Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2022, 10:38 AM   #21
Leadfoot4U

Default Re: Knowing left from right??

As much as I'd like to restore the Victoria to "As Henry Built It", I've unfortunately had my mind made up for me due to the reasonings already stated. Lack of parts, incorrect parts, lack of manufactures/tradesmen that could "make the part"....even if one were inclined to pay the 2X plus price for it.

I'm from Dayton, Ohio once known to be the tool and die capital of the world. Small tool and die shops were throughout this area to supply local companies like NCR, Frigidaire, Delco, Harrison Radiator, Fisher Body, Armco Steel, McCall's Printing with whatever they needed. These factories are completely gone, or just a shadow of what they once were. Along with them, the tool and die industry. Without skilled tradesmen or the machines to do the work, you'll not get that part made at any cost.

I'm saying the handicap placed on today's restorers are much more than 2X the expense and trouble than past restoration projects. If not impossible. It's easy to see why restorers head to the "dark side" by throwing out the mechanical brakes on original cars due to the inability to obtain simple things like correct shoe return springs, wheel studs, pedal return spring. Unlike just a few decades ago, NOS parts could be readily found, however those parts have all but disappeared now. Reproduced parts are made only if there's a profit in it, and quality is next to nonexistent on many in form or function.

Yes, you can buy your way onto the Concours Show Field and never need to know how to change oil. But, to have a DIY project is not as it was just a few years ago when correct parts were available and the only requirement was to pick the correct part number out of the parts manual.
Leadfoot4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #22
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot4U View Post
As much as I'd like to restore the Victoria to "As Henry Built It", I've unfortunately had my mind made up for me due to the reasonings already stated. Lack of parts, incorrect parts, lack of manufactures/tradesmen that could "make the part"....even if one were inclined to pay the 2X plus price for it.

I'm from Dayton, Ohio once known to be the tool and die capital of the world. Small tool and die shops were throughout this area to supply local companies like NCR, Frigidaire, Delco, Harrison Radiator, Fisher Body, Armco Steel, McCall's Printing with whatever they needed. These factories are completely gone, or just a shadow of what they once were. Along with them, the tool and die industry. Without skilled tradesmen or the machines to do the work, you'll not get that part made at any cost.

I'm saying the handicap placed on today's restorers are much more than 2X the expense and trouble than past restoration projects. If not impossible. It's easy to see why restorers head to the "dark side" by throwing out the mechanical brakes on original cars due to the inability to obtain simple things like correct shoe return springs, wheel studs, pedal return spring. Unlike just a few decades ago, NOS parts could be readily found, however those parts have all but disappeared now. Reproduced parts are made only if there's a profit in it, and quality is next to nonexistent on many in form or function.

Yes, you can buy your way onto the Concours Show Field and never need to know how to change oil. But, to have a DIY project is not as it was just a few years ago when correct parts were available and the only requirement was to pick the correct part number out of the parts manual.
I do agree that to restore a car to the very top levels is very difficult for a number of reasons, many of which you'd sited. In years to come, things will no doubt become even more difficult.
Still, that does not make changing the rules advisable. I'm not 100% certain that's kinda / sorta what you'd like to see. However, I have heard (more times than I care to recall) the argument you have at least in part put forward. That argument being "cost" and "difficulty".
One must keep in mind, each of us operates with different priorities and different levels of skills and abilities.
In the concourse world, those factors play large to the fact that there are truly very few #1 cars - TRUE #1 cars.
Bottom line in my opinion? It all comes down to priorities and abilities.

By the way, the 17 cars I'd restored to date? I personally do all of the work sans (example) chrome plating and engine machine work to name two. Many years ago, as a tool & die maker (prior to retiring) I'd done my own machine work as well.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:37 PM   #23
Leadfoot4U

Well, I'm just venting my frustrations on the lack of quality reproduction parts, or the slim pickings for NOS.

Thanks for the replies.
Leadfoot4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:11 PM   #24
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot4U View Post
Well, I'm just venting my frustrations on the lack of quality reproduction parts, or the slim pickings for NOS.

Thanks for the replies.
Oh yes... very frustrating indeed!