Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2022, 11:29 PM   #1
Brian

Default vibration

The other week when driving my 35, I heard a bit of a 'bang'. Car was idling and I was just releasing the clutch to take off in first gear out of my driveway. Car drove through all gears including overdrive [Columbia], but there was a strange vibration present at higher speeds. I didn't know where the bang emanated from, to aid in diagnosing the problem.... Today, I began troubleshooting...running the engine in neutral resulted in no vibration, so I discounted anything clutch forward. Hoping it wasn't a problem in the rear end, I drained the diff oil; no metallic particles present [good sign]. Rolled the diff back and lo and behold, the universal joint was busted! So, easy fix, but I am amazed; the universal shattered with engine merely idling. One whole ear had broken off, the thing was still transmitting drive but obviously flopping around at increased revs. Didn't even hear it scraping inside the hemispherical housing it lives in.
Funny thing is, my car, if it breaks down, will always break down within a block of home, never hundreds of miles away, or when I'm racing it etc. Gotta love these old Fords!!