Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2022, 07:59 PM   #1061
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill OH View Post
You might also try Gaslight Auto, Urbana, Ohio
Bill,
Thanks for the tip!
Today we processed venison into burger, a few nice rump roasts and some back-straps. All in the freezer and done! We move forward!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:53 PM   #1062
sugarmaker

Ford barn folks,
So we are under a winter blast: 2 feet drift in front of the house garage. Propane is whistling through the pipes! Maggie is loving it!

Got to the shop and started on the drivers door glass. Took the top cover off the door.

Brought the window up and popped the lower window track slide off of the roller.

Roller is spring loaded and needed cleaning and oiling:

Lower track:

Have measurements on the glass so I can get prices on that.

Also the front felt U shaped piece came out in two pieces. It is 32 inches in length. Has metal clips on both ends. T shaped part on bottom, and a hook on the top. These are riveted on to the felt channel.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-17-2022, 05:32 PM   #1063
Newc

I need an index to this post. I am using it as an reference for my PU project. The V8 Ford club books are slow getting here. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:42 PM   #1064
DavidG

Chris,

Judging from your latest batch of photos, the driver's door glass has been replaced along the way with laminated safety glass. If it were still plate glass, it would have fallen apart by now given that it was broken in several places. There is evidence that it is de-laminating in the damaged area.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:52 AM   #1065
sugarmaker

Newc, David, Folks,
I am not sure my thread on this ragged ol' truck should be used as a guide, maybe like a cure for insomnia? Hope you can get something from it. The thread has somewhat spiraled out of control! Sorry!
David,
I figured the same thing as I pondered the glass more. It was still mostly as a unit even with the big cracks. It may go back in the truck?? Will try to get some local glass
I am learning about the window felts. It has been many years since I did these on my 55 Ford Crown Vic. I see Snyder's has some pieces and parts that might work and still have to run down the other leads given to me also.
The passengers side felts are there but not in good shape. I may take it apart also. One reason would be to see how these metal channels fit in the back (lock side) of the door.
I have most of the pieces for the passengers side I think but maybe a small part is missing?
Also the drivers side door guide area has been damaged from years of use and really needs repaired. The door really should be removed and a small patch welded in place. Now would be the right time to do that repair. Will see how ambitious I get!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-18-2022, 06:37 PM   #1066
bobH

Regarding glass... And, I'm hoping David will comment... On my 34, which I assume might be similar, I was not up to speed on 'laminated' safety glass, versus tempered safety glass. My local glass shop didn't advise me, and I went ahead and said 'sure' to tempered safety glass. That turned out to be a minor error on my part, because the glass thickness was ever so slightly different. This resulted in having to 'adjust' slightly... the material that holds the glass in place, and the width of the repro window channels that I got. If I were to do this job again, I'd be interested in hearing David's views on what he'd do in this regard. Obviously, just opinion here.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:18 AM   #1067
sugarmaker

BobH, Folks,
I did not know about the thickness. I will measure the thickness on the old glass and use that as a guide too. Thanks!
Folks,
I did check with Steele and they make 5 foot lengths of the window felt, similar to what Snyder's may have also. Gaslight did not have the window felts. They recommended trying Mid West Ford. So after running some of the leads to ground, I have somewhat decided I will get the felts window channels and glue them in place. Snyder's has several of the items that I need to complete the window work. Like the upper window seal and the rubber bumper where the glass frame will rest, and the glass bedding for the window track.
More investigative work revealed that the original vertical metal window felt retaining channel had been broken at some point. Will decide how to put that back together along with several other worn areas in the drivers door.
The plan is developing that both doors would get the new felts for the glass. The drivers door would get new glass. Hope to get local glass prices for the 25-5/8 x 16-3/4 flat side window.
Like a lot of things, its one of those jobs that doesn't look like you did much when completed.
Here is where the door striker area needs repaired. I think the metal fatiqued from many hard knocks:

This is the metal track that broke. Not one of Fords better ideas as this is very thin at the notch area about 4 inches from the top:

The corner of the glass is not good. How do folks get the lower metal glass channel off the glass??

Another minor issue is to improve the seal on the gas tank cap. (sorry blurry)

A crust on the opening of the tank. hoping a new gasket may be the answer:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-19-2022, 08:31 AM   #1068
STEVE O

Hi Chris,
Still loving every one of your posts. Keep them coming. I can answer your question of how to remove the lower metal channel off of the glass. It can be done by slowing driving a tapered screwdriver in and it will force it off. Any good glass shop will have a special tool to pull it off and it works like a champ. My recommendation is to have them install the channel back on for you. The glass tape is a special thickness per glass thickness and they usually put oil on it and once installed it will swell. I'm not sure what glass shops you may have in your area but flat glass that that is not real expensive to have cut and channel installed back.
Take care
Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:46 AM   #1069
corvette8n

I used our local glass shop to cut a new vent window, took my old one to them and they cut a new one, price was the same as mail ordering glass with shipping. I bought glass setting tape from Bob Drake and did it myself. I put the roll of setting tape and the glass and frame out in the sun for about an hour before I attempted the install, came out great.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #1070
sugarmaker

Steve, corvette8n, folks
Thanks for the suggestions. I just got a quote for .25 inch thick window glass $125 ish. The current thickness is .225 inches.
I may have them remove the lower frame and install the frame back on the glass too??
Might eliminate any issues like I would typically create?
The plan is starting to come together.
Albany NY may have gotten some of the same snow we got Sunday night!

So on a side note how hard is it to pull the hinge pins on these old units? I see discussions and special tools. Is the shank of the hinge pin knurled and pressed in? Considering removing the drivers door to repair the damage at the guide area.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-19-2022, 09:35 AM   #1071
51504bat

Don't use WD 40 as a lubricant on the glass when installing it in the channel. Window cleaner only. At least that's the advice from the glass guy who cut the door glass for my '39 p/u.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:40 AM   #1072
sugarmaker

5140bat,
Thanks! I may try to remove this lower window channel from the glass. Whats the worst that could happen? Ok maybe we should not go there? I could damage the metal frame. in fact it looks to have some corrosion through the bottom. That would not be a good thing to have that look like a pretzel! I wonder if warming it would help?? Heat gun??
I would like to clean it up and maybe apply some corrosion inhibitor. Then it would be ready for install on new glass.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-19-2022, 09:53 AM   #1073
ssffnomad

Maple, Yes, we also received 4-5” Sunday / Monday
Vette8n, hi neighbor. Glass shop close to me closed up.
Who did you use ?
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:17 AM   #1074
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
5140bat,
Thanks! I may try to remove this lower window channel from the glass. Whats the worst that could happen? Ok maybe we should not go there? I could damage the metal frame. in fact it looks to have some corrosion through the bottom. That would not be a good thing to have that look like a pretzel! I wonder if warming it would help?? Heat gun??
I would like to clean it up and maybe apply some corrosion inhibitor. Then it would be ready for install on new glass.
Regards,
Chris

IIRC heat is the way to go. Don't remember if the advise was a heat gun or a torch. You might give this place a call and ask. He is a car guy and very helpful. He should be able to give you the correct way to go in short order.

https://streetrodglass.com/
(951) 789-8870
Old 01-19-2022, 10:28 AM   #1075
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Albany NY may have gotten some of the same snow we got Sunday night!
Chris
Not as much as the southern areas, got about 4 inches, more of a nuisance.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:01 AM   #1076
Als48

Sugarmaker, if that lower channel contributes in any way to the location of the glass front to rear, be sure and get a measurement so that it can be replaced in its current location.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:28 PM   #1077
sugarmaker

Al, Folks,
Just waiting for pictures to load.
The interweb is a great tool. Found info on removing glass from the bottom channel. Cut along the old bedding, drive a wide putty knife in to that seam. I then clamped the glass down and gently used a piece of wood and a hammer to remove the bottom channel.
The old glass was almost centered in the channel.
Scraped out the rust, scotch brite pad on die grinder to clean it up, degreased, dried and shot it with a coat of rust reformer.

Pulled out the old window bedding:

Some venting:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-19-2022, 12:48 PM   #1078
Bob C

Check out this link for window parts, look at second page 1932-34 truck parts.
Don't know how close they are to original. http://www.wescottsauto.com/WebCatal...indowParts.pdf
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #1079
DavidG

Chris,

You did exactly what I do to remove the glass from the lower channel, namely a straight length of wood and gentle tapping on the wood alternating sides. There is a special rubber seal used to install the new glass in the horizontal channel that has a lip on the outer edge that helps divert water from entering the door. Michael no doubt has it as do other suppliers. As thought previously, your driver's side window glass had been replaced at least once previously and the lipped glass setting seal for the horizontal channel was not used at that time.

bobH,

In that era, all of Ford's safety glass was of the laminated form with only one exception which was tempered glass for some convertible rear windows as a weight savings.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:52 PM   #1080
sugarmaker

BobC, David, Ford Barn Folks,
Reviewed the info from wescott auto. Some good stuff there for sure.
Tomorrow I will try to get the glass cut and then move forward from there. Lower window channel looks pretty good but I see Westcott has replacements so that's a big plus for someone who might need that. I think this old channel will work just fine. Will see what the glass place has to say. If they can install the glass into that frame I will get that done.

I do see that rubber part that has a lip to keep water out. I may not get that unless they would have it as a option at the glass shop.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-30-2022 at 09:44 AM.