Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
BRU

Default Need help 55 Ford brakes

I have a 55 Ford and brake pedal pushes so extremely hard, I have to reef on the pedal just to get medeocor brakes. Has new lines, checked the brake shoes, there all good, the drums are good but pedal is rock hard. I also have a 49 Ford and the pedal is not that way at all. I have never had a pedal push this hard on a Ford that I have owned. I really need your help before Spring gets here. Thanks for all your help.

P.S. Master cylinder is stock and I believe everything else is also. This is not a power brake system.
BRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: Need help 55 Ford brakes

Part of the problem may be the material used in the shoes. The old stuff was better at slowing a car, but the people working with it usually died young. I would contact Master Power Brake and ask.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #3
scicala

Does the car pull to one side when braking ?

Sal.
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Is the car new to you? Maybe the pivot bolt the pedal hangs on has a problem?
(previous owner replaced it with the wrong kind)
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
BRU

Sal, car does not pull one side or the other, was thinking about going to a 1and1/4 master cylinder, thinking the bigger bore would give more pressure.

P.S. Yes the car is new to me and the car is out of Arizona. I had a 55 Ford in the 60’s and it was a much softer pedal.

Thank you! Appreciate the help!
Old 04-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
V8 Bob

You need to find the problem. Going to a larger master bore will increase the pedal force, NOT reduce it. The fluid volume would increase, not the pressure.
First, make sure the pedal works like it should. Dis-connect the push rod and check for full travel without any binding or limitations. Look carefully under the dash for anything that could restrict pedal travel.
If the pedal checks out, the problem could be in a sticking master cylinder, or more commonly a wheel cylinder. Plugged or shot hoses could also be an issue, but don't normally restrict pressure, only retain it.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #7
Daves55Sedan

The only time my '55 ever had a hard pedal was when one of those chain brake/muffler shops installed new shoes and adjusted the brakes shoes so tight to the drums, the car would sit still even on a steep incline.
I got about halfway home and realized that it5 was taking waaay more power than it should to get the car moving. Immediately backed off all the brake shoe adjustments when I got home and then it was good to go.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:37 AM   #8
Grumpy Rick

My first thought is that perhaps someone only adjusted the bottom adjustment on the drums, not being aware of the old fashioned top adjustment.

I had a T-bird that gave me fits a few years back, and once adjusted per the manual, worked fine.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:56 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Smile Re: Need help 55 Ford brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post

The only time my '55 ever had a hard pedal was when one of those chain brake/muffler shops installed new shoes and adjusted the brakes shoes so tight to the drums, the car would sit still even on a steep incline.
That is referred to as ON-CAR LINING ARC-GRINDING...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
scicala

"If the pedal checks out, the problem could be in a sticking master cylinder, or more commonly a wheel cylinder. Plugged or shot hoses could also be an issue, but don't normally restrict pressure, only retain it."

That's why asked if the car pulled left or right during braking. A stuck wheel cylinder would cause that. With no pulling, seems like a problem in the master cylinder might be possible.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #11
BRU

Hi guys, How are ya today? I was unaware of there being an adjustment at the top of the backing plate or shoe. Does any one have a picture or know of a utube video a guy could look at? I appreciate your help! Have a great Ford day!

P.S. We had a couple inches of hail this morning and rain and cold wind in good old central Wisconsin. Suppose to have snow tonight and tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Post Re: Need help 55 Ford brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU View Post

I was unaware of there being an adjustment at the top of the backing plate or shoe. Does any one have a picture or know of a utube video a guy could look at? I appreciate your help! Have a great Ford day!
There is only the star wheel adjuster the bottom of the shoes.

I think the poster is thinking of the old CHRY cam adjusters or MEDIUM TRUCK shoes.

How long did the car sit? Most likely the entire system is going to have to be gone through and the shoes replaced with QUALITY shoes, not the crap sold through PEP BOYS and others.

NOTE-

If the parts box contains a FORTUNE COOKIE, take it back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORTUNE-COOKIE _2.jpg (31.5 KB, 5 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #13
V8 Bob

The 49-'53 Fords had an movable anchor that was a "major" adjustment, while the lower star wheel was "minor".
My information states an eccentric was used in '54-'55 on the front brakes only, (along with the star wheel) and requires a special adjustment. I am not familiar with these brakes or the adjustment procedures so the best thing for the OP is to find a'54-'55 service/shop manual, unless someone can provide the necessary info.
My '56 manual shows the Bendix brakes now have no eccentrics or movable anchors, so the '54-'55 brakes are somewhat unique.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #14
KULTULZ

Question Re: Need help 55 Ford brakes

Where are you getting your info BOB?

The MPC makes no reference, only the anchor pin.

My interest didn't start until the 54 models and I have never come across that on a FORD of the period (1954-1957).

I have the older FORD SHOP MANUALS but I have to dig them out...

If it is there, I want to know. That is why I am here, to learn and not argue...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 04-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #15
V8 Bob

KULTULZ,
I have complete manuals covering '49-'51, '56 (and later), but the '52-'55 info is mostly basic brake info Bendix provided that I gathered over the years. My first car was a '54, and I remember the eccentric, just don't remember what the adjustment procedure was. Guess I'll start looking for more shop manuals.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #16
KULTULZ

Wink Re: Need help 55 Ford brakes

I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet (silver) too and begin digging...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BRAKE- FRT & RR - 1954 FORD.jpg (48.1 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg BRAKE- FRT & RR- 55-56 FORD.jpg (51.8 KB, 305 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 04-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #17
estout81
BANNED

I have a '51 Ford and the brakes require two adjustments. The maintenance manual will tell you how to adjust. I think this procedure is the same for '49-'55. I can tell you from experience that you need to follow the manual. Makes a big difference in the way the brakes work.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #18
Grumpy Rick

1955 Ford Shop Manual; page 318, #3. General adjustment is on previous page.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #19
Hot Rod Reverend

Look on my marathon blog thread or take a crack at hotrodreverend.com. The post there are all searchable by tags. There should be three adjustments, the star wheel, the eccentric, and the upper anchor pin which is also adjustable and slides up and down in the backing plate.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:57 AM   #20
KULTULZ

Question Re: Need help 55 Ford brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post

Look on my marathon blog thread or take a crack at hotrodreverend.com. The post there are all searchable by tags. There should be three adjustments, the star wheel, the eccentric, and the upper anchor pin which is also adjustable and slides up and down in the backing plate.
Can you point directly to the info? Your website is a little flashy and confusing (to me).

- DISCLAIMER -