Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #181
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

David,
Dang was hoping for some Ford transition year improvements! Like the balanced crank shaft. Thanks for the warning. My plan is to have this opened to do a review. But I do know how this slippery slope goes on these projects! You pull the engine and then will be working on the tail lights!
Oil pump, yes understand! I did not do that on a Allis engine and had to pull it again and go through it.
My friend John said he would come and help remove the "B" engine. I will evaluate the transmission removal combo. Since he is a Model A guru that should help a bunch too. Not sure how the frame and commercial configuration is compared to a car??

Used a dremel and sanding sleeves to remove the slight ridge in the axle where the old worn out seal had worn into it. Better that what it was smoothed out. I did price a speedia sleeve. it was about $50. I have install them before, this one would be a challenge because it is at the back end of the shaft near the base.

I got the seals installed in the rear inner drums, after packing the bearings.
The red is the seal. Filled the spring side with grease then used my all-thread contraption with a set of plates and spacers to pull the seals into the home position. Crude but effective!
Bearings in, ready for the seal. Thease are 4 inch o.d. 2.875 i.d. x .40 inches thick, from Snyder's

Seal started:

The set up for holding the drum.

Seal tucked in with snap ring in position:

Drivers side done. Also completed the Passengers side. Just will need to do final brake tuning.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #182
DavidG

Chris,

One of the advantages of a '32 BB over the '33-'34 versions is the high degree of commonality they share with the passenger cars and commercial vehicles starting with the cab, firewall, hood, radiator shell, radiator, and your left front fender, etc.

Of course the chassis is unique, but the components involved in removing the engine and transmission are similar, just larger. The four-cylinder engine/transmission assembly is a tight squeeze exiting and entering the engine compartment. Hopefully you have one of the attachments for your chain fall that permits you to vary the angle of that which you are lifting as that makes the job a lot easier. The crank pulley is cast iron and far from chip proof so be extra careful when clearing the upside-down U-bolts on top of the highest point of the front cross member which retain the front spring beneath.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:57 PM   #183
sugarmaker

David,
Yes I do have a engine leveler too. Will watch the pulley. Thanks for the heads up on that.
The next few days I am going to try to get the rims ready for tires. Have decided to clean the inside portion and paint with Rustoelum 2X flat black primer. Recommended by John the "A" guy. Sounds good to me, so picked up 4 cans of that today at Wally world.
No work on the 32 this p.m. as I helped shock barley at our club grounds. then hauled a Allis D17 to the daughters for her to use for brush hoging work on her farm.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #184
Gary in La.

It's been a long time since I saw a working grain binder. Not exactly pleasant memories.It was my job growing up to grease and oil, install the canvas aprons , load the binder twine and thread the needle. As to shocking that was an all day job in the field, hot sweaty & itchey. Ah, the good old days. Really like your truck.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:27 AM   #185
sugarmaker

Folk,
Laptop is down. Limited usage on my phone.
4 wheels are cleaned and painted. Have appointment next Tuesday to get tires installed on rims.
Rain today.
Contracted with upholstery guy, Dave to do the three piece seat.

Need pictures of your 32 truck back seat fit in! New Snyder springs fit just under the wooden band below the window. Old springs are 2 inches taller? Like the base they my not be original to truck???
Picked a color for material. It's a dark blue almost black called tuxedo blue. Grandson Devin helped pick it out! Matches the color of the exterior nicely. Could have done black but this caught my eye.
Have to work on attachment brackets for the seat back. Wait let me ask does your 32 seat back fasten to the wood under the window??
I do need to work on the wood for the seat bases too. Will build two sets. Should have it figured out by then.
Pictures will be lagging due to computer issues, sorry.
Hope things are good in Ford land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-30-2021, 07:20 AM   #186
DavidG

Chris,

Judging from your earlier photos the seat back was replaced, likely when the bottom cushions were replaced. It appears to be about 2" too high, which is consistent with your comparison with the springs from Snyder's. You can see part of one of the three upper seat back retaining brackets in the photo below. There's three different brackets that catch the bottom edge of the spring that attach to the three wood uprights behind the springs. I'll take a photo of both brackets later today; they are easy to make if missing.

I've added another photo showing one of the original lower seat back retaining bracket in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closed cab seat back.jpg (74.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg closed cab lower seat back retainiing bracket.jpg (52.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 06-30-2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #187
sugarmaker

David, folks,
Exactly why I came here. Great information in a timely manner to keep me moving. Ok I had the wrong seats in the truck! Makes perfect sense. I have call into Chris at Snyder's but David have provided details an pictures confirming that both the back and bottom were wrong. Makes me glad a bought all three new from the seat spring experts at Snyder's! Ok I have the bottom brackets in place. Ok I will rework the upper ones to fit the wood and the seat springs and get them attached to the seat springs. Sorry about my lack of pictures right now.
May work on the seats a little today.
My upholstery guy ask if the trucks had head liners or cardboard around the rear window??
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-30-2021, 11:30 AM   #188
Early Ford Junkie

What a great find, I would be excited too. Have fun i will enjoy following this one
Early Ford Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:37 PM   #189
DavidG

Chris,

The original interior was bare of headliner and all other cab upholstery beyond the seats, cowl trim panels, and wind lacing around the doors.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #190
sugarmaker

David, folks,
Thank you. I had that feeling that it was spartan in the cab!
One more wheel to clean and prime.
Had a very good phone call with Chris from Snyder's today. He is going to build me some custom springs for the truck that will be thinner giving me a couple inches of leg room, and head room too. Plan to exchange mine wit h the new set Friday. Awesome. The cab is pretty tight, so any extra room should be very good!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #191
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Ford Junkie View Post
What a great find, I would be excited too. Have fun i will enjoy following this one
Thanks! I am learning as fast as I cān. Trying to make the thread interesting. I go off in weeds often. Keep me on track!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #192
flatford8

“ but I think a tire in the hand is better than two on the internet! ”.......something very prophetic in this statement.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:18 PM   #193
sugarmaker

Mark, Folks,
Just a brief update:
Worked the wheels in the yard do to the mess made getting the crust off them:
It was shady and had a cool breeze too.

After clean up I found the garbage can lid was a prefect fit for a mask.

The lock ring:

Springs:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #194
totto

Chris:

Looking good; I sand blasted my wheels on '37 1 1/2 ton and painted gloss black (spray can). Bought tires from Coker, 6:50 x 20 and mounted myself( used chain around when inflating and was careful with the splint rim). Used plywood for floor in cab. Made/cut out floor mat out of rubber I got from Lebaron Bonney(before they went belly up) and got "kick panels" from them as well. There was a "map" pouch on passenger side(made out of metal that Macks sell out of Moberly,MO.

Henry
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:02 PM   #195
sugarmaker

Henry, Folks,
Thank you for the tips. I had to resist the urge to clean and paint the entire wheel! That what I usually do when putting on new rubber on anything around here. 7 rims and lock rings ready,

I had help in the shop tonight! Cooper (great grandson) Thought the 32 was pretty nice!

Had a chance to clean the radiator cap. Yep it is a EATON!

Filled rad with water took about a gallon to top it off. Dont see any leaks

Drained the oil in the engine. Well there was sludge at the drain, that I had to poke through.
Got it drained and filled the crankcase with kerosene for a day or so.

Drained the gas tank, will look at the shut off it was plugged solid. Had about 2 gallons of very clear liquid in the gas tank that that smelled like kerosene? This may have help preserve the inside bottom of the tank???

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 07-03-2021 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:23 PM   #196
Tinker

Great stuff!

Only thing I can add is I agree with DavidG on Synders. Good group.

Really enjoying the updates!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #197
sugarmaker

Tinker,
Thanks! Will pickup the new custom seat springs tomorrow from Snyder's.
Here is the material color being ordered for the seats, Tuxedo Blue color:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #198
sugarmaker

Folks,
We swung by Snyders again today. Met with Don Snyder and Chris the seat guy! Bought a gasket kit for the engine, rebuild kit for the zenith carb, rebuild kit for the fuel pump, and repro fuel shut off for gas tank bottom. If those items and some time and elbow grease I may be able to get fuel to the engine. And 3 quarts of 600 wt lube for the transmission.
Exchanged the spring seat bases and the seat back for reduced thickness units! Very quick turn around on these for my truck project! A tip of the hat to Chris at Snyder's, I gave each of them a pint of our Maple Syrup for their efforts!
Thanks for checking in on me!

Tinker ,
Forgot to mention I have the floor board and the metal cover around the levers and shifter.
Also the glove box is intact and is currently holding the insurance I.D.card!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 07-02-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #199
sugarmaker

Ford folks,
Just hanging out and listening to old 60's music which is what I grew up on! Kenny Rodgers What condition my condition is in! Also The band Cripple Creek, and Lovin Spoonful, what memories flash back form those late 60's songs! My 32 was resting in storage waiting to be set free 50 years later!

Our triple 'D' thread has reached the magic number of 8266 views. WOW! My wife's birthday is 8-26. I watch numbers! The Deuce serial number missed having her numbers by just one. Close enough for me. I have bought tractors that have her numbers in the casting codes. Ok I am weird! Sorry to digress. Cheryl and I celebrate 50 years this December. Just amazing!

Long day, heading out to check on the 32 and try those seat springs from Snyders custom made for this some how special, magic, truck! Just a old truck! Met so many new friends already. Its doing its job!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-03-2021, 05:57 AM   #200
sugarmaker

Folks,
Son Adam sent the dice to me!

The springs are different for sure. I think with some minor adjustments to placement and attachment for the seat back they will be great. And they should provide additional leg room in the cab for me too!
May adjust the seat base up or the back down just a little to close the gap? Will talk to my upholstery guy (Dave) before I do to much moving of things. Not sure how much material (padding) is added?

About 1.5 inches of gap at this time

The pieces of plywood just show the gap.

Off to try to clean up that zenith carb.
Thanks for checking on me! Hope things are good in Ford land too.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets