Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #1
casper_wcx13

Default No fuel to fuel pump

I replaced the radiator and now i am not getting any fuel to the carburetor. I cannot find the fuse for it as suggested online. I am trying to fix all the prior owners mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
casper_wcx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: No fuel to fuel pump

Assuming no add-on electric fuel pump there is no fuse. The stock pump is mechanical. There appears to be a filter (the brass object in the rubber hose in the photo). I would disconnect the hose above the filter and crank the engine to see if you're getting fuel to that point. If yes than then replace the filter if that's what it is. We need some history on the car if possible, such as any fuel lines replaced, etc.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
casper_wcx13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
Assuming no add-on electric fuel pump there is no fuse. The stock pump is mechanical. There appears to be a filter (the brass object in the rubber hose in the photo). I would disconnect the hose above the filter and crank the engine to see if you're getting fuel to that point. If yes than then replace the filter if that's what it is. We need some history on the car if possible, such as any fuel lines replaced, etc.

No fuel is getting to the bigger fuel filter right next to to carburetor when i crank it. I will try and see if the brass one is the one giving me problems.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
casper_wcx13

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper_wcx13 View Post
No fuel is getting to the bigger fuel filter right next to to carburetor when i crank it. I will try and see if the brass one is the one giving me problems.

I removed the hose and fuel squirted a little out of the filter but i dont think its enough pressure to make it up to the second filter then into the carburetor.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
Dobie Gillis

OK, now remove the rubber hose that has the brass piece in it (I don't think that's a filter now, it looks like a hose coupler) and crank again to see what comes directly out of the pump. If you still get only a small amount of fuel disconnect the inlet hose at the pump and blow compressed air into the hose after loosening/removing the gas cap. There could be some trash/crud in the line from the tank. The other possibility (remote) is that you created an air leak in one of the rubber hoses while replacing the radiator hoses. Do you have any idea of the age/condition of the rubber fuel hoses?
Old 09-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #6
casper_wcx13

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
OK, now remove the rubber hose that has the brass piece in it (I don't think that's a filter now, it looks like a hose coupler) and crank again to see what comes directly out of the pump. If you still get only a small amount of fuel disconnect the inlet hose at the pump and blow compressed air into the hose after loosening/removing the gas cap. There could be some trash/crud in the line from the tank. The other possibility (remote) is that you created an air leak in one of the rubber hoses while replacing the radiator hoses. Do you have any idea of the age/condition of the rubber fuel hoses?

The hoses are old i am going to replace them right now when i go to the autoparts store. I will keep u updated as i try n figure this thing out.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #7
Alaska Jim

no matter where the problem is, I would also replace that plastic fuel filter next to the carb. with a metal one. that clear plastic filter has the possibility of getting hot and maybe melting enough to cause a leak and potential fire, being that close to the metal parts of the engine. it does not look to be supported by anything other than the rubber fuel hose. just my opinion
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
casper_wcx13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
no matter where the problem is, I would also replace that plastic fuel filter next to the carb. with a metal one. that clear plastic filter has the possibility of getting hot and maybe melting enough to cause a leak and potential fire, being that close to the metal parts of the engine. it does not look to be supported by anything other than the rubber fuel hose. just my opinion

Im doing that also [emoji1303]

Old 09-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Quote:
I would also replace that plastic fuel filter next to the carb. with a metal one. that clear plastic filter has the possibility of getting hot and maybe melting enough to cause a leak and potential fire...
The complete install is a fire hazard. Rubber hose from the pump to the carb?

Find ethanol rated fuel hose (low pressure FI).

https://www.gates.com/us/en/hydrauli...00-000001.html

Last edited by KULTULZ; 09-21-2021 at 06:59 PM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:55 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

Are you sure that the fuel lines connected to the pump aren't backwards. On mine, the lower hole is connected to the line that comes from the gas tank. There might be "IN" and "OUT" markings, but some pumps don't have it.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #11
casper_wcx13

Quote:
Im doing that also [emoji1303]

Moved the fuel filter and added new fuel hoses. Finally got it running now i just need to get it tuned up. The air fuel mixture ratio on the carb seems a lil off , for a v8 it dont accelerate too fast. Ive tried setting it to the manufacturers specs bit it still seems a lil off. Any other info on what i can do to make it run better .

Old 09-22-2021, 12:29 AM   #12
Alaska Jim

First check that the points are in good condition, and set to the proper gap, next set the timing. If you do not have a timing light, disconnect and plug the vac. line to the distributor, and using a vac. gauge set to highest vac reading and then back it off a bit until it does not ping. then adjust to specified idle speed then adjust the mixture screws one at a time by turning them in until the engine starts to stumble then back it out just enough to get it to smooth out. this should get you good results if done properly and the engine and carb. are in good condition. I am sure others will correct me where I am wrong.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #13
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Are you sure that the fuel lines connected to the pump aren't backwards. On mine, the lower hole is connected to the line that comes from the gas tank. There might be "IN" and "OUT" markings, but some pumps don't have it.
The fuel lines look backwards to me too. On the Y-block fuel pumps I have the line from the tank goes into the pump fitting toward the front side of the housing and the fuel line up to the carburetor comes from the more rear side of the pump housing.
Quote:
... The air fuel mixture ratio on the carb seems a lil off , for a v8 it dont accelerate too fast. Ive tried setting it to the manufacturers specs bit it still seems a lil off. Any other info on what i can do to make it run better .
casper_wcx13,
What carburetor and distributor are on the engine?

If it has the original style Loadomatic distributor from '55 it may need some extra attention.
Example photos below.
They are totally vacuum dependent for the ignition timing advance. If the vacuum line from the carburetor or the diaphragm in the vacuum canister is leaking you won't get any timing advance.
Also if the points breaker plate is stuck and can't turn, it needs cleaning & lubrication.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55 56 load-o-matic dist.jpg (50.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 55 dist, arrows.jpg (70.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump, labels.jpg (63.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-22-2021 at 10:03 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #14
casper_wcx13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
The fuel lines look backwards to me too. On the Y-block fuel pumps I have the line from the tank goes into the pump fitting toward the front side of the housing and the fuel line up to the carburetor comes from the more rear side of the pump housing.

casper_wcx13,
What carburetor and distributor are on the engine?

If it has the original style Loadomatic distributor from '55 it may need some extra attention.
Example photos below.
They are totally vacuum dependent for the ignition timing advance. If the vacuum line from the carburetor or the diaphragm in the vacuum canister is leaking you won't get any timing advance.
Also if the points breaker plate is stuck and can't turn, it needs cleaning & lubrication.

If its not one thing or another smh i went to take it to the mechanic and could not get it started . The battery is fully charged it just clicks now and wont crank over

Old 09-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #15
dmsfrr

Quote:
If its not one thing or another smh i went to take it to the mechanic and could not get it started . The battery is fully charged it just clicks now and wont crank over
If the battery really is fully charged...
Any of the battery cable terminals could be dirty, including the ground cable to the block/engine.
If your '55 still has the 6 volt setup it needs large "0" size battery & starter cables.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Cables.jpg (32.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #16
casper_wcx13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
If the battery really is fully charged...
Any of the battery cable terminals could be dirty, including the ground cable to the block/engine.
If your '55 still has the 6 volt setup it needs large "0" size battery & starter cables.

Its been converted to 12 volts

Old 09-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #17
casper_wcx13

Quote:
Its been converted to 12 volts

The voltage on both connections on the external resistor glow bright red but the connection going to the distributor cap is very dim. Could the resistor be bad ?

Old 09-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #18
dmsfrr

Quote:
The voltage on both connections on the external resistor glow bright red but the connection going to the distributor cap is very dim. Could the resistor be bad ?
If the ballast resistor is bad or has an open connection you won't get any voltage on the "+" terminal of the ignition coil, unless the ignition key switch is in the "Start" position & triggering the starter solenoid.

Diagram below...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12v Ignition wiring diagram points, copy.jpg (41.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg starter-solenoid-wiring-diagram c.jpg (51.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-22-2021 at 04:07 PM.