Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2022, 10:05 PM   #101
petehoovie

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Here's a couple of pics showing the way I fix up an old truck. It certainly isn't a restoration, nor is it a rat rod, it isn't a resto mod or a 'rusteration'. It's just a low budget way to get a hulk back on the road in a safe manner and enjoy it and perhaps enjoy long term 'as is', or sell to someone who wants a driver or a truck for a restoration project. Either way, if I kept it here as it was, in a dark shed, no engine or trans, it would have been crushed upon my demise. Truth be told I kinda like a truck that looks beat up (or unrestored)on the outside and starts reliably and runs like a clock. It is the opposite of an old truck with 12 coats of hand rubbed lacquer over a bunch of bondo, a 4" drop and poorly done chrome that won't start. We've all seen our share those

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:08 PM   #102
cas3

I always say, "there's nothin wrong with an old car, that looks like an old car". Or, in this case, an old truck. For me, while I certainly admire the skills and devotion folks put in to a top notch restoration, I get the thrill out of driving them. As good as condition as you can find...but they don't have to look new for me to enjoy owning and driving. Carry on GB, your doin just fine. That woody sure looks good in the background, your crowning achievement right there!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:33 AM   #103
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
I always say, "there's nothin wrong with an old car, that looks like an old car". Or, in this case, an old truck. For me, while I certainly admire the skills and devotion folks put in to a top notch restoration, I get the thrill out of driving them. As good as condition as you can find...but they don't have to look new for me to enjoy owning and driving. Carry on GB, your doin just fine. That woody sure looks good in the background, your crowning achievement right there!
The woodie? It was the thrill of a lifetime as far as automotive sh!t
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:49 AM   #104
51504bat

Quote:
Here's a couple of pics showing the way I fix up an old truck. It certainly isn't a restoration, nor is it a rat rod, it isn't a resto mod or a 'rusteration'. It's just a low budget way to get a hulk back on the road in a safe manner and enjoy it and perhaps enjoy long term 'as is', or sell to someone who wants a driver or a truck for a restoration project. Either way, if I kept it here as it was, in a dark shed, no engine or trans, it would have been crushed upon my demise. Truth be told I kinda like a truck that looks beat up (or unrestored)on the outside and starts reliably and runs like a clock. It is the opposite of an old truck with 12 coats of hand rubbed lacquer over a bunch of bondo, a 4" drop and poorly done chrome that won't start. We've all seen our share those

My thoughts exactly. Keep on doing what you're doing.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:35 AM   #105
sugarmaker

Gary,
You have my whole hearted support! Fits the way I think most of the time at this stage in my life too. You are really going at this truck project! Thanks for the pictures and updates! Makes me want to go do a little bit of something useful too.
Oh I like the full frame off resto work guys do to there machines also. My old brain just seems to have a hard time going to that place!
If you and Mart and I got together it would be dangerous for old Fords! Good thing we on opposite sides of the earth!
Really enjoying your jailbar build! By the way I do not recall seeing a jailbar around here in my life. Humm?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:17 AM   #106
GB SISSON

Here it is 9:00 sunday night. My good wife was watching 'call the midwife' on PBS. I excused myself to go down to the shop and install my backing plates and then the wheel cylinders. Well, the backing plates went ok for the most part, except the square head bolts had a mind of their own and I couldn't live with them until they were aligned with the universe. Then came the amazon wheel cylinders. The left side went well, but I had lost the 5/16 coarse short bolts for the right. I dumped out thje coffee can of 5/16 and they were all too long. I found One that was short. The others were too long and I used them like studs. Threaded a 5/16 nut up the stem, placed a lockwasher on it and into the wheel cyl. But wait, no matter what, this side was drilled a bit off from the backing plate. While I was was ovaling out the holes on the backing plate with a chain saw file the missus shows up and says it's been two hours...... Really.... 4 bolts on each backing plate and 3 bolts (instead of Henry's 4) for the brake cylinders. Everything was cleaned and painted and ready to thread together. I guess if it all went like clockwork, it wouldn't be a hobby. Sort of like if they gave you a detailed view of what each piece in a jigsaw puzzle looked like with the box. Of course we all know it's way better than guys that stay at the bar two hours too long. She's a really good egg. She just sort of shakes her head in wonderment.Perhaps it isn't wonderment......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-17-2022, 03:14 AM   #107
flatford8

My wife says “ you’d think that old rusty sh!t had t!ts.....well I do!, come to bed”.....kinda hard to argue with her......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:34 PM   #108
cas3

Seems to me wheel cylinders only use 3 bolts, no ?
Old 01-17-2022, 10:43 PM   #109
GB SISSON

Quote:
Seems to me wheel cylinders only use 3 bolts, no ?

The ones I took off had 4 bolts. The ones I bought had the cast boss for four but only three were drilled and tapped. Front brakes on tonner are same as 1/2 ton, maybe cars too? The backing plates have four bolt holes for the brake cyls. Maybe 4 because of being a tonner? Face it, the 2" or so center hole takes care of all the shear forces involved in clamping on the binders with a load of green lumber in the bed. And about getting the backing plate to spindle bolts lined up with the universe, They are inside the square tin cup and seems the need to keep them in a radial pattern so the corners are not crossing the spindle forging for best clamping. Overthinking? Certainly not the first time.......
Old 01-18-2022, 01:45 AM   #110
cas3

I have zero experience with jail bar trucks, you da man for that. Pretty sure though cars from 39 up use 3 bolts. I would have to go out to the frozen junk in the barn to verify, but going from memory they use 3 so you cant put the wrong one on the wrong side. Cant say off hand, is it only 3 holes are drilled and tapped, I forget...irrelevant if your truck had 4. I'll shut up now...carry on GB
Old 01-18-2022, 01:48 AM   #111
tubman

Gotta be a truck thing; every car I had used 3 bolts.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:50 AM   #112
GB SISSON

Now you guys got me wondering... I think I still have the cylinders I removed in my scrap pile. I know for a fact there are four holes in the backing plate, but that could be so they work for either side. I am almost finished with the front brakes and steering stuff. I plugged the port for the rear brake line for now. Next I will install the H six and T-9, at which point I can drive it outside, remove the bed and back it into the shop for work on the hind quarters. The pics are of the diesel tonner a couple years back. So nice working on that stuff with the sheet metal off. Yes, I should pull the cab, but probably won't happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg malbec 2 004.jpg (69.0 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg spring and brake job 008.jpg (73.8 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-18-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:06 PM   #113
sugarmaker

Gary,
Your doing great! Take the wife to one of those fancy places with shrimp and steak.
I am sure you will noodle out the three vs 4 bolt issue.
Your providing incentive form me to do a little in the shop on the 32 also!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:34 PM   #114
petehoovie

Quote:
Now you guys got me wondering... I think I still have the cylinders I removed in my scrap pile. I know for a fact there are four holes in the backing plate, but that could be so they work for either side. I am almost finished with the front brakes and steering stuff. I plugged the port for the rear brake line for now. Next I will install the H six and T-9, at which point I can drive it outside, remove the bed and back it into the shop for work on the hind quarters. The pics are of the diesel tonner a couple years back. So nice working on that stuff with the sheet metal off. Yes, I should pull the cab, but probably won't happen.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 01-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #115
GB SISSON

Pete, you really have it down with expanding those photos! I hope this green truck doesn't need as much rear spring work as the red one.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:25 AM   #116
GB SISSON

Wednesday is the night my wife does the 24 hour shift with eldercare so I tend to stay out late.... in the shop that is... I made a video tonight but can't get it onto my channel. Here some pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rainey night in olga 1.jpg (121.9 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg rainey 2.jpg (149.0 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg rainey 3.jpg (160.0 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg rainey 4.jpg (156.3 KB, 214 views)
Old 01-20-2022, 04:01 PM   #117
petehoovie

Quote:
Wednesday is the night my wife does the 24 hour shift with eldercare so I tend to stay out late.... in the shop that is... I made a video tonight but can't get it onto my channel. Here some pics....

Old 01-20-2022, 05:48 PM   #118
cas3

Thats a pretty macho pipe wrench you have there GB, I am jealous !
Old 01-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #119
GB SISSON

Quote:
Thats a pretty macho pipe wrench you have there GB, I am jealous !
That pipe wrench was under our Christmas tree last year! My stepson is a gearhead and knows a good gift when he sees one. It almost seems ridiculous, but last summer I had to replace my rear axle yoke and seal in my 92 f350 and it needed some ungodly torque to crush the crush washer. How to hold that square-ish yoke while tightening up the nut? The handle end of this 3' wrench rested on the concrete slab while I torqued the nut. Pretty much all the 'soon to be 69' year old gearhead could do to hang it back up on the wall afterwards.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:30 PM   #120
GB SISSON

AND.... Today being a weekend, Saturday I got the 4 speed bolted up to the six and today I cranked up the engine/trans with my 5 ton Beebe Brothers hand crank winch and rolled the chassis underneath and lowered the assembly onto its mounts. FUNNY, I always thought those forward holes were for the SIX, but my H dropped right into the same engine mount holes as the V8. Maybe the G needed those forward mount holes. I do know for a fact that I will need to move the rad support forward to the six cyl mount rad holes and I do have a shroud/ hood latch assembly made for the six. I think it will all go quite seemlessly. I have never had a flathead six, but from what I read they have the low end torque and the V8 beats them at 75 mph plus. This 40 mph island is all about steep hills, and I LOVE the T-8 / T9 crash box transmission. Some of you know I did a very similar tonner PU 2 years ago with a cummins diesel and a GM sm465 granny low 4 speed. While synchro in 3 gears, the GM tranny is a bear to shift. The Ford's crashbox, once you get used to it, glides into every gear like silk. Can't wait to drive a low end torque six, mated to my favorite transmission.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Six with trans.jpg (160.4 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg Six in place.jpg (148.0 KB, 250 views)