Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2022, 10:52 PM   #1
junkyard junky

Default Big Truck 2 Speed Rear Axle Parts

Have a 46 Ford 1.5 ton truck with the 2 speed rear axle. Has anyone come up with a replacement for the old vacuum shifting for the 2 speed axle?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delete377.jpg (45.3 KB, 217 views)
junkyard junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:58 PM   #2
Joe777

Default Re: Big Truck 2 Speed Rear Axle Parts

Good question! I may need one in the near future. I saw a NOS one on the web a while ago and the guy wanted crazy money for it.
Joe777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 11:00 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyard junky View Post
Have a 46 Ford 1.5 ton truck with the 2 speed rear axle. Has anyone come up with a replacement for the old vacuum shifting for the 2 speed axle?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 11:52 PM   #4
GB SISSON

I have had a couple different ones at different times so I couldn't compare them. Seems they were all the same basic Eaton with different actuators. One was manual with a long rod to the lever, another had a vacuum can. I was in the process of making a rod linkage to replace the vacuum when I sold the truck. My advice is go mechanical. I think Bernette who posts here made a mechanical linkage for his and posted pictures.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:40 AM   #5
cas3

I agree ^^^ make a mechanical linkage. They all crunch a bit when shifting, its part of the deal...get used to it. Shifting at low RPM's helps
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:02 AM   #6
burnette

theres one problem with putting them mecanical , they pop out of gear in rough roads .i think mecanical 2 speed had a detent to hold them in place . its not that bad but it happens !
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:17 AM   #7
jimTN

Later model Eatons had an electric shift. You might check them out on 55 and up Ford and Stovebolt trks.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:46 AM   #8
51504bat

Give a call to Chuck's Trucks, LLC
https://www.chuckstrucksllc.com/
Old 11-14-2022, 11:18 AM   #9
GB SISSON

It will come as no surprise to most of you that I have a story to share about the 2 speeds... There were 2 brothers about a half mile from here in the early days that farmed and ran a sawmill. One day they told me what happened to the third brother. Back in the 40's he was driving a 5 yard dump truck with a 2 speed axle. He was loading up at the quarry which was on a steep hillside. The handbrake was sketchy but he had it in gear. As he was doing a walk around, the axle shifting mechanism was losing vacuum and it proceded to shift but when it was between the two gears there was nothing holding and the truck rolled over him and ended up in the bay. He died from his injuries 6 months later. That's why I was converting to mechanical linkage.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 11-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #10
1952henry

I was taught to always park our grain truck in low, as it could slip out of high and roll away. Some two speeds are set up to default to low.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:15 PM   #11
5851a

Only driven electric. Only had one fail from it getting tired and blowing fuse. Of course, it was between gears on a hill with a lame parking brake. If you can go electric, make sure it's the correct voltage for your truck.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:39 PM   #12
GB SISSON

Come to think of it if the axle finds it's way between high and low, even a nice strong parking brake on the tranny or being in low gear or both would do nothing as it is all upstream. The dumptrick is now a roller skate. Keep in mind these three depression era brothers made most of their repairs with bailing wire. They may have bypassed some ' Dadgum safety default actuator' to get in one more load before supper.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:18 PM   #13
Joe777

I know a mechanical linkage or converting to electric would be feasible. However, that’s not what is correct for this truck. If at all possible I’d like to make it correct. A vacuum 2-speed would be just to-damn-cool. In my humble opinion of course.
Joe777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:55 PM   #14
38 coupe

At this point I doubt anyone has made a new vacuum can for those axles in decades. See if you can find a spare old one, and carefully take it apart at the crimp. Then see if you can figure out a new diaphragm. You don't have much to lose.
FYI, the two speed is almost guaranteed to be an Eaton 1350 and was used by almost all the truck manufacturers. Spare parts for the axle itself are probably not specific to Ford. The rear brakes, hubs, etc. will probably be Ford specific.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #15
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
At this point I doubt anyone has made a new vacuum can for those axles in decades. See if you can find a spare old one, and carefully take it apart at the crimp. Then see if you can figure out a new diaphragm. You don't have much to lose.
FYI, the two speed is almost guaranteed to be an Eaton 1350 and was used by almost all the truck manufacturers. Spare parts for the axle itself are probably not specific to Ford. The rear brakes, hubs, etc. will probably be Ford specific.
I have a can for you if you want it. I could get a pic tomorrow. Been tripping over too many piles lately. Send a PM
Old 11-18-2022, 09:01 PM   #16
barnfind08

I DMd you.
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote