Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2021, 08:22 PM   #41
McMimmcs

Default Re: Hagerty Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Ive had great success with AAA- and get to use it on every car I own as well as motorcycles, so dont see the point in double coverage.

I know many on here are not pleased with AAA.
best 130 bucks a year I spend.
I totally agree. If you don’t use it it’s worth the peace of mind.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:56 PM   #42
GerryAllen

I put 5000 miles a year on my Model A. The Hagerty Rep told me they did not have a policy for me, to look somewhere else. Hagerty is banking on you driving very few miles a year, in nice weather and probably on weekends. The odds are you won't be in an accident, they pay very few claims compared to most insurance companies.
Just my opinion
Gerry Birch Bay WA
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:52 PM   #43
Raaf

Gerry,

Who do you use or recommend as an alternative?

Thanks,

Raaf
Raaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 04:22 AM   #44
GerryAllen

Farmers Insurance, in our club we had an insurance appraiser who gave a talk one day about the different Companies. He had good things to say about Hagerty, apparently they pay out quickly and at the insured rate.
In my case, I use the car for work (name on door) and advertise "Old Fashion Service", they did not have a policy to cover my type of driving. I advertise in the spring, Sweet Pea is back on the road for another year, I look forward to all your smiles and waves. people love the car. My A has been such a blessing to me, I love the look and simplicity of it. The more I drive it the more dependable it becomes.
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 03:21 PM   #45
Raaf

Thank you Gerry.

I'm in the process of getting my '29 insured so this is helpful.

-- Raaf
Old 12-27-2021, 06:13 PM   #46
Shampipple

Hagerty is just a middleman. A salesman. If you look at your policy it’s likely underwritten by someone else like American Modern.

Why pay the middleman for his you tube shows, cushy office, and expensive ads.

Go thru American Modern yourself, or through Heacock classic.

Less restrictive. Great coverage. Less money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2021, 09:28 PM   #47
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shampipple View Post
Hagerty is just a middleman. A salesman. If you look at your policy it’s likely underwritten by someone else like American Modern.

Why pay the middleman for his you tube shows, cushy office, and expensive ads.

Go thru American Modern yourself, or through Heacock classic.

Less restrictive. Great coverage. Less money.
First off, some people really like the YouTube shows. I have no problem paying a little more to get those. Second, Hagerty is upfront about who underwrites their policies. And if you go to the websites of those underwriters, they don't sell separately, they direct you back to Hagerty to handle the policy writing. There's a significant difference between being an insurance broker, which is what you're talking about, and outsourcing the underwriting function.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #48
Redbird

B/s. If you don't like insurance, self insure and see how far that gets you in an accident! You get what you pay for. Price is not the only thing.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #49
Shampipple

Default Hagerty Insurance

Really. I can buy direct from American Modern or Heacock.

Hagerty was 15% higher than Heacock for the same policy, with less restrictions at Heacock.

I don’t mind the Hagerty YouTube shows. I just don’t want to pay for them. I really don’t have an issue with the company. I just like the option I went with years ago for the reasons stated. And I have had claims! All handled flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #50
Swingle

When I first looked at Hagerty Insurance, they wanted you to only drive for club events and parades. This I found funny, as it is the same company that is a sponsor of the Great Race, that involves driving cars across the country.

Last time I talked with them, they said they did not care so much about the mileage driven, but wanted to make sure the insured vehicle was not being used as a daily driver.

We put over 4,000 miles on one of our Model A's this year. Until they put a mileage tracker on it, will tell them I am only putting 500 miles a year on it.
Swingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:32 PM   #51
Keith True

My Hagerty policy in N.H. is underwritten by Essentia.(at least at the moment)in the past it has been underwritten by Encompass,and somebody else I can't remember. My friend has his old British cars insured by Heacock,he says his Heacock policy is underwritten by the Munich something or other.I've checked into them,their policy was almost identical to mine,but just a little more money.Different state laws mean different prices.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #52
TerryH

I had Hagerty for several years, then got concerned about my driving in my Model A and called them. I told them that every week, I drove to the grocery store and also the Post Office…..kind of a regular routine weekly. After we talked I was told that they preferred to insure cars that were not driven that way….repeatedly. If it was just once In awhile, that would be ok…..but doing a weekly routine was not what they wanted, and THEY suggested I look elsewhere. So I talked to AAA who were already handling our home and other car insurance, and they agreed to a policy with agreed value and the only limit was not using it for work…..they did not care where else I drove it or how often.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:56 PM   #53
Gene F

You guys are making me rethink my Hagerty policy. I'm sure I'll renew, but you can bet I'm gonna read that policy when it comes this time. I kinda hate to give up on the towing insurance they have though. Sounds like it's not the great company it was 20 plus year ago. Guess that is how it goes when a company gets bigtime.

Here's the thing about collector car insurance - we as a group are not trying to cheat the insurance company. It's a totally different clientel. We don't have a collector car to simply sit and look at, we drive them. Otherwise why have them? The other thing is we don't want a claim to start with (such as a stolen car, etc), WE WANT OUR CAR! We consider our premiums just a maintenance cost. However, we don't want to feel cheated if we get a claim, or cheated by undue restrictions.

I'm glad I read though all of this, but I'm kinda bummed-out now.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #54
Raaf

I just signed up with Hagerty.

Less than $200/year. For an extra $13 they added the option that if my car is "totaled" I get the agreed upon value and I get to keep the "totaled" car. This is important to me since I want to build out my engine and all of our cars are probably worth more in parts.

That said, I agreed on a 2500/year mileage and would not suit some of the use cases cited above.

I get my towing and roadside assistance through AAA, which somehow seems to get used at least once every two years by my more modern cars.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:42 PM   #55
Lee Mitch

I had to make a claim with Hagerty last year. My 4-blade fan came off and nearly destroyed my radiator, cut through wiring harness and did significant body damage to the side panel. They allowed me to get local profession bids (mechanical/body/paint/radiator) and gave me every penny that was bid for. It was expensive. They never questioned the bids, and I received a check very quickly. I couldn't have been more satisfied with my experience. Plus they were kind and empathetic. They were aware that I was out on a personal, non-tour drive too, because they asked.
Lee Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:31 PM   #56
Gene F

Lee...they asked. The time for those questions are before a claim. Like I said before it's a different clienitell. Remember you still did all the running around. That's what the adjuster is for.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:35 PM   #57
GeneBob

I emailed Hagerty to verify my coverage. I told them that I drive to work about once a week and out to get lunch or dinner on weekends. I also stated that I don't drive to work when it is raining or snowing because it makes a mess of the car. They verified that I was covered for my driving. I didn't say anything about club events since I have not participated in any, since Covid has pretty much prevented any of those anyway.
They seem very easy to deal with. We will see if things change after they go public.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:32 PM   #58
Keith True

Last July a friends 39 Plymouth took some damage from an attendee at a small cruise night.It was kind of a silly act that did over $5000.worth of damage to the car.The owner took lots of pictures,and contacted Hagerty.He was told to get an estimate,and when he got it he was told to go ahead and get it fixed.He was paid,the car was fixed,and the only questions from Hagerty after was if he was satisfied with the outcome of the whole affair.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:08 AM   #59
Lee Mitch

Gene, yes, they asked, but had no problem that it was a "joy ride." Am I missing something here? They offered to send an adjuster, but I said I preferred to do the leg work myself, knowing local services better than they did. As I said, it was a great experience for me. Just my take and that of a few others that have responded here.
Lee Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:10 AM   #60
rfitzpatrick

State Farm holds 64.6% stake in Hagerty's "A" Shares to: " -- further a relationship--"
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote