Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #1
jerbo

Default How to clean the rust & crud from the engine without running it through the radiator

HOW TO CLEAN THE RUST & CRUD FROM THE ENGINE WITHOUT RUNNING IT THROUGH THE RADIATOR ??
Does anyone know of or made a tool that allows a garden hose to put water into the engine, and flush out the crud & rust, without using the radiator? I thought it might be a good idea to hook up the garden hose to water inlet, then run the water through the engine and let it just flow out the bottom engine hose.... anyone ever do or try that ? I'd love to hear of any tool you made that does it. Thanks for looking, Jerbo
jerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:03 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: How to clean the rust & crud from the engine without running it through the radia

Just undo the hoses from the radiator and flush away!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
Pete

Default Re: How to clean the rust & crud from the engine without running it through the radia

There are no tools. You have to hire it done.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:50 PM   #4
J Franklin

If flushing the radiator isn't enough take it to a radiator shop and get it boiled out.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:33 PM   #5
Synchro909

There is no need for any of that nonsense. Just use this 2 step process in accordance with the instructions and all is as good as new. I have seen the results - remarkable.
http://liquidintelligence.com.au/pro...m-cleaning-kit and watch the video. This guy is the owner of the company and you will se he is a no BS, down to earth fellow.
BTW, I have no stake in that company.

Last edited by Synchro909; 02-22-2021 at 10:34 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #6
nick c

First drain all water from block and rad and fill with 2 gals. of vinegar, let set for 24 hrs, I worked in a radiator shop years ago, we flushed the block and reverse flushed the radiator. To flush the block on my 29 AA I remove the upper hose at rad and point away from me, then remove the lower hose at the rad and insert a special tool into the lower hose, it is connected to a garden hose and also connected to an air compressor hose with 60 psi. when the block is full of water hit the air valve for 1 second, do this 3 times or until water comes out clear.
For the rad you must block the off the upper hose and remove the rad cap, then I install a rubber 2" 90* elbow on the neck, now connect the special tool to the lower hose, let water run until it comes out top of rad the hit the air valve for 1 second, repeat till water comes out clear.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #7
Bruce of MN

Made from chunks of 2X4 with holesaws and plumbing fittings:

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
Chris Haynes

I flushed mine with the garden hose. Filled it with a mixture of RUST 911. I left it in for 24 hours, even drove the car. When I drained it the water appeared black. I refilled and let sit 24 hours again. This time when drained it the water was grey. Repeated the process once again. This time the water drained clear. The engine and radiator were both sparkling clean and rust free with no evidence of any debris in the radiator as it had all dissolved.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #9
Ray in La Mesa

I built a homemade one like Bruce but added tire valve stem to put a burst of air thru once the radiator is full, it's totally open to the atmosphere so the added air pressure won't hurt anything.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #10
Synchro909

I've never seen RUST 911 nor even heard of it except on the forum. What is it, how does it work etc?
Old 02-26-2021, 06:12 AM   #11
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I've never seen RUST 911 nor even heard of it except on the forum. What is it, how does it work etc?

Rust911: Makes 2-gallons of Rust Remover Concentrated Dissolver | Economical, Safe-to-Use and Powerful Oxidation Treatment Soak Rescue Cleaner for Cast Iron, Steel, Copper -16 oz Ultra Concentrate https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008HS4O...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:15 AM   #12
shew01

This is the ”Amazon’s Choice” product listing as of today.

Evapo-Rust The Original Super Safe Rust Remover, Water-Based, Non-Toxic, Biodegradable, 1 Gallon,Gray,ER012 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00M0TLQ...ZAA1P203PQ0FN7

Old 02-26-2021, 07:42 AM   #13
Big hammer

Evaporust works better when the Evaporust is warm, 80 *F or above, I'am not sure what the maximum temperature should be?
Old 02-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #14
Tom Endy

See attached article.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2OC-Back Flush.pdf (124.5 KB, 74 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:35 PM   #15
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
This is the ”Amazon’s Choice” product listing as of today.

Evapo-Rust The Original Super Safe Rust Remover, Water-Based, Non-Toxic, Biodegradable, 1 Gallon,Gray,ER012 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00M0TLQ...ZAA1P203PQ0FN7

Holeee Heck, they don't even put a price on it! I've learned to stay well clear of shady places that do that.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:31 PM   #16
Chris Haynes

Quote:
You can buy smaller, less expensive sizes. I buy the big jug so I always have it when I need it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust911-16-ga...s%2C397&sr=8-1
Old 02-26-2021, 08:34 PM   #17
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Holeee Heck, they don't even put a price on it! I've learned to stay well clear of shady places that do that.
I can clearly see the price on the right side of the listing. But my money is spent on RUST 911.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:37 PM   #18
shew01

Quote:
When I open that link, the price is $15.36 USD. Maybe it's not available in your area?
Old 02-28-2021, 10:55 PM   #19
jerbo

Does anyone have experience using Oxalic Acid to clean the engine block of rust crud?
How much Oxalic Acid to how much water to make the mix? Any idea how long to let the acid sit and soak before flushing or back flushing out ?
Also has anyone used Oxalic Acid to clean the radiator ? Since most Model A radiators are made of brass, how long should the acid be left in to soak ?
Thanks, Jerbo
jerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #20
nick c

Here's a pic of the tool that really works
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0611-resized.jpg (154.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0610-resized.jpg (184.0 KB, 45 views)
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote