Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 06:57 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default I am leaving Fordbarn

For four (4) years now I have been trying to update my posting of Model A/AA Ford Websites...Can YOU add to the list?" and have been unable to do so...Last time was January 2017.

This listing took me one hell of a lot of time and research to help you as restorers

Have complained about it a few times to the management but nothing happens....all I get is that the management is working on it...for four (4) years???? Give me a break!

Over a fourth of the listings are now no longer!

I give up...I will be elsewhere.

You know how to reach me at [email protected]

Happy Model A'ing.

Steve Plucker

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 11-16-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: I am leaving Fordbarn

I often read your posts
With the probability of you being blocked or banished, would you explain how the site has stymied you? Maybe if we knew the problem some of the members would help in your process. Is it a failure of the Barn to add this somewhere Permanently?
Trying to be a friend as I appreciate all of you that do the research
Old 11-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
trulyvintage

Lightbulb No problem posting

I have no problem posting on the thread you linked.

I just posted on it now.

Jim
Old 11-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #4
McMimmcs

A man has to do what a man has to do. Good luck at your new location.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #5
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
For four (4) years now I have been trying to update my posting of Model A/AA Ford Websites...Can YOU add to the list?" and have been unable to do so...Last time was January 2017.

This listing took me one hell of a lot of time and research to help you as restorers

Have complained about it a few times to the management but nothing happens....all I get is that the management is working on it...for four (4) years???? Give me a break!

Over a fourth of the listings are now no longer!

I give up...I will be elsewhere.

You know how to reach me at [email protected]

Happy Model A'ing.

Steve Plucker
Humm... Something isn't adding up here. A couple of things:

1. The edit functionality has been turned off since September 16, 2020. Before that date, it was turned on and working for the previous two years or so at least...

2. I have zero emails or private messages from you.

In any case, I can tell you this:

The edit functionality was turned off due to a database error that went down in early September. Part of the way we make sure we don't lose any content is to compare the database date to date. If something changes, we know we have an issue. If people are allowed to edit their posts, it sounds the alarm and causes us trouble.

We have about 14 days left of monitoring the database before we can call it healthy. After that date, editing will be turned back on in the same way it was prior.

Hate to see ya go... All I'm trying to do is secure our data... And that's not something I can compromise on. But, I do apologize if I've cause you any grief.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
frank55a

Steve,

I understand your frustration. Years ago when I started posting ads on the swap meet page, it was possible to edit or delete them at any time. For the last few years it seems like editing is limited to about 30 days, after that the ads become permanent. Countless times I have tried to edit or delete old ads that no longer apply with no luck. Also many times I have requested old ads where the parts are sold to be deleted also with no luck, the best I can do is post a response to the ad saying the part is sold.

Just a thought - These old ads that no longer apply must be costing the administrators of this sight something, I like this sight very much. I would like to see an improvement where those of us that post ads could edit or delete them as applicable.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #7
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank55a View Post
Steve,

I understand your frustration. Years ago when I started posting ads on the swap meet page, it was possible to edit or delete them at any time. For the last few years it seems like editing is limited to about 30 days, after that the ads become permanent. Countless times I have tried to edit or delete old ads that no longer apply with no luck. Also many times I have requested old ads where the parts are sold to be deleted also with no luck, the best I can do is post a response to the ad saying the part is sold.

Just a thought - These old ads that no longer apply must be costing the administrators of this sight something, I like this sight very much. I would like to see an improvement where those of us that post ads could edit or delete them as applicable.
I don't believe we've ever allowed editing past 30 days? I can't remember ever allowing that. In fact, I think you have to have a plugin on VB just to allow that because its a security risk...

Which suddenly, it makes sense why Pluck was having issues... I hadn't thought of that. The only way around it would be to make Pluck a moderator.

As for ads, we leave them up because I value old ads. It lets you go back and see what things were/are selling for.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
WHN

Steve:

The world needs us “old guys” around.

The old guys have years of real time experience with these cars. Starting as young kids.

Please allow other people to have the ability to share your historical views.

Best regards,

Bill

Enjoy.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
rotorwrench

There are some listings on the Hamb like this but not all on one post. The lists are added one post at a time by all sorts of members and they work out pretty well. It takes time to go through all the pages but at least it all pretty much stays on the thread. I don't mind looking through some of these threads since it can answer questions a person might have if one of the sources dries up or is bought out by someone else.

One major problem for photo ID threads is that folks used photo sharing web-sites for quite a long time and then the site would change it's rules and many of the photos would no longer be accessible. It's so much nicer now that we can put limited file size jpgs directly onto the site from our hard drives. I suppose they can still be corrupted and go away at some point but at least they don't get highjacked by the photo sharing sites as much anymore.

I learned a long time ago that nothing lasts forever but at least we have it for a good while more often than not.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-16-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
jg61hawk

No reason to leave now that it's been explained ... We all need each other's knowledge, and from the posts you're pretty sharp...stick around, THANKS.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #11
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

PLUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! SAY IT AIN'T SO. I feel your frustration all the way down here in North Louisiana but thought it must be an earthquake. This computer drives me nuts most of the time when I lose stuff. If you leave remember YOU WILL BE MISSED GREATLY. Philip
Old 11-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #12
Chuck Dempsey

From my many years in Information Technology, I know Data Base Admins have a TOUGH time with 'permissions'. Just WHO can READ what, CREATE what, DELETE what or UPDATE what? Combine all of that with keeping reliable backups, and it's not surprising we sometimes have issues.... So please stick around, Pluck. This too shall pass.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Hate to see you go Steve. I have learned a lot from you. But if you decide this is best for you, I wish you the best of luck.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #14
warhorseracing

As for ads, we leave them up because I value old ads. It lets you go back and see what things were/are selling for.

I agree with you Ryan and it is the same way on the H.A.M.B. You can go back in time and see what a car or part costed maybe 5 years ago and compare.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:35 AM   #15
ronn

sorry to see you go. your facts were insightful and appreciated.

I left aaca because of bs and so it goes........... I get it.

nothing is perfect.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #16
big job

Steve relax it is not you. Your not alone, and I do not blame the ford barn its this age
of stupid computers which can not be trained. I try to help take an hour to help somebody
and load a picture then >> Post just to find all of that was a waste all gone not a trace.
Not me not ford barn its This stupid thing.....mind of its own.......
Old 11-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #17
Floats

Cheers Pluck,
Sad to see you leave. Thank you for you input and advice over the years.
Take care.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Old 11-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #18
reggiedog

Smile Re: I am leaving Fordbarn

Steve,

Don't go as I loved working with you on your research as I learned a lot from you and I too loved reading your post on the barn, and when I have a question I can always P.M. you and I always get the correct answer to the question that I asked.

As I'm always pulling your books out to get the answers to some questions that I have, but I'm kind of still waiting for your last book to come out as I have a lot of stuff to look up in there also.

As I'm not the only person that has these cars around me as there always asking me did you get the book yet, as a few of them like me have projects going on that book would help out on.

Granted it would always be my book but I can always tell the right stuff or we can always look it up in the book, just like I do with the other books that I have of yours as there's a lot of information in there and I'm so glad to of helped you with some of it.

I would do it again in a heartbeat as it was a lot of fun for me as I was learning a lot from doing it, and giving you the research that I found I actually got into researching the Milwaukee Plant myself after that and I'm slowly still doing that.

Jeff
Old 11-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #19
prpmmp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iY2...nnel=MANNYMORA Don't take this the wrong way Pete
Old 12-23-2020, 02:51 AM   #20
Big hammer

Something isn't right with him, that other place he went to he is picking fights with members management ! When your a play ground bully that has taken all of the marbles and no one wants to play with you don't let the barn door hit you no your way out!
Closed Thread