Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2021, 06:33 AM   #101
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Floyd, 38 Coupe, David, Folks,
Thanks for the information! And positive comments. That is very helpful in the begining of a new project.
I will try to get some pictures today on the status of things on the 32.
Brief recap:
- Both front drums and brake systems are in review. Found a couple things.
- The gear shift lever is out for repair
- Incorrect reflectors and bed lights have been removed from sides.
- All the wood on the bed has been removed.
- Decision has been made to keep the patina look on the truck rims. (not blast and paint. exterior of spoke portion)
- engine, well nothing yet.
- I have gone through a couple rolls of paper towels, wiping the drool off of it when friends come over!
- The truck is starting to grow on me.
- The wife and I are talking again!
Regards,
Chris
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:38 AM   #102
sugarmaker

David, Folks,
The key lock is quite stiff. I will rotate it clockwise and try that. Not sure of the steering lock but will very carefully try both positions. The lock may be very dry inside? I will update you.
Was there anything on the pictures of the right side of the engine that you can comment on?
Regards,
Chris
Old 06-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #103
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Floyd, 38 Coupe, David, Folks,
Thanks for the information! And positive comments. That is very helpful in the begining of a new project.
I will try to get some pictures today on the status of things on the 32.
Brief recap:
- Both front drums and brake systems are in review. Found a couple things.
- The gear shift lever is out for repair
- Incorrect reflectors and bed lights have been removed from sides.
- All the wood on the bed has been removed.
- Decision has been made to keep the patina look on the truck rims. (not blast and paint. exterior of spoke portion)
- engine, well nothing yet.
- I have gone through a couple rolls of paper towels, wiping the drool off of it when friends come over!
- The truck is starting to grow on me.
- The wife and I are talking again!
Regards,
Chris

In regards to the split rims. Make sure the mounting services on the wheel and ring are clean and rust free. Don't want to have a ring fail to seat properly and come loose, either while mounting or sometime down the road. But then I'm sure you know this. Can't say enough about your truck. Looking forward to continuing updates.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #104
DavidG

Chris,

In response to your question, the left side of the engine compartment is pretty much as it was the day it was built allowing for decades of use. It has the early version of the intake manifold with the long vacuum line for the windshield wiper motor (slightly bent downward) consistent with it being a fairly early production vehicle. As with the left side, the engine splash pan attached to the frame side rail and front cross member is missing.

It has no air cleaner/silencer, engine steady rods, nor firewall-mounted oscillation damper, but then it did not have them when new, unlike the fours in '32 passenger cars and commercial vehicles. The air line for the gas gauge is missing and both the flex line into the fuel pump and the tubing from the pump to the carburetor have been replaced as has the original two-blade fan (the four-blade four-cylinder fan was adopted during the '33 model year). The rubber portion of the hood side bumper attached on top of the front fender flange is missing and the radiator hose clamps are not the originals.

It appears that the handle of the early hood latch that shows up in one of photos was originally chrome plated, which is unusual as the hood latches on standard commercial vehicles and big trucks were normally all black painted with the chrome-handled versions reserved for passenger cars and deluxe commercial vehicles. Are the other three hood latch handles the same?

When it is convenient, may we see a photo of the left side of the engine compartment that differs from that you provided previously. I noted in an earlier photo that it still has its original early small diameter oil filler tube and cap, but there is a characteristic of the early B cylinder block casting that I am curious to learn if it still survived at the time your truck's engine was manufactured. In your previous photo, the left side of the block is largely obscured by the water inlet pipe and its two sections of rubber radiator hose.

Thanks!
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:28 PM   #105
sugarmaker

David, 51504bat, Folks
I will try to get some pictures of the left side of the engine too.
Some random shots from today:
Right side brake review, Well when I took the drum off there was a oval washer laying in the drum.

Found this to be the outer retainer/ guide for the sliding portion of the brake actuator. So this had to be taken apart and repaired. Basically re attaching the oval plate.

Upper adjuster rod cleaned up,

Just hanging out in the shop:

Got the left side brake drum back on and ready to tune the brake rods when I get a new set of the over sized pins:

Weather was great! Low humidity and mid 70's:

Jim and I worked a little on his Doddle Tug today also. Mainly getting ready to put on new brake rods and ends,

In this last shot the mud flaps and cross bar have been removed. Bed is setting down in home position, Door check on drivers side was found in the door and repaired and reinstalled.

Key was turned all the way to the clockwise position and wiggled out of the ignition. Then WD40 was squirted in the key hole and into the lock above it. Way much better!

Have new seat springs (all three) at Snyder's for pick up on Friday. Haven't been there before so looking forward to seeing there store too.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited by sugarmaker; 06-14-2021 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:42 PM   #106
al's28/33

Tell the Snyder's guys.... "HELLO" from all of us at the Barn! We love those guys!!! They will be happy to help you and they will enjoy seeing your progress too!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #107
Seabees

Sugarmaker! Nice find! I too am working on a '32 BB. It belongs to a local farmer who's family bought it new. It's pretty beat being a farm truck, but we're getting there. Frame, running gear, engine, and radiator are all done and back together. Waiting on my body guy to finish the body. If you need any advice, call someone who knows more than me! I've been at it for about a year and a half now, and I've learned a lot about it, mostly the hard way since I am in Eastern Oregon and there are very few mechanics out here other than me, who work on this old stuff. I'm mostly a Model A guy, but figured I'd broaden my horizon! There are a few good sources, Renner's Corner to name a good one. One thing I've learned is that the '32 is unique in that there seems to be few parts to come by, and then they are expensive! I still need a radiator cap, but have never seen one for sale. I did acquire a choke cable, which was missing, for $300. Pretty spendy I thought! Keep us informed! If I can help in any way, don't hesitate to contact me. Good luck!
Seabees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:55 AM   #108
sugarmaker

al,
I will try to remember to tell Snyder's about the good folks here!

Seebees,
Point me to your thread if you have one too please. or post some pictures here.

Folks,
Leg cramps have me up in the middle of the night! So I thought I would check in
Looking at the Firestone 6.00-20 tires from Miller or Coker. Going to start with getting 3 here soon. Tires, tubes and flaps.
Will need to make masks for each side of each wheel if I get them sand blasted. the split ring will have to be blasted on just the tire side maybe?? Would like to keep as much of the barn find look as possible. Any other suggestions are welcome too.

Another small project is to weld up the gear shift positioning slot that is worn out and rework back to a slot, from a current "Y" shape. I will get a picture.

Regards,
Chris
Old 06-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #109
51504bat

I've never used Lucas Tire in Long Beach, CA but they list a 6.00x20 Firestone truck tire with a tread pattern IMO that would be perfect for your truck.
https://www.lucasclassictires.com/60...ll-761399L.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 15119872761341336630367.jpeg (61.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-15-2021, 04:33 PM   #110
sugarmaker

51504bat,
Yes that is the tire. Same tire Miller and Coker have too. The short time I have researched this looks like the only version that might work. They are all about the same price.
Now I did talk to Snyder and they have a actual Lucas tire that is not the same for a 1 ton truck, it is $159 and 1350 lb load rating but I dont like the tread pattern as well.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-15-2021, 06:15 PM   #111
hotcoupe

As for leg cramps, put a bar of lavender soap under your bed sheet near your legs. Your leg cramps will be a thing of the past, i know it sounds crazy, but it WORKS! you are very fortunate to have such a neat truck.
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #112
KDL

I ended up getting 6 Firestone truck tires from Coker, tubes and rim guards from Miller. They look great on the truck.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:49 AM   #113
sugarmaker

Hotcoupe, KDL, Folks,
Thanks for the cramp suggestion. We have used the over the counter Leg Cramp pills and they work in about 5 -10 minutes.

I need to call Coker and Millers on the tires. I need 7 of those rascals. Just goes with the territory of these projects. I am used to it as almost all my tractors have required new rubber. Those are about the same price range too. Just only need two for the rear of a tractor!

I completed the right front brake review. repair, clean and reassemble. Also greased the zerks on both sides of the front end. All but one took grease. Took the front brake rods off and cleaned up the adjusters and lubed with a dab of never seize. They will be ready for tuning the brakes when needed.
Will get the over size pins and open all the holes to .340+ dia. and install the new pins at some point. Forf now its just back as it was. No parts laying around! The only new items used up to this point has been cotter pins.

On to the rear brakes:
Have the right rear wheels off. (learnig about the double stud over stud system)

Of course one stud stayed in the wheel. We got it apart. Just took a little noodling, cleaning, and wire brushing of the treads. Correct tooling and paitence!

Now the hub seems to be VERY tight! Probably just stuck on stud areas and the axle. I did release the brake shoes, by turning the adjuster counter clockwise (if you are looking at the backing plate from under the truck). Tried my puller and it broke so she is tight. Suggestions welcome here but My guess it just will take time, blaster, and the right tooling and it will pop off? Maybe a BFH too? I see the key in the axle.

shot of disrtributor: Need to check MAC's for parts.

need drivers side door guide (missing) Drivers door has damage where this attaches.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 06-16-2021 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:32 AM   #114
deuce lover

Hub should be pulled from the snout,not from the studs- at least that's how the pass car and pickups are done.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:02 PM   #115
sugarmaker

deuce lover,
Humm from the snout? There only fine threads for the cap to screw on the snout. I brought home a stout puller from a friend and need to see if it will fit/ work. It is heavy and made for pulling hubs.

Have done some checking on tires. I kind of like the look of the Firestone 6.00-20. I looked at the Lucas too. They might be fine, They look a little more like a rounder car tire??
Tire, tubes, and flap availability is a issue.
Some pictures requested by David of the drivers side of the "B" engine:

Also the rad cap is about 3.5 inches in dia I dont see any markings under the cap but it is very dirty. Lots of dents!

The rust:
(repeat picture) Lower passangers door:

Rear inboard area at spare well.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-16-2021, 09:04 PM   #116
sugarmaker

Ford folks,
Some other shots:
Rear hub:

Anothe engine shot:

My wife asked me tonight if I was going ot paint it all up. I said no. I think she was a little disappointed!

Headlights:

Repaired the very worn shift lever where the cross pin and the slot meet.
Before:

After, used a 17/64 pin and enlarged the hole in the tower.

Which one of these dip sticks is correct? The long one was in the engine. The short one was behind the seat:

Hope to visit Snyder's Friday and get seat springs and a few other goodies too.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 06-16-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:09 PM   #117
DavidG

Chris,

Both the starter and generator are the original versions.

The firewall is the non-early version and loaded up with non-original electrical system stuff on the left side.

The shorter of the two oil dipsticks is the original.

The left side engine splash pan did survive after all. The bump in the engine block casting that I thought might be there is not, so it had been eliminated by the time that block had been cast.

When you clean up the underside of the radiator cap you may (or may not) find the name "Eaton" stamped there. They manufactured the cap for Ford (and they are still in business making cooling system components).

In the minutia department, the front grease fitting on the water pump was replaced with the zerk type, possibly as soon as in 1933.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #118
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks for the details under the hood.
Found tires at Miller. Tubes and flaps at Lucas.
Springs at Snyder's. And catalog coming from MAC's. Still haven't worked hard on getting the books you suggested.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #119
Bob C

Mac's catalog may be good for reference but there are better vendors.
https://thirdgenauto.com/
https://cgfordparts.com/
https://www.earlyfordstore.com/
http://www.southsideobsolete.com/Sou...e/Welcome.html

Last edited by Bob C; 06-17-2021 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add to list
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #120
Floyd

Bob C is correct here. Mac's is a good catalog for armchair reading. Don't get taken in by "easy- just order it from the catalogitis". For this truck you want NOS only or contact the people noted above. There are enough people following this thread that they as a group can come up with all the NOS stuff you need.
As to mama bear.
Go back to my original thought may pages ago.
Tell her that Mr. truck is going to get a good bath and shampoo and a new set of clothes (aka seat upholstery) and new shoes and he will be looking good to go back to work.
Give it a try.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote