Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #101
4tl8ford

Default Re: Hey Fellas... Some Clarification...

Hey Ryan - Why are you letting all the Chevy talk to go on in the Early V8 Fourm - This is still the Ford Barn isn't it?
1952 Ford F2 (Driver)
1948 Ford F1 Panel (Frame off resto-rod)
1946 Ford Coupe (Basket case)
4tl8ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #102
Flatty Merc

Hello, just joined the Ford Barn as of last night and am looking forward to some quality Ford Fellowship, I DIG ALL FORDS !! especially ones that are all Ford, Here's my project; after waiting patiently in the shed for 20 years my '41 p/u is on the burner, about the same time I purchased a fresh Merc. flatty 8CM complete with OD tranny, pondered about the tranny and banjo rear for some time and decided to adapt a Mustang T 5 and connect it to an 8.8 rear with leafs from a Ranger,( actually searching for imfo on the T 5 adaption is how I found the Ford Barn ), the '41 is all Henry steel and will remain unmolested, well maybe some smoothy here and there but nothing radical, also may put the front in the air gasser style for awhile or lower it with real reversed wheels as we did in the 60's. With this said I'm hoping the '41 and I can hang out in the Ford Barn or perhaps be directed to other sites more suitable , thanks, Flatty Merc
Flatty Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #103
bwood53

From a newbie... always been into cars. Fords in particular. owned a ford ranger pu. 68 tbird w 429 now a 53 f100 w what I thought was orig flathead w merc heads. Turns out from what I've learned in this barn and from orig seller its a53 merc flathead. Merc in ford? Is this OK? Should I go to hamb? Ol' ron...are u on hamb. Get a good vibe from you. Love your help and input.

I thought the barn etc was to further to further the hobby and educate us youngns'. Please help me. Just want to build a good reliable truck to enjoy w good people and my family.
bwood53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #104
4tl8ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwood53 View Post
From a newbie... always been into cars. Fords in particular. owned a ford ranger pu. 68 tbird w 429 now a 53 f100 w what I thought was orig flathead w merc heads. Turns out from what I've learned in this barn and from orig seller its a53 merc flathead. Merc in ford? Is this OK? Should I go to hamb? Ol' ron...are u on hamb. Get a good vibe from you. Love your help and input.

I thought the barn etc was to further to further the hobby and educate us youngns'. Please help me. Just want to build a good reliable truck to enjoy w good people and my family.
That Merc Flatmotor could be hazardous to your health - If you are East of the Mississippi I am the designated certified receiver of such dangerous materials - All you have to do is crate it up and ship it to the address that I supply - This service is supplied free of charge in the interest of the Old Flatmotor Community
1952 Ford F2 (Driver)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #105
mfrk
BANNED

Hey if someone doesnt like a particular item MOVE ON to something you like I enjoy the mix of everything & keep it coming
mfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #106
Russ B

I frequent both Ford Barn and HAMB. Both boards remain mostly drama free due to the owner and moderators, thank you. I just do not post stuff on all the modifications I am making on my Model A on the Model A forum, they belong on HAMB. I have gotten great help from Ford Barn'ers on body restoration issues, but have not upset folks by stressing or pointing out the traditional rod aspects of my A build.

It is not hard to follow the rules set by the owner of a board. It is just simple respect.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:30 AM   #107
tiger.1000

Well, I've ready some old blarney before but never so much as this. You Yankees really do get hot under the collar about matters that are of little significance. I suspect that we UK members are outnumbered by you guys across the pond by maybe 5000 to 1....

This, in my opinion is a "real storm in a teacup"....if it wasn't for the "rodders" of this world there's a good chance that a good number of the parts suppliers for Ford parts would either go under or wouldn't be in existence in the first place and without them
we'd really be stuffed !

We're all different. Whether it's bog-standard as Henry made it or the biggest pushrod blown V8 that's known to man....SO WHAT?

Get on with it boys and have fun !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #108
4tl8ford

Go here - http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/ - look at the choice of forums - What don't you understand?
1952 Ford F2 (Driver)
Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #109
'41 Pickup Rob

Default New Member

Recently purchased a '41 1/2 Ton Pickup and look forward to enjoying the Ford Barn experience!
'41 Pickup Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #110
Bubsyouruncle

Talking Re: Hey Fellas... Some Clarification...

Sooo, I'm a newbie. But I have possibly had my old Ford longer than most of the folks on this website. 1952.

My take: if you are trying to keep an old girl on the road then "minor mods", like Ford for Ford engine swaps or tranny changes, or juicers instead of hoping they work brakes fit in.

But hemis and splitting the wishbone and chop and channel, although honorable and historic and, really cool, according to Stroker McGurk, (come on back, old guys!) belong elsewhere.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #111
Bubsyouruncle

Wow

My two cents

Don't mess with the body.

Don't mess with the frame.

Play games with the engine and transmission.

Brakes are important.

Cool beans
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #112
Bruce in southern OH

Ryan, found the post about the Drum Dokter has been Moved/removed, question why this was done? Showing what I have picked up for rear drum brake work on our cars. See where several talk about babies, grandchildren, sickness, etc., do not know who or why a post about V8 related equipment was removed, Happy New Year.
( several using discussion forum for their business, car hauling and Ken Ct.)
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #113
Marv

I think a lot of these posts asking about what 8" or 9 ' to use in an old Ford etc, are people just having fun seeing what old timer they can stir up. I would not pay any attention to it and just let it go.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #114
whizzernick

I just went to V-8 site
http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/index.cfm

Not to hot***** almost a waste of time

I see people on this sit talking about kicking someone off this site

I am a new member and ask can you be kicked off site. ????

How is that done?????

I like this site as you get answers to smart questions and also answers to

dumb ones.

My opinion for what its worth . lets all kiss and make up
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #115
Charlville

I use both the Barn and H.A.M.B and they are both great. Also please remember in these days where everything costs £/$/(enter your currency here) these excellent resources are FREE, thanks to Ryan et al. So take it for what it is, take a breath or even count to 10 at times...
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #116
josh1331

They call that a ROD and it leaves the Original Ford era but good luck on the mods
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #117
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I love reading about all you fellows. It takes all you to keep this forum going. When I was a boy you never seen a 74 year old man playing with old cars. They walk with a cane and no teeth, bald headed sitting in a rocking chair smoking a pipe. I guess we have change that a bit. So keep up the good work and have fun!
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #118
32sedan

Wow! This thread has been going for awhile. I imagine the 'original versus hotrod' topic won't stop for a long time to come. I have a 32 Fordor that my grandfather bought brand new. He actually drove it off the assembly line. It's been garaged its whole life and it looks like it. There's not even a tear in the original upholstery. Obviously, I didn't restore this car. I just drive it. But I've done a few others. For example, I've done Ts in the past and right now I'm working on a 55 F100. When I do an old vehicle, I always want original if I can do it. I personally think a car should only be rodded when it can't be put back 'right'. Having said that, I do think there are mods that are appropriate - such as those folks who modify a car like the old-timers would have done in the 40s and 50s (when they were the greaser gearhead pioneers). Really, those old greasers were kind of the origination for all of us gearheads. No one was rebuilding cars before they started doing it. Plus, there are a lot of common things between rods and originals - body parts, etc. I guess the only time I would be concerned about mixing the two styles in a forum is if you come to a site for info on your original and find that the site is taken over by rodders. I don't want to have to sift thru all of the postings to find what I need for my old gal. But I don't really see that happening - yet. Maybe the moderator is just thinking it's a slippery slope to let them in.

I got to thinking about why people are so passionate about this issue (and, boy are we!). For me, I almost feel like I have an obligation to the future. I suspect my car will be toodling down the road long after I am gone. I would want future folks to see what the distant past was really about. Rods, for the most part, are about the here and now. Originals take us back further. As time and rust marches on, there will be fewer and fewer cars that can be put back original and there will necessarily be more rods simply because that will be what people can do with the limited originals that will exist in the future. What a dismal time that will be!

Anyway, I think I can learn from anyone. When you're as ignorant as me, the only direction is up. :-)

Happy Fording to all of you. Whether you're a rodder or a purist, there is one thing we all know - Fords are Prettier!!
32sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #119
32sedan

Wow! This thread has been going for awhile. I imagine the 'original versus hotrod' topic won't stop for a long time to come. I have a 32 Fordor that my grandfather bought brand new. He actually drove it off the assembly line. It's been garaged its whole life and it looks like it. There's not even a tear in the original upholstery. Obviously, I didn't restore this car. I just drive it. But I've done a few others. For example, I've done Ts in the past and right now I'm working on a 55 F100. When I do an old vehicle, I always want original if I can do it. I personally think a car should only be rodded when it can't be put back 'right'. Having said that, I do think there are mods that are appropriate - such as those folks who modify a car like the old-timers would have done in the 40s and 50s (when they were the greaser gearhead pioneers). Really, those old greasers were kind of the origination for all of us gearheads. No one was rebuilding cars before they started doing it. Plus, there are a lot of common things between rods and originals - body parts, etc. I guess the only time I would be concerned about mixing the two styles in a forum is if you come to a site for info on your original and find that the site is taken over by rodders. I don't want to have to sift thru all of the postings to find what I need for my old gal. But I don't really see that happening - yet. Maybe the moderator is just thinking it's a slippery slope to let them in.

I got to thinking about why people are so passionate about this issue (and, boy are we!). For me, I almost feel like I have an obligation to the future. I suspect my car will be toodling down the road long after I am gone. I would want future folks to see what the distant past was really about. Rods, for the most part, are about the here and now. Originals take us back further. As time and rust marches on, there will be fewer and fewer cars that can be put back original and there will necessarily be more rods simply because that will be what people can do with the limited originals that will exist in the future. What a dismal time that will be!

Anyway, I think I can learn from anyone. When you're as ignorant as me, the only direction is up. :-)

Happy Fording to all of you. Whether you're a rodder or a purist, there is one thing we all know - Fords are Prettier!!
32sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #120
fordman

I for the last few days have not been able to send replies. before that I could send replies with pics. I have received a request for more info but it won't go. where can I go for more to learn?

fordman
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote