Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Exclamation Hey Fellas... Some Clarification...

I've gotten a bunch of private messages as of late about this and thought I had better speak up.

Quote:
Question: Is the Ford Barn about stock/restored early Fords?

Answer: YES!

Question: Is the Ford Barn about hot rodded or customized early Fords?

Answer: No... That's not our focus on The Ford Barn. The Jalopy Journal focuses on that stuff.
All that said, I understand there is some overlap. A great example is a guy with a '40 coupe that he likes to drive quite a bit. For drivability, he might stick a dual carb intake and maybe even some heads on his mill. Advice on such modifications is, of course, welcomed.

I realize (and I'm sure you guys do as well) that there is no broad line of separation between hot rodded and stock early Fords. This would be easy if there was... But it's important to remember that the Ford Barn focuses on the stock restorations while The Jalopy Journal focuses on hot rods and customs. Sure, we will have some "sidebars" on each site covering more bases, but the general premises remains.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
BILL WZOREK

Default Re: Hey Fellas... Some Clarification...

Ryan:
Why on earth Do people think these sites.Have to be so cut and dry. Either / OR.
Life is not that way.This Hobby should be fun not stress a the person out if He or she offending some one With the Question the would like a answer to.
THANKS BILL WZOREK
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
345 DeSoto

Does this mean I'm going to get kicked out of the "Barn"?...
Old 12-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Lanny

It's been said that this site would remain very close to what was allowed on the OLD FordBarn.
I have seen practiclly NOTHING posted here so far that would have been taboo on the Old Barn, so why are a few people getting their undies in a bunch.
You will loose alot of people, with alot of knowledge, and helpfull advice to other members, and that won't do anyone any good !!!!!
If it ain't broke, DON"T FIX IT.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Ray Parson

cant we all just get along
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
George/Maine

This is not about putting a 302 ford engine in a 1940 Ford.
This is about someone with personal problems,and want to make some smoke on other.My car is NOT stock and its about time i go to the HAMB.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Ryan
Administrator

Drama sucks... There is never a "right" side in my opinion. Level head folks don't typically get into internet arguments. As such, just report any drama and I'll take care of it.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
CWPASADENA

As I understand it, there is not a problem discussing juce brakes on a '34 or a 59 AB engine in a '38. I think that is still in keeping with the original cars that are being driven.

HOWEVER, I, for one, have NO INTEREST in a discussion on the availability of engine adaptors to install a Small block Ford in a Early V-8 Car and such stuff. That definately does not belong on this Forum.

Again, Just My Opinion!

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
Flathead

Ryan, Thanks for all that you do, I can see that it not easy. This is a nice place to visit.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

Not sure what brought this on. I thought everything was running along pretty smooth.
Just remember "Pobodys nerfect".
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Not sure what brought this on. I thought everything was running along pretty smooth.
Just remember "Pobodys nerfect".
Well said, Ron!!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
joe plumber

Guess I will see you guys ,it's been fun .Nothing stock about my Truck .Have a merry one .I guess I got in the wrong place to start off with.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #13
Ol' Ron

Well my truck isn't stock either. Iy started life as a KB1 international. Engine went bad so I put a 51 Merc engine and trans /rear end. it stayed this way for 5 or6 years untill the rods started singing. Next came a SBC 350/350. That lasted another 5 or 6 years, got tired and I decided to use it as a Flathead test platform, gave it to my grand son and this summer we put a new "K" member and a 42 front suspension.
Engine is a 280ci Flathead EAB heads and cam. this will be a test truck for ecinomy.
I will pass along everything I learn so youse guys can improve your rides
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #14
32Gnu

Joe,

I hate to hear that you are leaving as you have helped me out on a couple of my posts.. I dont think the intent is to keeep someone off of here that has a modified vehicle, even if it does have a sbf/sbc, but to take that part of it somewhere else..

I think there is a lot of valuable information on body, suspension, frame and engines here. Just have to keep each piece in mind as you post..

If you put late model shocks on your car are you going to booted? I doubt it..

I like this site a lot, check on it daily.. Am I wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
Guess I will see you guys ,it's been fun .Nothing stock about my Truck .Have a merry one .I guess I got in the wrong place to start off with.
32Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
Tinker

Geez and I was reluctant to post about my car because it's a 28' fenderless with a 29' engine! My others are 95% stockers and would like to someday have a nice T or an A stock ford.

Hate to see anyone gone and "I" would say it's not about what you own but what gets posted. Many people here are hambers' too. I think they will testify that there is a lot of great early ford guys over there, but you have to wade through the rest of the stuff to find anything on topic. Unlike here. So join both!

Enjoy the barn and the people here. Thanks you guys and you too ryan.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
redfor40

you have to rember it is all free and better then most newspapers
redfor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #17
31chevy

Opinions are like you know what, everybody has one. So here is mine, I am fairly new at the Barn and am restoring 34 pickup to 98% original because I promised the person that gave it to me I would. That said I would hate to see any of you not continue to use the Barn it has been very helpful to me. I have restored two other frame off vehicles,31 Chevy original & 48 DeSoto which I street rodded but kept the body original on the outside. I can drive the DeSoto any where easily, but not the 31 as all of you know the old cars don't handle very good at todays speeds. My pet peeve is when someone chops & channels which ruins, in my opinion the original look that the builder intended. I'm sure I have offended someone out there,if so I apologize. You won't find a site as good as this one for Chevies & Mopar.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Hate to see anyone gone and "I" would say it's not about what you own but what gets posted.
^ This sums it up perfectly ^
I don't even own a Ford but I enjoy this site and most of the people so in my opinion I belong. I do know what I can post here and what I can post on the HAMB. It's not rocket science, just stop and pause for a moment before hitting the submit button and reflect on whether what you just wrote is an asset to the FORD Barn or not.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #19
Karl Wescott

First, Ryan and all the moderators, THANK YOU for doing a great job.

IMHO the lines between restoration/hot rod/street rod/custom are easily blurred. The mechanical issues are seem to be defined for the Ford Barn as "stock" or "period modifications", ie heads, juice brakes, hot water heaters, etc. This is a workable definition. Body issues are often common to all genre's. What fender fits a particular year frame/body does not matter if the car will have an original or late model motor.

A philosophy I have evolved is it is very important for the hot rodder to understand what the "original" is so any modifications are both that, a modification, and have a purpose. Without a baseline of "original" efforts become simply modernistic retro art. I use some of Boyd's later "1932" creations as an example... art: yes, beauty: yes, 1932: ... no.

Anyway regardless of anyone who may want to stretch the rules or complain, Ryan and helpers and those who use the Ford Barn have done a great job in keeping the forum civil and informative.

Thanks
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #20
345 DeSoto

What LADYHOTRODCRUISER (in #19) said...