Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #21
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Manners... A new rule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I feel like I can relate to you as an elementary educator more than I should be able too... We should compare notes!
Referring to Tim Ayer's comment in post #6, and Ryan's reaction, it appears that a number of folks here are on about the same level as grade school kids! 'Meet me out by the bike rack after school' that sort of thing.

Thank you sir for what you are doing.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:37 AM   #22
mtflat

It's been awhile since I've bothered you - thanks for keeping up a great forum Ryan!
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:45 AM   #23
Lawrie

Ryan ,thanks ,I don't see any of the drama,BUT ,Man I would be lost if this place wasn't here.and would not have met all the great folks when we visit the USA.
Thank you for looking after it and us.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #24
Bored&Stroked

There are always a few in every crowd - and in most companies. I'm always amazed at our ability to put up with them and usually for far too long. We spend more time trying to justify why they're here, than they do on thinking about what they say and how they say it.

No matter how smart you are, experienced or fortunate (to own a bunch of cool shit), if your a negative and vindictive person - you do more harm in the end than good. Be positive, be cool - or shut the heck up.

I say, flush em . . . and THANKS for doing so!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #25
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Boy, I hope I'm not on that list?? I know I sometime get frustrated with some of the questions, but I try to help those that are not familiar with some part of the engine or suspension. My biggest concern is safty. These old cars are not safe in today traffic. As long as you know this, fine. But traveling 70 mph down the interstate with the original brakes can be dangerous. AS old as I am, I've seen too many nice cars damaged by this. I my self lost a nice 36 Ford because I was going too fast with the stock brakes. I learned a lesson there. Just remember an "Accident" is an unplanned event.
Ron, your a good guy! i am a Journeymen Electrician and i tell my Apprentices there job is to ask questions and ask why! sometimes i get short with them . but then i relies that they are learning and don't know what or how. we can and do learn from this site! thanks

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #26
Fred A

There is some room for misunderstanding. Ryan PM'd me in reprimand for referring to a celebrity poster, from Waco Texas as Waco guy, not wacko. Correct spelling and grammar not considered. The reference I thought was a great tongue in cheek responding to being called every kind of SOB. A bit of a disappointment. Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #27
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
There is some room for misunderstanding. Ryan PM'd me in reprimand for referring to a celebrity poster, from Waco Texas as Waco guy, not wacko. Correct spelling and grammar not considered. The reference I thought was a great tongue in cheek responding to being called every kind of SOB. A bit of a disappointment. Fred A
I don't remember that at all... So I guess it was recent.

In any case, you know what makes online arguments such a big problem in general? People feel the need to "retaliate" to trolls that call them names. Ultimately, this is what the original poster wants... as it ends up in causing drama. To avoid this, if someone attacks you - don't respond. Instead, just press the "report" button. Problem solved.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #28
tubman

Ryan,

I'm glad you've clarified the expanded use of the "Report" button. Up to now, I thought it was just to alert the moderators about threads on "Eastern-European Diet Aids" and such that sometimes pop up in the middle of the night. I don't remember seeing this when I first joined, but I'm glad to see it now.

Tubman
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:21 AM   #29
flatford8

I like than plan...... keeps things civil...... now if we could just get some damn "Ford Barn" t-shirts !!!!........ sorry boss...... I had to...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #30
Russ/40

I agree, it does not take any more effort to be polite, in a disagreement. It gets frustrating though to hear of the subject problem incidents, and not knowing what actually happened because the offending posts have been deleted. Perhaps adding to the banned procedure you explained, the punishment of being on an available banned list, would be even more incentive to keep it civil.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #31
russcc

What ever you have done in the past has worked, as I can think of at least one former guy who we never see any more, except at swaps.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #32
qmdv

I have been off this forum for a while. Now I am back on the project so I am back. This forum has been so helpful. Thanks Ryan

Tim
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #33
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I have always enjoyed the forum. Never heard of any shooting or fist fights so far. We all would be lost without it. Me for sure. Is there going to be a t-shirt for Hershey this year. Would be nice. Maybe a cap would be better. I must be dreaming again
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #34
HOTRODPRIMER

Thanks Ryan. HRP

Last edited by HOTRODPRIMER; 09-13-2017 at 10:53 AM.
HOTRODPRIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #35
Bubsyouruncle

Once upon a time, when Truman was in the White House (and Ford was still building flatheads!), if you said something you had naught, the next guy took you up on it, right there. And it ended there.

Today, thanks to the anonymity and physical distance of the internet, we have to deal with wienies who wouldn't DARE make certain statements in front of the people they are denigrating.

Ryan - Thank you for being on top of it.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #36
FrankWest

Ryan,
Seems that people have become nicer on here over the last 6 months. Maybe your last post about manners did some good.
Thanks for your work holding this board together, It is one of the most useful things on the internet.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #37
Ric Dean

This is a great thread.
... My sing-song with friends & family especially my children is it cost nothing to be nice, and that has made all the difference.
Ric
Ric Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #38
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Ryan,
Seems that people have become nicer on here over the last 6 months. Maybe your last post about manners did some good.
Thanks for your work holding this board together, It is one of the most useful things on the internet.
It took some time, but we were able to get rid of the folks that weren't mature enough to express an opinion without bagging on someone else's. It was really that simple... and it was only a few users.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #39
ct1932ford

Over on the HAMB I have a circle of friends that at times we bust each others balls. It is all done in a fun guy kind of thing and we all know that it is just are way of being dumb guys! (as my wife would say) I hope it doesn't get misconstrued. We will be more careful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1750.jpg (70.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 02-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #40
fortyfords

Ryan, I love this forum and Thanks for all, I wish Chevy's had a good forum like this one. So far I have only read good things here.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote