Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2021, 06:16 PM   #21
Bill OH

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

This small rod on the side of the shift lever is for reverse. Use your thumb on the little lever and pull up and at the same time push the shift lever to the right and then back toward the seat and that selects reverse. Push the lever to the left and forward is creeper low, straight back toward the seat is first, push the lever forward to neutral, then to the right, then forward and that gives second, then straight back toward the seat and your in third. When in neutral, by pulling up on the little lever on the left side of the shift lever allows further travel to the right to engage reverse. You will need to double clutch during shifting except for reverse and starting from dead stop.. My father had a 33 ton and half with the V8. I remember it well. You will enjoy. Nice truck.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:19 PM   #22
al's28/33

W-O-W !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
I LOVE IT!!!

Post all the pictures you can this will be a GREAT project!!!!!!!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:34 PM   #23
KDL

Very very nice. I use the dump on mine often. You'll find it useful to have around. Great find.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:05 PM   #24
sugarmaker

Folks,
Thank all of you for the responses! Obviously there are still a lot of old Ford lovers out there. Bill OH, Thanks for the explanation of the reverse lock out thumb lever! Its cute as a button! My Allis tractors have a spring loaded feature to keep you from going into reverse too. Also the same shift "H" pattern. So that will be easy to remember!

By the way in my life these are some of the other projects! I hope you dont mind me sharing. I can go a little over the top some times!
1954 Allis-Chalmers WD45 that I did a (RCP) Refurb, Clean and Paint. The mounted 3 bottom plows are the same ones I used when I was a kid.

A friend on my WD45 at plow day:

Also just built a new shop since this time last year. Still much to do but made it through winter OK. This is one of the reasons I was looking for a new project too. Ok I like to show it off. So far I like it a lot! Should be a nice place to work on the 32 also!

The wife caught me actually trying to do some work on the shop:

Added a jib crane during the build:

another Allis WD:

My home away from home!

1/2 mile of PEX in the floor:

The wife and I:

some concrete:

Working on the inside now: still lots to do . This will be the home for the 32.
I have a spot picked out.

We have some winter too was happy to be dried in for first snow last fall:

interior walls (two zones of heat):

Stairs to the loft:

Some of my toys in the shop. Yes I will make room for the 32 for sure. I have a spot picked out already!

R38 in ceiling:

cont:
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #25
sugarmaker

Folks cont:
Yes I have a 53 Ford Jubilee also and a F250 Super Crew to keep the dump truck company

Utility room with boiler and half bath:

White liner panels for the ceiling and 3 foot up the walls:

lighting and jib with 2 ton Dayton hoist:

Brought back this Allis F40 fork lift from the brink of being scraped. Grandson the master electrician on the job running it:

Rough cut Hemlock for the interior above the white steel on the walls:

Current look: It is 40 x 64. 10 foot eaves, 6/12 outside roof pitch with 3/12 inside in the high bay area. Loft is 28 x 14 x 7'2".

Yea I know picture overload sorry!
Regards,
Chris
Old 06-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #26
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
That's a nice truck Chris, and should be a fun project for you getting that back in drivable condition.
I bought one similar to that about 15 years ago. It was also a 131" wb, but had a stake bed rather than dump. Wound up selling it about 5 years ago. Had too many other projects going, and no time to work on that one. I could post some pics if you'd like to see your trucks brother
I would love to see the brother of my proposed truck. I say that because till its in the shop, I am never ready to call it mine.
So did you get yours drive able? Biggest challenges??
Regards,
Chris
Old 06-02-2021, 11:54 PM   #27
al's28/33

BEAUTIFUL SHOP...… just takes my breath away...…..
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:04 AM   #28
tomcarman

And radiant floor heating. What a dream that would be for me. If I have to be on concrete at least it should be warm. Please keep posting your progress.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:30 AM   #29
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
And radiant floor heating. What a dream that would be for me. If I have to be on concrete at least it should be warm. Please keep posting your progress.
Amen to that! Heck, any kind of heat would be welcome... And I too am a lover of the heavier Ford trucks. I have owned no fewer than 25 of them over the years. First was a '28 AA 1 1'/2 ton when I was 19 (born in '53). I have exhibited Trucks, tractors, and Hit n Miss engines at Our show in August at Lynden Wa every year for 34 years. Here's my '32.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pulling the Possum.jpg (66.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Possum.jpg (63.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg p lodge 3.jpg (68.4 KB, 74 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:38 AM   #30
flatford8

Your shop and truck are amazing!!!!......Great tractor collection!!!.....to find a dump truck without a dented roof is awesome!!! Great post, I’ll be looking forward to reading/seeing more....... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #31
sugarmaker

Thanks Guys!
The shop is a dream I have had for 20 years or more. Being of similar age as Mr Sisson (I was born in early 52) and of reasonable health I decided to take the plunge and just build it! I have not regreted it yet. Still gobs of work to do on the inside. I already have enough "junk" as the wife calls it to fill it too!
GB, Man your 32 looks awesome! I think these look great with the flat bed. I see your headlights look just like mine too. So I assume this was a typical change to go up to the sealed beam headlights? Your rims and tires look awesome! Now Im jealous!!

Off to the shop to help Jim work on his 29 Doodle Tug. We got it started for the first time in maybe 20 years?? John, The Model A guy, provide the parts and details for the final testing and start up. We think this is a factory tug that moved product? Today we evaluate why the axle has moved forward on the left side of the rear end. Also to get the battery box and new battery in place, and attach the seat, and secure the muffler and put in a gas shut off .......:

A glimpse:

Just added a pintle hitch for him to attach his nice wagon to it!

Yea he need to get on here and start his own thread! He has a 29 Doodle bug also,Its next to come over to the shop. We are trying to get this stuff ready for the July 16th Pioneer Steam and Gas Engine Show in Sagertown PA featuring Ford Tractors. Hoping to have the debut of the 32 there also.

Regards,
Chris
Old 06-03-2021, 07:17 AM   #32
rockfla

Wow Sugarmaker, I have a 50 X 60 shop and have been pretty fortunate and happy to have my shop and all that's in it. You've managed to make me jealous with your shop, sans the heated floor.....Give me A/C as here in No Fla "Heat" is only needed for "MAYBE" 20 to 30 days max! If that. But the heat and humidity 80% of the time is my enemy. AND yellow flies & Mosquitos. Fantastic collection you have there!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #33
flatford8

That Tug looks like one of the little trucks used at a airport. But, it’s to early for that. Doesn’t look to be “homemade” either...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #34
John R

Sugarmaker,
That is one nice truck. The condition is amazing considering that dump trucks usually have a very hard life.
I've got lots of parts for 32 BB trucks. Let me know when you find you need something.
Good luck,
John
Old 06-03-2021, 09:48 PM   #35
sugarmaker

Rock,
Sounds like you have a nice shop also! Mine is not yet organized, maybe never will be??

Flatford8,
Not sure of the history of the tug, It started right up easily today after Jim completed the gas line and installed the battery! Still have to look at the 1 inch axle movement issue.

John,
Thanks, I will probably be talking with you at some point.

We set a date of next Wednesday to bring the 32 home.
Should be able to pull it into the shop on the trailer and take a deep breath. I will have some pictures of the move for sure.
Regards,
Chris

Last edited by sugarmaker; 06-04-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:07 PM   #36
Tinker

Sooo... how's the truck going. Nice pictures. I'm a old tractor hit/miss guy too. Shop pictures are neat.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:24 AM   #37
Mart

I'm really glad to see that the truck has been bought by someone who has a good grasp of the situation. Too often these trucks are bought by a newcomer who thinks it can be driven for hours at highway speeds and will drive like a modern car or pickup. You, Sugarmaker, have a very nice shop and plenty of space to look after that old survivor. Good luck with it and always bear in mind often the best policy is to do as little as possible to it.
I look forward to seeing how the project progresses.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:12 AM   #38
sugarmaker

Tinker, Mart, Folks,
Will try to get some pictures as the 32 comes out of the garage next week. The idea of doing less fits right in with getting to this age in life too! Great suggestion!
Lets see maybe a couple pictures I havent posted yet. Dont be suprized ifsomething comes up that was already talked about.
The seating:

Well to me the back of the seat looks original. I guess is that the bottom is from a car, because I have seen that theses are typically a split front seat. Someone is making new repro seat spring sections.
Anyway so do you remove the seat to fill the tank?? Just shows how much I dont know about these vintage machines.
Any seat info would help too.
It looks like it is VERY well worn! from 20 years of service.

The side mount. I think this is a neat feature on these too. I got a picture of the chassis from David G and it shows that the spare could have also been under the rear of the frame.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited by sugarmaker; 06-04-2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:29 AM   #39
Bob C

Here is a picture of the seat bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 8.26.26 AM.jpg (11.1 KB, 125 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #40
sugarmaker

Bob C,
Thank you for posting this picture of the seat and gas tank. Was the passenger seat hinged? My seat was probably worn out and replaced, with a full seat of some type? May not even be Ford??
Regards,
Chris