Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2021, 11:58 PM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Well, into the workshop with this rascal. You might recognize this door on a 1 1/2 ton earlier in this thread.. All I got was it's cab and this door, but what a prize. It sat outside here in the rain for six years. Never even looked at the bottom. Last night hit it with a knotted cup brush. I have another one similar for the driver side. Pulled a front brake so far. Nice bonded lining, really thick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TT in shop.jpg (144.0 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg TT door bottom.jpg (115.7 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg TT door bottom 2.jpg (120.2 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg TT door bottom 3.jpg (97.1 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg TT drivetrain in shop.jpg (149.7 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg lactose scare.jpg (59.2 KB, 433 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:01 AM   #22
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Well, into the workshop with this rascal. You might recognize this door on a 1 1/2 ton earlier in this thread.. All I got was it's cab and this door, but what a prize. It sat outside here in the rain for six years. Never even looked at the bottom. Last night hit it with a knotted cup brush. I have another one similar for the driver side. Pulled a front brake so far. Nice bonded lining, really thick.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Got the front wheels/hubs /brakes dissasembled and am amassing a list of brake parts to order. Everything but shoes and springs etc. Basically anything hydraulic. My wife was in town today doing some holiday shopping so I attacked the miserable tailgate situation and welded a piece pf 3/4" black pipe at the bottom as a stiffener and hinge much like Henry did, except he never would have wasted that much steel at the bottom of a tailgater.... Heck, most of the ones I have owned are still solid after almost 75 years in the weather......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TT tailgate 1.jpg (156.1 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg TT tailgate 2.jpg (148.8 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg TT interior.jpg (48.6 KB, 384 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 12-19-2021, 07:47 PM   #24
1952henry

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33425648474...4AAOSw2uFhuoZr

Perhaps another project? Not a jailbar, but already all wheel drive...
Ignore the f250 nonsense. First 3/4 ton of this era I have seen. Been a couple of 39 .5 tons surface in the last couple years.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:20 PM   #25
GB SISSON

That is a VERY nice MH project! The reason I stick to jailbar trucks is because the first batch of them came with tons of extra parts. That truck is in very nice condition for an MH. Usually they were beat to death by the government, then sold at auction and beat further by a local farmer!
Old 12-19-2021, 10:17 PM   #26
petehoovie

Quote:
Got the front wheels/hubs /brakes dissasembled and am amassing a list of brake parts to order. Everything but shoes and springs etc. Basically anything hydraulic. My wife was in town today doing some holiday shopping so I attacked the miserable tailgate situation and welded a piece pf 3/4" black pipe at the bottom as a stiffener and hinge much like Henry did, except he never would have wasted that much steel at the bottom of a tailgater.... Heck, most of the ones I have owned are still solid after almost 75 years in the weather......

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 12-19-2021, 11:18 PM   #27
GB SISSON

Thanks Mr. Hoovie, you've done it again. The PO of the truck I took the bed from had welded this angle bumper to the bed's rearmost crossmember and the butt ends of the frame rails. In order to remove it I chose to torch it off leaving a 34" gap in the angle between the frame rails. At some point I will fill this in. For some odd reason I sort of like this bumper with it's side stiffening pipe braces. The old guy I bought the truck from told me his uncle Oscar had built that bumper in the early sixties from scrap steel obtained from the nearby naval ship yard in Bremerton.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:58 PM   #28
cas3

That bumper looks pretty good for the times. Much of the home made stuff from the era wasnt so nice
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:17 PM   #29
GB SISSON

It is passable in my neighborhood. Not much, good or bad ever happens here. I live on a mountain in the middle of nowhere. My wife is working another 24 hour shift with home eldercare and I should be thrilled to be home alone, listening to the Alan Jackson Christmas album but I think about being a kid in the sixties and the neighbors would come by for a drink and my mom would play the piano and they'd all sing Christmas songs. Ok, different times, different worlds..... And , oh never mind, I'm being a nostalgic old sap again.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:39 AM   #30
sugarmaker

GB,
Just had a ting of that old kid thing when I plugged in the tree this morning! Miss smelling the real tree heat up with the old hot bulbs! We used to have snow in the winters. Not so much anymore?? My old bones dont seem to want to move liked they did. The greatgrandson just arrived to get on the buss to go to first grade. Maybe I am getting old??
I enjoy your work on the Jailbars! Have learned a lot about them! Having lots of parts in the rust free conditions sure makes it easier to get a new project started too! I really like how you build things that will function and last! We need a close up of the pipe in the tail gate.
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #31
sidevalve8ba

GB,
Here is a panel I found locally. As you can see it is pretty well spent. Pretty typical for this neck of the woods but I am sure it would be at least good for parts. Happy holidays and keep the stories of your projects coming. I sure enjoy reading them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0210171218 (1) (1).jpg (93.4 KB, 320 views)
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:22 PM   #32
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
GB,
Here is a panel I found locally. As you can see it is pretty well spent. Pretty typical for this neck of the woods but I am sure it would be at least good for parts. Happy holidays and keep the stories of your projects coming. I sure enjoy reading them!

Old 12-21-2021, 04:52 PM   #33
1952henry

Looks like some non-factory ventilation along the bottom.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:37 AM   #34
PeteVS

What's the panel in the background? Looks like a monster!
Old 12-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #35
GB SISSON

The panel in the foreground is a tonner. Actually not all that bad. I would tackle it because I have fairly low expectations. The panel behind it I would guess a chevy? Just not a ford. Maybe a dual wheeled 1 1/2 ton?
Old 12-22-2021, 07:25 PM   #36
cas3

Good guess GB, the army had some 1 1/2 ton chevys for radio trucks in the big one, WW2
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:06 PM   #37
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Good guess GB, the army had some 1 1/2 ton chevys for radio trucks in the big one, WW2
Sounds like a Dobie Gillis fan. His dad would always add that he fought in 'The Big One, WW2'.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:06 PM   #38
GB SISSON

Some tailgate stuff. The 3/4" black pipe was welded to a piece of 1/8 x 1" strap from the hardware store. Picture a cross section of this would look sorta like a letter Q. Then I cut off the rotten round section of the old gate and weld the 1/8" strap to the inside. Now from the front we see the jagged edge above the 3/4 pipe. I spot weld this every 2" or so. Douse with rustoleum rusty metal primer. It has a fish oil base and it is my Go To. When that is dry or a bit tacky I pump in a partial tube of 'sikaflex' polyurethane marine sealant. Picture this as bondo , but rubber. It sands and grinds well. OK, well enough. I will send a pic of this same thing I did to my red tonner 3 years ago. None of those bubbles that blossom out of a bondo/rust repair. Ick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green tailgate 1.jpg (160.1 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg green tailgate 2.jpg (139.4 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg green tailgate 3.jpg (59.6 KB, 276 views)
Old 12-22-2021, 10:14 PM   #39
GB SISSON

And my red diesel powered tonner. I did this tailgate 3 or 4 years ago and it sits in an open shed , tailgate facing the prevailing SW rain soaked Western Washington Winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redgate 1.jpg (149.2 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg redgate 2.jpg (147.1 KB, 335 views)
Old 12-22-2021, 10:45 PM   #40
petehoovie

Quote:
Some tailgate stuff. The 3/4" black pipe was welded to a piece of 1/8 x 1" strap from the hardware store. Picture a cross section of this would look sorta like a letter Q. Then I cut off the rotten round section of the old gate and weld the 1/8" strap to the inside. Now from the front we see the jagged edge above the 3/4 pipe. I spot weld this every 2" or so. Douse with rustoleum rusty metal primer. It has a fish oil base and it is my Go To. When that is dry or a bit tacky I pump in a partial tube of 'sikaflex' polyurethane marine sealant. Picture this as bondo , but rubber. It sands and grinds well. OK, well enough. I will send a pic of this same thing I did to my red tonner 3 years ago. None of those bubbles that blossom out of a bondo/rust repair. Ick.