I say it gets old after awhile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow.jpg (54.9 KB, 4 views)
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote