Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2022, 11:35 AM   #1
48superd

Default 1948 Tudor sedan window "bugs"

I have a 1948 Tudor sedan. The original glasses were replaced many years ago and they don't have "bugs" on them. I am putting new glass in the car and would like to put "bugs" on the new glass. The windshield glasses still have the original "bugs" on them. Can someone tell me the location of the window "bugs" on the door glasses and the quarter windows.
48superd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:19 PM   #2
blucar

Default Re: 1948 Tudor sedan window "bugs"

I can't say with a degree of certainly, however, it has been my experience that the window glass date bugs are usually located adjacent to the door jambs, just above the window sill.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
slowforty

Dont forget to reverse the bug on the passenger side. Henry put them all in the same corner so they are reversed on one side. I have a friend who had a perfect restoration, who had new glass made and the glass guy put the bugs on in a readable position all around the car. He was not happy when i brought it to his attention.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:45 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
Dont forget to reverse the bug on the passenger side. Henry put them all in the same corner so they are reversed on one side. I have a friend who had a perfect restoration, who had new glass made and the glass guy put the bugs on in a readable position all around the car. He was not happy when i brought it to his attention.
Could blame it on the factory guy who was a little tipsy
Old 01-13-2022, 07:53 PM   #5
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Could blame it on the factory guy who was a little tipsy

No, you can't blame someone else for your own lack of research.

...And research doesn't mean ask the supplier what is correct. The supplier's job is to sell you the product you ask for.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:40 PM   #6
slowforty

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
No it was Henrys idea put the all in the same place
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:34 PM   #7
woodiewagon46

There is an excellent explanation about the "Bugs" in the 1941-1948 Book offered by the V-8 Club. I purchased the "Bug" kit from Third Generation and they worked perfectly. I would advise looking at an original '48 if possible for the locations. On my '46 doors the "Bugs" are located in the back, lower corners of the window glass, about an inch and a half in from the back edge and about and inch and a half up. As slow forty points out, the "Bugs" on one side of the car were reversed. On my '46 Station Wagon you can stand on the passenger side and read the script and info. If you stand on the drivers side everything is reversed, meaning if you could look thru the car from the passenger side you could read them clearly.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:31 PM   #8
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
No it was Henrys idea put the all in the same place
As with door locks only on the sidewalk side, it was the easiest and cheapest way to do it. Glass was cut and travelled down a conveyor table, all positioned similarly as they moved along the table. Bugs were applied to the assigned spot, which were readable from the sidewalk side of the car as installed. All glass being identically bugged, Street side glass was readable to the interior of the car.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
As with door locks only on the sidewalk side, it was the easiest and cheapest way to do it. Glass was cut and travelled down a conveyor table, all positioned similarly as they moved along the table. Bugs were applied to the assigned spot, which were readable from the sidewalk side of the car as installed. All glass being identically bugged, Street side glass was readable to the interior of the car.
You are correct about the manufacturing process of the glass with but a couple of exceptions. However, locks were on the right side only back then as it was illegal for folks to exit the vehicle into traffic. That restriction remans on the proverbial "books" throughout the nation to this day.
It is primarily enforced only when some dumba-- exits into traffic and their door is "crunched" by an oncoming vehicle.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:08 PM   #10
48superd

Thank you all for the excellent info. The 1941-48 Book has great info in it. Maybe this should be added to it.
Thanks again.
48superd is offline   Reply With Quote