Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #41
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Chris,

As Bob C has noted, your front seat cushion is a replacement as the original was in two sections, each with its own wood frame to which the springs are attached. Neither was hinged or otherwise attached to the tank but rather their opening in the center of their wood frames fit snugly over raised areas stamped into the top of the gas tank. All of the '32 commercial vehicle and big truck front seat bottoms share that characteristic with the exception panel deliveries.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:20 PM   #42
Floyd

Just my 4 cents; first two cent thought is to take the radiator cap and put it in the vault until you can keep an eye on it. Don't let it out of your sight.
second two cents would be to make it functionally perfect without disturbing any of the patina or age or character markings. It needs to be that well used work truck (but running and driving perfectly).
I had a friend who took an original untouched model T and rebuilt the running gear to perfection without disturbing any of the grease, dirt or rust on the engine, trans or rear end. Took extra time to perserve that but he has a perfect driving time capsule.
Congrats on your project!
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:40 PM   #43
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Just my 4 cents; first two cent thought is to take the radiator cap and put it in the vault until you can keep an eye on it. Don't let it out of your sight.
second two cents would be to make it functionally perfect without disturbing any of the patina or age or character markings. It needs to be that well used work truck (but running and driving perfectly).
I had a friend who took an original untouched model T and rebuilt the running gear to perfection without disturbing any of the grease, dirt or rust on the engine, trans or rear end. Took extra time to perserve that but he has a perfect driving time capsule.
Congrats on your project!
Floyd... you put that acrossed perfectly. I am in complete agreement with you. I think the singer Tom Waits once said "you musta read my mail" .
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #44
DavidG

Further to the good advice given about the radiator cap, you would think that since every '32 standard commercial vehicle and big truck came with one they would not be the equivalent of hen's teeth. By the end of the '32 model run there more than 111,000 of those caps in circulation. Where they've all gone is anybody's guess, but I suspect most were simply lost or misplaced or left behind at gas stations. In any event, when you get your truck up and running carry along a reproduction passenger car cap and when you park your truck out in public and leave the one presently on your truck inside the locked cab wrapped in a rag. They have a habit of taking flight if left in place on unattended commercial vehicles and big trucks and to replace it requires lots of luck and serious money.

Last edited by DavidG; 06-05-2021 at 10:37 PM. Reason: poor typing
Old 06-05-2021, 09:15 PM   #45
sugarmaker

Folks thanks for the hints on the 32 radiator cap I would not have realized that.
What would be a good average value for one of these rad caps?
Regards,
Chris
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:44 AM   #46
deuce lover

Between $400 and $800
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #47
sugarmaker

Yikes! I had no clue they would be that pricey? I would have guessed maybe $25?? A little out of touch on this end.
Regards,
Chris
Old 06-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #48
Floyd

I think the problem with that 32 commercial radiator cap is that it looks like a plain ole garden variety sorta model A look and they never achieved any special status until a person goes to replace one and finds out they are 1 of 1. Case in point is a friend of mine is an expert on early V8 Fords, knows all the part numbers by heart ,has enough NOS parts to build a new '34, . He is a truck guru. I was there one day when he was sorting through a bucket of "stuff" and was about to throw away "an old probably model A radiator cap when I saw it. I screamed "stop, go get a white glove and carefully pick up that cap and put it in a safety deposit box"! He was going to give it to me or scrap it. True story and probably the same story for the other 100,000+ caps that went missing.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:42 PM   #49
sugarmaker

Floyd,
That is a neat story. And your right, I gave the cap no mind what so ever. I will surely give it a better look when I get to the truck again! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
This might be the best picture I have of the rad top, cap. Looks like it may have some dents??

Regards,
Chris
Old 06-07-2021, 01:59 AM   #50
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Yikes! I had no clue they would be that pricey? I would have guessed maybe $25?? A little out of touch on this end.
Regards,
Chris

Welcome to the '32 Ford world.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:44 AM   #51
sugarmaker

Folks,
I will try to check in in the morning and in the evening as I begin to learn more about the world some of you live in. I was looking at the picture of the dump bed and thinking about the notch cut in the lowest board on the headboard on the passengers side. I could not figure this out as to why it was not complete. Then it hit me. This truck was a well drillers he carried at tank of water and some pipe. I think the notch was to hold the, longer than bed, pipes in place? What do you think?

You guys got me worried about the radiator cap! what other surprises do you have for me??

Hope things are good in Ford land!

Just some notes about me: Currently driving a 2015 F250 Super Duty 6.7 Power Stroke. Lariat package. Its my daily driver and play toy hauler.
Wife Cheryl has 2016 Edge
Have 53 Ford Jubilee which does most of the work around here while the orange tractors get washed and set inside!
Also a Ford LGT100 garden tractor that is in need of much work.
Have several Cub Cadets including a 147R and several implements that can be pulled as a train at shows.
Regards,
Chris
Old 06-07-2021, 06:57 AM   #52
sugarmaker

Folks,
I do have a few more random pictues:

If I have posted duplicates sorry.

Regards,
Chris
Old 06-07-2021, 09:49 AM   #53
deuce lover

Looks like the engine dust pans are missing or at least the left from your pic.The head lights have been replaced.The correct air cleaner is also a tough one to find. I see it does not have the assy dualtemp (fuel/temp)gauge.The few I have found were in the big trucks.Here is a pic of what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 dualtemp 1.jpg (35.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-07-2021, 08:55 PM   #54
sugarmaker

deuce lover,
Thanks for the information. I knew about the headlights. Didnt know about the dust pan??
Will need to get some more pictures Wednesday!
That gauge is a nice one!
Regards,
Chris
Old 06-07-2021, 10:38 PM   #55
DavidG

Sheldon,

Early and mid-year '32 commercial vehicles and big trucks did not have any air cleaner or silencer as standard equipment, only the passenger car fours (and V8s) were so equipped. The first standard equipment attachment to big truck carburetors was a backfire arrestor (BB-9600) in early September (whose survival rate seems to be extremely low). Three oil bath air cleaners were released for service starting in June. The first, BB-9625, intended primarily for trucks, was followed in October by B-9625, intended for all '32 vehicles. Both of those oil bath air cleaners were mounted on the firewall. Lastly, late in the model year, a cylinder-head-mounted oil bath air cleaner (B-9625-B) was released for service for all fours, following the release for service of a cylinder-head-mounted oil bath air cleaner for V8s in October.

For obvious practical reasons, I would recommend having one of those alternatives on any '32 big truck.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:08 PM   #56
deuce lover

Thanks for that info.I presume that those big trucks had the dust pans?
Old 06-08-2021, 05:58 AM   #57
sugarmaker

David, Deuce Lover, Folks,
Being a newbie, I will have a lot of catching up to do on items related to 32's. Also some research on some of these items. Have to look for the books David recommended too.

Here is what we worked on yesterday. Jim B's Doodle tug. Replaced U bolts on the right side spring perch and moved that side back 1 inch to re-align the axle. Torch and a lot of ground time.

Regards,
Chris
Old 06-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #58
rockfla

Sugarmaker
There is an ad in the swap meet section right now for a set of "commercial" headlights if you need a pair!!!! 06/08/2021 at 1:35pm est
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #59
DavidG

Unfortunately they sold quickly and they were good ones. I guess they are a little bit like the radiator caps, not in price, but in availability, despite over 222,000 having been produced. There's always the option of painting the buckets of a pair of passenger car head lamps as they are otherwise identical and there are lots of '32 passenger car lamps that have survived.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #60
DavidG

Sheldon,

Ford designated them pans (engine) R.H. (BB-6775) and L.H. (BB-6776), not to be confused with pan (oil) assembly, basic part number 6675. I refer to them as engine splash pans. BB-6775 was not provided as a service part but rather the parts catalogs state that they are to be made from the B-6775 passenger car/commercial vehicle four-cylinder pan, which involved trimming the B-prefix pan. Unfortunately I do not have a photo of the BB-prefix pans to share.