Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2021, 08:44 AM   #1
Conaway2

Default New Focused-Beam LED Headlights

Has anyone tried these new LED headlights ? LogoLites website says these provide true high and low beam, do not use existing reflectors and work behind the original headlight lens.

Thanks - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
Badpuppy

Default Re: New Focused-Beam LED Headlights

https://www.logolites.com/products/l...ed-headlights/

No change to reflectors.

$50 a pop.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #3
Keith True

I think a change in the wording is needed.When they say,reflector not used,it means the reflector is not part of the lighting process,It becomes a bulb holder.Somebody asked me how the new bulbs could be installed if they took the reflector out.I was kind of puzzled as to what they were talking about,until I read the paperwork.They were taking the statement,reflectors not used,literally.They just no longer come into play for lighting.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
https://www.logolites.com/products/l...ed-headlights/

No change to reflectors.

$50 a pop.
The ad says BRIGHT WHITE. I would perfer they had a warm white more like the original bulbs.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:28 PM   #5
Conaway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I think a change in the wording is needed.When they say,reflector not used,it means the reflector is not part of the lighting process,It becomes a bulb holder.Somebody asked me how the new bulbs could be installed if they took the reflector out.I was kind of puzzled as to what they were talking about,until I read the paperwork.They were taking the statement,reflectors not used,literally.They just no longer come into play for lighting.
My wording was poor and confusing - thanks for catching it.
As I read the ad, the reflectors are still in the headlight bucket; the new LED headlights do not need them to project light.

Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
Keith True

It's not your wording,it's the vendors wording.The guy I talked to never saw anything on the forums.The vendor states the reflectors are not used.I read that as the reflectors are not used as part of the lighting operation.He read it as the reflectors are not utilized,period.Same words can be seen different ways by two different people,depending on the context and what the reader has in his mind.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #7
nkaminar

I used LED's on my Model T, not these ones, and were happy with them. Low beam was dim beam as per the original lights on a Model T.

My car has been converted over to halogen with a different socket. They are bright but don't last nearly as long as the LED's. I would change over but it would require changing back to the original sockets, etc.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
burner31

These look very promising, (I'm using LED's now, but not real happy with them), but at $49.95 each...I think I'll wait and see if they come down to $49.95 a pair before I try them out...I'd hate to blow one out at the current price. But I do like where things are heading with these LED's, and I do agree that a softer light might be more artistic.
Hope some Barner's try them out and let us know how they like them.
JMHO
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #9
Alaska Mike

I just put a pair in my Model A. They are pretty bright. Very "white". But definitely change direction when switching from high to low beam. I haven't had the opportunity to do much night driving yet, but they look good in the driveway shining on the garage door.
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:25 PM   #10
GeneBob

I have been running the previous generation of LogoLites LED bulbs and found that they focus okay but the focus does not seem precise. I am looking forward to trying the new bulbs out sometime. I think their new approach is genius.
I emailed back and forth with them a few months ago and found them to be very helpful and a first class bunch.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
Badpuppy

A big plus is you could use your old crusty dusty dented reflectors with no worries.

$100 a pair is a bit steep; I also would prefer a calmer color. I've never had a problem with lighting up the darkness in yellow light. Bright white can glare back into your eyes.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #12
1930artdeco

$100 a pair is nothing. I am looking at $400 for a set for my 57 wagon. But they will have correct looking glass lenses and not the weird looking lenses. Hoping they come down a bit over the course of a year.

Mike
Old 12-19-2021, 10:47 PM   #13
Anteek29

I remember when Halogens were the latest big item
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:11 AM   #14
Dick Carne

My concern with any LED headlight would be whether they might appear to "blind" oncoming traffic. I have been using halogens to this point, which seem to adequately light the road ahead without overwhelming oncoming traffic. I wonder if the "focus" when on low-beam referred to for these new bulbs would be sufficient to prevent "night blindness" for traffic coming from the other direction. Any thoughts?
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:47 AM   #15
Bob Johnson

I looked at the information on the Logolites web site.

First you must leave the reflectors in the headlights because this LED bulb plugs into the socket in the reflector. However this LED bulb does not send light to the reflector. It sends the light directly to the headlight lens. With the original incandescent bulb the light from the bulb is sent out in all directions and when it bounces off the reflector it reflects in a horizontal line out to the lens. With this LED bulb the light is sent out directly to the lens. This LED bulb has a special lens which they claim "focuses" the light properly to produce the same results as the reflected light of the original set up.

As far as blinding the oncoming cars. That is a function of the tilt of your headlights. If they are set correctly the light will not "blind" the oncoming cars.

They are more costly than other LED lights. But if they work as shown they might be useful to someone who drives at night.

I do like that they are 6-12 volts and positive or negative ground.

Just my thoughts.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:45 AM   #16
MrBruce

My 31 S/W Town Sedan has original "Silvered" reflectors and in over 40 years they haven't changed. Every car that comes towards me at night (I do a lot of night driving) flashes there lights at me! My 30 pickup had LED head lights and they were not good, but I ordered a set of these new ones just to evaluate them on my 31 Pickup and see what they look like. I finally got the 31 pickup lights to at least work, but haven't had time to level and focus them. If they work as good as the S/W I won't use the LED lights. I like the tail lights and they are definitely bright and have them on both the 31's and have dual lights on both of them. Working on turn signals now as it's getting really hard with hand signals (never had so many people wave at me) guess they don't teach that in drivers ed any longer?
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #17
GeneBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBruce View Post
My 31 S/W Town Sedan has original "Silvered" reflectors and in over 40 years they haven't changed. Every car that comes towards me at night (I do a lot of night driving) flashes there lights at me!
Sounds like your headlights are mis-aligned and/or out of focus. Poorly aimed headlights will be aimed at oncoming traffic. Poorly focused headlights make a bright glow that goes everywhere including oncoming traffic.
It took some tinkering but I got my LED bulbs to focus pretty well into a definite LOW beam and more general HIGH beam. The new cars have spoiled me though with the new headlights throwing light further down the road (but still low on the road).
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #18
MrBruce

No there not poorly aimed! They are better than our 2015 Honda, and aimed like the service bulletins.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #19
redmodelt

Has anyone given thought to, the aim can change with passengers in the car if the springs are not up to snuff.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:23 AM   #20
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Carne View Post
My concern with any LED headlight would be whether they might appear to "blind" oncoming traffic. I have been using halogens to this point, which seem to adequately light the road ahead without overwhelming oncoming traffic. I wonder if the "focus" when on low-beam referred to for these new bulbs would be sufficient to prevent "night blindness" for traffic coming from the other direction. Any thoughts?
The cut off doesn't look bad? It would be good if people could post similar photos from about 20 feet away.
https://www.logolites.com/wp-content...1000x281-1.jpg
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote