Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2021, 10:47 PM   #41
petehoovie

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
And my red diesel powered tonner. I did this tailgate 3 or 4 years ago and it sits in an open shed , tailgate facing the prevailing SW rain soaked Western Washington Winter.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:33 AM   #42
cas3

nice job on the gates, thanks pete for the photos. no caps because the big tomcat on my lap wont move
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #43
GB SISSON

Little bit of Hunter Green Satin rattlecan, misted with a spray bottle of laquer thinner, some scotchbrite pad and it all looks just as shabby as the rest of the vehicle. But now you can fold down the tailgate and it stays attached to the truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greengate A.jpg (149.2 KB, 342 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:21 PM   #44
petehoovie

Quote:
Little bit of Hunter Green Satin rattlecan, misted with a spray bottle of laquer thinner, some scotchbrite pad and it all looks just as shabby as the rest of the vehicle. But now you can fold down the tailgate and it stays attached to the truck.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 12-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #45
cas3

WoW a perfect match! Ace carpenter, mechanic, and artist too !
Old 12-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #46
Zeke3

A thing of beauty GB. By the way, that bomb hoist looks like a real head knocker on the red truck. Merry Christmas to all.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:58 PM   #47
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
A thing of beauty GB. By the way, that bomb hoist looks like a real head knocker on the red truck. Merry Christmas to all.
I'm 5'6" and can pass right under it on level ground.... The yellow golf ball warns others that a collisiion in in store.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #48
sidevalve8ba

This is a little late in coming but it took me a while to find these photos. Someone wanted to know what that panel truck was that was parked behind the one in the foreground. Here is photographic proof. Better late that never?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0210171218a (1).jpg (91.5 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg 0210171218 (1).jpg (104.1 KB, 299 views)

Last edited by sidevalve8ba; 01-02-2022 at 08:41 AM.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:50 PM   #49
cas3

US ARMY I'm thinkin
Old 01-01-2022, 03:10 PM   #50
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
This is a little late in coming but it took me a while to find these photos. Someone wanted to know what that panel truck was that was parked behind the one in the foreground. Here is photographic proof. Better late thatn never?
Thanks! I was thinking it was a Ford based on shape of window. So that would have been a 1-1/2 tanner? Year?
Old 01-01-2022, 03:21 PM   #51
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
This is a little late in coming but it took me a while to find these photos. Someone wanted to know what that panel truck was that was parked behind the one in the foreground. Here is photographic proof. Better late thatn never?

Old 01-02-2022, 10:29 AM   #52
deuce5wndw

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevs View Post
thanks! I was thinking it was a ford based on shape of window. So that would have been a 1-1/2 tanner? Year?
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:18 PM   #53
GB SISSON

Now THAT one is worth restoring! Or at my shop it would be worth 'fixin up'! The tonner has a really nice rear fender. It's the right rear that is almost always beat. Front fenders are a dime a dozen for tonners and big trucks as the wheel opening is larger than the pickup. Many people find this out too late after the swap meet has folded up.

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-02-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:13 PM   #54
corvette8n

GB, found a project on the h.a.m.b for you.

I wish I wasn’t 3,000 mile away, I always wanted a dump truck.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...truck.1251607/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11BA959B-2ACE-4DFB-A448-91EF2E1877F6.jpg (74.3 KB, 260 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:21 PM   #55
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post

Old 01-02-2022, 07:05 PM   #56
51504bat

Looks like a Watson or similar auxiliary trans. Wonder if its an over, direct, and under unit? Had one in a '40 1 1/2 ton flatbed I had. Better than a 2 speed rear end most of which were low and lower gearing.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:21 PM   #57
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post

Thanks, but somehow I never wished for a dump truck. I handle a lot of finish lumber, wood beams and plywood. All of these forklift off the side of a flatbed very nicely. Don't really handle stuff that dumps. I do like that truck though, but I can't just keep stacking them up. Thanks though!
Old 01-03-2022, 09:47 PM   #58
GB SISSON

This morning before work I removed the driver side kingpin with my newly fabricated kingpin 'pusher'. Inspired by a snap on product I saw in a thread here. With the 18v impact driver on the pusher bolt the kingpin rose steadily and easily. I had to add a piece of shafting to push it all the way out until I get a longer push bolt. The wooden honing spoon can't be far behind at this point. I have the backing plate and and spindle setting on my woodstove in the cabinet shop and after dinner will go down with my solvent and brush and get them cleaned up. Tomorrow the other side. I have the new brake hoses and the 5 cylinders in shipping boxes. Hard lines I get at the local napa. I prefer the black coated lines. Still waiting for my kingpin set to arrive. I have always used NORS pins in the past but noticed a set of current manufacture by moog on many sites, so gonna give them a try. Really hoping they aren't the new 'pre-honed' style. Wih all the variables involved, how could they ever get that right? Sheesh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tailgate of junk Kingpin Rising.jpg (145.6 KB, 256 views)
Old 01-03-2022, 11:49 PM   #59
petehoovie

Quote:
This morning before work I removed the driver side kingpin with my newly fabricated kingpin 'pusher'. Inspired by a snap on product I saw in a thread here. With the 18v impact driver on the pusher bolt the kingpin rose steadily and easily. I had to add a piece of shafting to push it all the way out until I get a longer push bolt. The wooden honing spoon can't be far behind at this point. I have the backing plate and and spindle setting on my woodstove in the cabinet shop and after dinner will go down with my solvent and brush and get them cleaned up. Tomorrow the other side. I have the new brake hoses and the 5 cylinders in shipping boxes. Hard lines I get at the local napa. I prefer the black coated lines. Still waiting for my kingpin set to arrive. I have always used NORS pins in the past but noticed a set of current manufacture by moog on many sites, so gonna give them a try. Really hoping they aren't the new 'pre-honed' style. Wih all the variables involved, how could they ever get that right? Sheesh!

Old 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM   #60
GB SISSON

Since I have no heat in my shop where I work on trucks, I sneak up to my warm cabinet shop to set greasy parts etc on the woodstove so they can soften up. Then gunk and parts brush, laquer thinner, scotchbrite, sandpaper, air hose and a coat of red primer before I retire for the evening. It has worked out well for over 40 years. Woodshop pays for the heat and by early evening the dust has settled well enough for the kind of painting I do. Don't git much better than a day like this. Signed, 'Easily Amused'....