Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2022, 11:53 PM   #81
petehoovie

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
A holesaw was a real luxury item back then. Even today a nice setup is big money if you don't use it for work. The 1/8" holes joined would certainly show that the job was done 'in a workmanlike manner'. I'd think that following up the procedure with a Large tapered punch or perhaps a broken truck axle could fold the tabs over and provide a nicer rest for the heater hoses. There I go 'Churchin it up' again.

Greenlee Hole Punch is the way to go.

Greenlee 7235BB Knockout Kit Hole Punch Set, 10 Piece, 10, 12 ga. Steel, 1/2" - 1-1/4" conduit size knockouts (hole size: 0.89" - 1.70" or 22.5 mm - 43.2 mm)

https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-7235...A%3D%3D&sr=8-7

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:40 AM   #82
Zax40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Nice firewall. Many of the wrecks I bring home have the heater holes made with a hammer and chisel. The really skilled would drill 1/8" holes in a circle, then grab the hammer and chisel.
My '40 has an antennae hole in the cowl made with that method.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:18 AM   #83
AnthonyG

Jail Bar’s have really come to be popular in the past couple years. Looked @ a real clean driver in 2012 & could have had it for under $5K. No more, nice ones bring a big $ now! I always liked them even when they were considered the red headed step child of Early Ford PU’s. Quirky Cool! I believe inadvertently I got a Pretty but a Frankenstein put-together & reconstruct title called it a ‘40 Ford PU. Turned out it started life as a ‘42-‘46, the frame, rear fenders & bed & probably the cab we’re a Jail Bar & front end was a ‘40 w a ‘41 hood. Looks good, runs good so I’m happy, LOL!
Old 01-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #84
GB SISSON

I think that the wheelbase went from 112" to 114" in '42. I have some 40 pu front fenders and a '41 hood. I was thinking of doing a graft like you describe on a project last year but the wheel openings were off. I did not get very far down that avenue, but thought with some fender modification it could be done.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:40 PM   #85
GB SISSON

Here's a short video of the H six running on the stand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVYRmM8xcuo
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-13-2022, 12:54 PM   #86
sugarmaker

Jailbars: I think Gary has a corner on these!
Making holes: I resisted buying one because they are a little pricy but the step drills from Milwaukee tools really may some nice clean holes in sheet metal!
It made short work of this air vent project. Worth the $65.

I am sure that would work on a lot of automotive applications also.

The 6 cylinder engine is sweet!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-13-2022 at 01:14 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:56 PM   #87
cas3

Nice video GB, she purr's like a kitten !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #88
AnthonyG

Quote:
I think that the wheelbase went from 112" to 114" in '42. I have some 40 pu front fenders and a '41 hood. I was thinking of doing a graft like you describe on a project last year but the wheel openings were off. I did not get very far down that avenue, but thought with some fender modification it could be done.
Mine is definitely a ‘42-46 frame, bed & rear fenders, not sure how they got the front end on but here’s a pic. Went together pretty nice. Looks like they got the wheels lined up w wells pretty good. I’ve got different rims & tires now & stance is better. Haven’t taken any pics since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0C38ECF9-ED31-467B-9FF1-3C59F7906D36.jpg (125.6 KB, 243 views)
Old 01-13-2022, 04:05 PM   #89
GB SISSON

I have to afree with you Anthony, fitment looks great! I would love to have a measurement of a 40-41 pickup from the firewall flat face to the CL of front axle. Anybody? I have learned that firewall to front axle is a very important dimension when messing about with sheet metal. I would not alter this current truck, but thinking about the blue thing I built on the landcruiser frame. That could evolve.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:01 PM   #90
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Mine is definitely a ‘42-46 frame, bed & rear fenders, not sure how they got the front end on but here’s a pic. Went together pretty nice. Looks like they got the wheels lined up w wells pretty good. I’ve got different rims & tires now & stance is better. Haven’t taken any pics since.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 01-14-2022, 05:59 PM   #91
38 coupe

The space between the cab and running board changed 41 to 42. The blue truck looks like the cab is the correct height from the running boards for 41, kinda curious how it was done.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:25 PM   #92
GB SISSON

I once put a '47 tonner bed on a '38 tonner. The '38 running board is like almost 2 1/2" thick...( in profile) while the '47 running board is more like 1 1/2" deep in profile . It took some massaging to make it look right.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:31 AM   #93
Mart

My 41 pickup doors scrape the running boards so they must be quite close normally.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:48 AM   #94
38 coupe

Hmm, further review of 41 and older pickups shows the blue truck isn't as close as I first thought. Clever work however it was done.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:15 PM   #95
GB SISSON

As I mentioned there is still a part of me that would like to put my '40-'41 front sheet metal on my 'blue bomber' that I built on a toyota landcruiser 4 door wagon chassis. The front '40 fenders are quite rough so I wouldn't be against cutting the fender openings bigger at the front. The current jailbar fenders are one ton and larger style with the larger openings. This is needed anyways with the 33" tires. Just thinking out loud for now. Like I didn't have my hands full already.
Back to this thread topic, I installed the spindles, tie rods and drag link yesterday after work. I have painted the backing plates and have brake tubing, hoses,cylinders etc on hand. Ohh wait my daughter and her family are visiting from Seattle this weekend, so I better run down before the ferry unloads and do some brake work!
Old 01-15-2022, 12:37 PM   #96
GB SISSON

If I could morph this thing into the '40 style front sheet metal it would look an awful lot like the one on the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40s in the desert.jpg (43.3 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg MJ new tin.jpg (135.1 KB, 204 views)
Old 01-15-2022, 12:52 PM   #97
petehoovie

Quote:
If I could morph this thing into the '40 style front sheet metal it would look an awful lot like the one on the left.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:10 PM   #98
Mart

I wouldn't morph anything, I'd leave it alone.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:03 PM   #99
GB SISSON

Good Idea, think I will.....
Old 01-15-2022, 09:21 PM   #100
GB SISSON

Here's a couple of pics showing the way I fix up an old truck. It certainly isn't a restoration, nor is it a rat rod, it isn't a resto mod or a 'rusteration'. It's just a low budget way to get a hulk back on the road in a safe manner and enjoy it and perhaps enjoy long term 'as is', or sell to someone who wants a driver or a truck for a restoration project. Either way, if I kept it here as it was, in a dark shed, no engine or trans, it would have been crushed upon my demise. Truth be told I kinda like a truck that looks beat up (or unrestored)on the outside and starts reliably and runs like a clock. It is the opposite of an old truck with 12 coats of hand rubbed lacquer over a bunch of bondo, a 4" drop and poorly done chrome that won't start. We've all seen our share those
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twoscar 1.jpg (112.2 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg twoscar 2.jpg (145.0 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg twoscar 3.jpg (47.3 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg twoscar 4.jpg (165.8 KB, 280 views)