Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #201
Reds34

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Chris,

Will you not lose some of that gap when you install the wood frame for the bottom cushions?

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #202
51504bat

This wrecker showed up at a Saturday morning coffee and donuts get together I go to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tt1.jpg (54.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg tt2.jpg (52.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg tt4.jpg (50.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg tt3.jpg (56.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 07-03-2021, 11:59 AM   #203
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
This wrecker showed up at a Saturday morning coffee and donuts get together I go to.
I think Chris needs this one too! Imagine having BOTH of those side-by-side . . . wouldn't that be cool.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:39 PM   #204
sugarmaker

Red,5150, Bored &Stroked, Folks,
On the seat bases, The seat frames (wood) will not raise the springs as designed. But If needed I could raise the springs with another piece of wood of similar thickness too. Wouldn't be period correct, but could be a option that would be totally hidden in the seat. Thanks! I need to get working on those frames soon Like NOW!

That wrecker is very nice! Looks like same colors or close to what mine is also. A lot less rust then my old crusty rig! Thanks for the pictures to keep me motivated too. My friend has a AA wrecker, frame I think??

Do I need another truck Heck NO. I dont really need this one! But I saw a very nice display today that would trip my trigger and more! Will get some pictures up soon. Hint a Ford on a Ford!

OK I pulled a good one today. Took the carb apart and it looks pretty good inside. Meaning I have seen worse! But forgot to take pictures of how the small torsion spring on the float pivot rod was in place. I believe it provides slight down pressure on the float, to move it away from the needle valve? If any one has a picture of this small delicate torsion spring install they want to share, it would sure help on the install.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 07-03-2021 at 07:04 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:07 PM   #205
Bob C

Check out the third picture on Vince's site. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/bcarbassembly.htm
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:33 PM   #206
GB SISSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Sugarmaker, I am loving this thread. As stated earlier I have had many, many old ford Big trucks. I have had only a couple of half tons and with all my years(49) in '28-'53 fords have never had a car. At 68 and working full time at my regular woodshop work I think I just might go for a car at some point. Everything is lighter and easier to find. But on the other hand I have all the parts lined up for a H six in a tonner wrecker. And don't even start on the tractors I have owned. Let's face it.... Tractors you can do the whole thing standing beside it and never upside down getting all that s#!+ falling into your eyes. You are one of the good ones. My wife rolls her eyes and uses terms like 'obsessed'..... Heck I just wanna get the thing running and done. Is that so wrong??????
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:36 AM   #207
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Check out the third picture on Vince's site. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/bcarbassembly.htm
Bob,
Well sir you just about made my day! Those drawings of the zeinith carb are just awesome. Having had drafting in high school, gone to tech school for drafting and design, and working as a designed on the drawing board and the CAD (Computer Aided Design) systems. Those go straight to my soft spot! Priceless drawings! Love the details of these drawings down to the shape of the arrow heads! Those carbs were designed with no extras and were simple!
The spring in question, I will go out and attempt to install it correctly! I was thinking it pushed the float down. But by design, it helps raise the float in the bowl.
This spring does not come in the rebuild kit.
Off to do some work at the tractor show grounds today, the 32 waits!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-04-2021, 05:42 AM   #208
sugarmaker

GB folks,
This is my typical rant about what ever I am doing, project wise in life. Part of my therapy I guess. I have had Ford trucks only for 50 years. This 32 seems to fit right in!
"Running and done!" Great line there GB! Yep thats the goal!
I have the same passion! I just have too many in line to do!
Promise I will try to get some pictures up tonight. Have to go play on tractors for a while.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-05-2021, 06:52 AM   #209
sugarmaker

Ford folks,
Zenith Carb refurb completed. Removed all the old brass nozzles and jets and replaced. Small spring set in position as described in drawings from Bob. Thanks for the support.
Off to do some work on the truck today. Many many moves to make in next few days.
Just a shot of the body prior to clean up and refurb. My phone went dead as I was ready to re assemble the carb. Maybe I will take it apart just to get some up date pics. I have many pictures, but cant seem to find the time to load. Hate to say but my mind is still way too active. ( I can envision another truck project!) Yes thats why we have dubbed my shop the Rehab Center. Most of the folks that come here have some issues, mainly with old rusty stuff!

As I clean up mating surfaces:

Have the fuel pump next on the list to work on.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 07-05-2021 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #210
DavidG

Chris,

Make sure that there is no excess wear in the throttle shaft as that will adversely affect the performance of the carburetor. Also make sure that the tube protruding from the top of the carburetor is not loose as it also is important to the function of the carburetor.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:49 PM   #211
sugarmaker

David,
I will check those items
Appreciate the hints on the carb.
The fuel pump is refurbed.
Pulled the hood, rad she'll, and radiator this afternoon.
Wednesday John S. will come over and we plan to remove the head and pan.
The area inside the valve cover was very crusty! Looks like valves in cylinder 1 are stuck.
Have tires to get mounted tomorrow.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #212
GB SISSON

Your last picture makes the carb look like a small toilet for hamsters. So funny the float/shutoff valve thing that both use has always struck me as one of the simplest and most effective devices that man has created. It is totally regulated by demand and does not require external power. Just to be sure.... Your carb is a beautiful thing, ain't no toilet.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:15 AM   #213
sugarmaker

Gary, Folks,
Starting to put you guys into my memory bank as how your write and your styles. Sounds maybe wierd, but I have made some very good friends from these forums, From maple syrup to Cub Cadets to Allis Chalmers, to Ford trucks!
I like the mini toilet for the hamster. I usually try to put something next to the unit for scale.
My phone is dying often. I am now way behind on getting pictures to you folks, Have been busy and will get busier for rest of the summer. We have a big show July 16, 17, 18th in Sagertown PA. Pioneer Steam and Gas Engine show! Would love to see folks from the Barn there too. Ford is the Feature tractor. I may have my 32 there for display??

Plan is to pull the head and pan tomorrow and do a review. I did get the valve cover off and was not please with the crud in there.
stuck vales on number 1 not number 4.

Getting pictures downloaded, reduced sized stored and ready. Taks me about 2 hours for 150 pictures I took over the last few day. Dont worry I wont post all of them! Really I wont. Tractor shows, Steam show track rebuild, Grandson, and the 32.

Gary likes this carb:

So I have done more Marvel Schelber carbs on Allis tractors. I am not a big fan of the Zenith. Friend John S loves the Tillotson carbs. What are you opinions? In this case I don't have a Tillotson so we rebuild what we have and hope it works fine.

AC Fuel pump, So is this a replacement or original?

Question there were a stack of the diaphragms in the pump. maybe 5-6 layers? I got one in my rebuild kit. This sound correct??
Sorry a little messy here:

I didn't mean too but broke this hose from the gas line to the fuel pump. I think David said it may not be correct any way. Question is: The end going into the pump looks to be a special shape?? for the seal/ fit to the inside of the pump? Can I get a temp hose from NAPA to work? Any suggestions. Havent tried to get a short hose yet. And am a ways from being ready. But this actually may be the item to complete the fuel circuit.

random shots:

new items from kit going back in the fuel pump:

tiny little "C" clips to hold the cross shaft in place. shaft was removed and new return spring installed for the rebuild kit.

I chose to use the old screws for the case and the old acorn nut on the top. Just didnt thik it would look right with the bling under the hood!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-06-2021, 06:39 AM   #214
sugarmaker

Folks,
Ok trying to get you up to speed, here in the Rehab Center!

Some random shots of where I am this morning. Got up at 5:30 to get this picture thing started. Just something I seem to have to do to make my work complete. Maybe I didn't mention but one of the fundamental goals for folks entering the "Rehab Center" is to have them: ( A basic 5 step program)
1. start projects that have been lingering,
2. build something,
3. rebuild something,
4. spend massive amounts of money doing the above.
5. Repeat!

If this happens then I have done my job and they have done well!

Valve cover off.

This was after clean up. It was mr yuck in there just loose scaly soft rusty material. Good to get that out would not be good going into oil pan.

Did you know you get bonus point if the picture has a can of Blaster in it?

Rad does not leak but may take it to a shop for cleaning. Has loose upper side piece at top Solder came apart.

Had a heck of a time getting the spring loaded bolts out of the rad supports. Finally took the shell off and it was much easier. They gave me a run for a few minutes! Wife found me sleeping under the 32. How embarrassing. But you do get extra bonus points if you get a nap on the creeper!
Oh Yea hoses are junk! No surprise here.

loosen head nuts, then drained the rad. Yea thats how we roll!

What a little cutie!

OK now we are taking! I can see why folks have been attracted to these as hot rods too. I mean this era not this truck, I can picture myself 70 years ago working on one of these!

I may remove the Guide lights just for safety reasons while working in there too.

Enough for now you guys can see where I am at. Not sure where we are going?
Comments, suggestions, concerns, I always welcome your comments!
Hope things are good in Ford land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 07-06-2021 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:53 AM   #215
DavidG

Chris,

The single layer synthetic rubber diaphragm is correct for the pump for use with today's gasoline. AC was one of two originals suppliers of fuel pumps to Ford for the '32s.

Please refer back to the photo I posted in #147 in this thread for examples of the original inlet and outlet hose/tubing for the fuel pump. The fittings are composed of a threaded tube nut and a ferrule soldered to the ends of the tubing, neither of which are special. Michael Driskell (Third Gen Automotive, 35fordtn here on the barn) makes the correct pump to carburetor tubing with the correct fittings and may have a NOS flex hose/tube combination for the inlet to the fuel pump.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:05 AM   #216
DavidG

A few more observations from your latest set of engine compartment photos are: the hood lacing on the radiator shell is long gone which means that you metal to metal contact between the front of the hood and the radiator shell and your wiring looks to be something of a mess. You can obtain an excellent reproduction of the original engine compartment wiring harness from Rhode Island Wiring. They also offer the correct lighting/horn wiring harness as well should it require replacement for safety and dependability. (On second viewing, the lighting wiring is in bad shape. I also noticed that the cylinder head has been replaced somewhere along the way.)

IMO, those headlamps have to go, not just temporarily.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:09 AM   #217
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
A few more observations from your latest set of engine compartment photos are: the hood lacing on the radiator shell is long gone which means that you metal to metal contact between the front of the hood and the radiator shell and your wiring looks to be something of a mess. You can obtain an excellent reproduction of the original engine compartment wiring harness from Rhode Island Wiring. They also offer the correct lighting/horn wiring harness as well should it require replacement for safety and dependability. (On second viewing, the lighting wiring is in bad shape. I also noticed that the cylinder head has been replaced somewhere along the way.)

IMO, those headlamps have to go, not just temporarily.

I've got no problem with the headlights but then I'm not a total everything original guy. Anyway, it you do decide to go back to original the headlights you have are worth $$ to a hot rod guy.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #218
Lawson Cox

Beautiful truck. Great find. Get it running and driving safely, give it a bath and drive the wheels off of it. I wish it were mine.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #219
Floyd

No bling is the order of the day. Good goal. Another fun fact is that "lowly looking "fuel pump ,although not '32 specific, is another high value item (really). Don't get talked out of it by the guy who says it is wrong 'cause the fuel line comes in from the wrong side so he will help you out by taking it off your hands.
Excellent work! Engine room looks like you have done nothing. Hopefully when done and everything works perfect (or better), engine room will look the same.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:20 PM   #220
Ed in Maine

The paint on the cab looks like it could be original Washington Blue. This is a fantastic find. I should think you should keep the patina as is and just do a mechanical and safety update with new tires. Maybe repaint the rims. Don't over restore it. This truck redefines the term "a good clean original"! Good luck with your project, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote