Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
Kube

Default Now it's junk from Carpenter!

I have been a loyal customer and well, a fan, of Carpenter since 1973 or so.
It has become apparent that in the most recent years things are changing there.

Received a pair of hood supports for a '40 today. Vintique manufactured. Had I known that, I'd never have ordered them. As most of you seasoned V8ers realize, Vintique is synonymous with "junk".
The problem?
I am unable to swivel ANY of the pivot points. I may not be the strongest guy alive but Lord knows I should be able to move these.
I called Carpenter a moment ago and told them the issue. The fellow said they were aware of it. Really? And you still ship this garbage?
Got the return authorization but absolutely NO refund for my shipping fees to return.
So I am out $12 because they chose to ship a known bad product?

This is BS. My wife and I own a few businesses and on the rare occasion we "goof" we suffer ALL associated "damages". It is simply unfair for a client to lose a cent for our oversight.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Now it's junk from Carpenter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post

Received a pair of hood supports for a '40 today. Vintique manufactured. Had I known that, I'd never have ordered them. As most of you seasoned V8ers realize, Vintique is synonymous with "junk".
The problem?
I am unable to swivel ANY of the pivot points. I may not be the strongest guy alive but Lord knows I should be able to move these.
I called Carpenter a moment ago and told them the issue. The fellow said they were aware of it. Really? And you still ship this garbage?
Got the return authorization but absolutely NO refund for my shipping fees to return.

This is BS. My wife and I own a few businesses and on the rare occasion we "goof" we suffer ALL associated "damages". It is simply unfair for a client to lose a cent for our oversight.

I've read how large companies run statistics on return calls on defective products vs. fixing the cause of the problem.

If their number crunchers think it's cheaper to deal with returns they don't make the change. If it starts costing them money, they will.

I'm sure someone like Carpenter realizes their volume is so low on these types of items/sales, they are willing to roll the dice and keep selling junk.

I agree, you were owed shipping reimbursement once they told you they realized the part was junk. Shame.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 02-24-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
rockfla

Quote:

The problem?

I'm with you KUBE. I just don't understand how people accept the way a lot of businesses handle their customers these days. Like you, I am VP of the company I work for, I had an issue from one of my suppliers getting material to my customer on time....I went to the local freight hub, picked the material up and drove it 5 hours south to the job site to make good on a promised delivery......MY EXPENSE!!!! Customer service
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
deuce_roadster

Yeah, if I get something and it comes in a Vintique package I don't even try to return it. I throw it in my plastic bins for my swap meet stalls. Don't even open it.
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

It seems I'm sensing that SOME of you folks are beginning to realize that even though many of these suppliers have invested an arm and a leg to bring us peons reproduction parts, the fact still remains that some parts of questionable or unacceptable quality just cannot be justified by rhetoric and other excuses. Like Kube notes above, if the mistake, inferior quality or other inequity is NOT the fault of the customer, the honorable and ethical thing for a supplier to do is absolve the customer from any remedial or superfluous costs, including return freight. Whatever happened to the long-standing premise that the (reasonable) customer is always right? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
DavidG

I learned a long time ago that the two most dangerous (because of misuse) words in the English language are "always" and "never". Sure, I have trashed some things from Vintique as from Drake and Carpenter as well, but some things they offer look right, fit right, and function correctly. And those that know me know that I am fussy about such things.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I learned a long time ago that the two most dangerous (because of misuse) words in the English language are "always" and "never". Sure, I have trashed some things from Vintique as from Drake and Carpenter as well, but some things they offer look right, fit right, and function correctly. And those that know me know that I am fussy about such things.
Dave, I know you and I believe you and I are pretty much on the same page.

My comments were not directed at Vintique. I know that for the most part, they peddle crap. As such, I chose not to purchase anything with their name upon it.
I bought the aforementioned hood supports from Carpenter expecting to receive the "typical" (from my extensive experience) quality part.
To top it off, the guy at Carpenter readily admitted they knew of the issue with the supports. Then, to NOT reimburse my return shipping?
Yeah, we all make mistakes and those of us that run ethical businesses accept the responsibility for said mistakes.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
hotrodart

When I talked to the Carpenter guys at Hershey last October, it was obvious they were/are going through some changes. Their display had zero new parts (catalogues only)...only used parts on display. The "sales" guys had little (none?) knowledge of early Ford V-8 cars. Sure was a different scene!
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #9
Ziggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I've read how large companies run statistics on return calls on defective products vs. fixing the cause of the problem.

If their number crunchers think it's cheaper to deal with returns they don't make the change. If it starts costing them money, they will.

I'm sure someone like Carpenter realizes their volume is so low on these types of items/sales, they are willing to roll the dice and keep selling junk.

I agree, you were owed shipping reimbursement once they told you they realized the part was junk. Shame.
Haha. I was just talking to a coworker on Friday about this. This is apparently how Volvo operates, which I'm guessing is par for the course in the automotive industry. Bean counters, lawyers, banks, and insurance companies have completely deconstructed what is is to be a human being.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #10
40ford

I am not sure if this is true but I have heard Dennis Carpenter is having health issues and someone else is running the business now and it is not good.
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:29 PM   #11
philipswanson

My experience with Vintique is not poor quality. I bought the 40 Ford headlight surround chrome from Drake. Fit like crap. Sent them back and bought Vintique ones. Perfect fit and function. I see Drake as the worst quality of the 3 suppliers.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #12
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
Haha. I was just talking to a coworker on Friday about this. This is apparently how Volvo operates, which I'm guessing is par for the course in the automotive industry. Bean counters, lawyers, banks, and insurance companies have completely deconstructed what is is to be a human being.
Remember the Pinto gas tank problem? Ford figured it was cheaper to fight the lawsuits than fix the problem, IIRC.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #13
DavidG

Talk about misinformation!
Old 02-25-2020, 08:13 AM   #14
Kube

Quote:
Talk about misinformation!
Dave, this thread, like most others, has gotten completely away from the original post.
I often wish a person would read the entire thread before "piling on".
Or in the case of providing misinformation, a person would simply read beyond a headline.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:17 AM   #15
tubman

Don't ya' just love posts that start out... "I haven't read the whole thread, but....."

It's especially common on the H.A.M.B.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #16
Frank Miller

Quote:
Dave, this thread, like most others, has gotten completely away from the original post.
I often wish a person would read the entire thread before "piling on".
Or in the case of providing misinformation, a person would simply read beyond a headline.
Like talking politics on facebook. Sometimes the digression brings us to a better level but in most instances it involves misinterpretation or not carefully reading what was said.

A welcomed digression would be if someone said what they did to make them work. It's not what you asked but it is a solution.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #17
19Fordy

Wonder where the parts will come from when DRAKE and Carpenter are gone?
Will that be the beginning of the end of restoring old Fords?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #18
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post

Look at that situation as an opportunity for a young, knowledgeable and good-lookin' rich guy like yourself to save the day for the rest of us! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #19
Juergen

Perhaps we have grown to expect excellence from the vendors. In restoring a 39 Ford Standard, I got two sets of used hood side panels (made by Ford) which differed by 1/4 of an inch so I mixed and matched to get the best fitting pair. In the late 50s most of the repro was poor quality from Argentina or functional stuff from vendors like Ricks. We made do as a NOS original was unobtainable. In restoring a 64 GTO, one vendor has noted that some of his products were not totally correct but the best he could get. So you were forewarned that some rework may be required should this be the best you can get. Maybe our V8 catalogs need such a disclaimer.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:36 AM   #20
rotorwrench

I wonder who made the good ones? Since 2008, a lot of restoration part and service companies have either died off or gone corporate. We all know what happens with the corporate world. It took a long time to build the restoration parts suppliers to the level that they were in 2008. It's just sad that it is now seeming to regress to what it was back in the 70s when they were few and far between. I remember the stuff available from South America back then.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #21
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
The beginning of the end? I believe we are already spiraling towards the end. Last time I checked, prices are going down, down, down. It's the old economic rule of supply vs. demand.
the supply is rising every day while the demand is lowering.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #22
philipswanson

The smaller vendors that make stuff in the USA tend to have much better quality anyway. A big company like Drake selling piss poor quality will not be missed. Now that the Corona virus has taken hold, vendors will learn they can't depend on China. Good ridens. That goes for other imports as well like new cars and parts.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #23
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen View Post
Perhaps we have grown to expect excellence from the vendors. In restoring a 39 Ford Standard, I got two sets of used hood side panels (made by Ford) which differed by 1/4 of an inch so I mixed and matched to get the best fitting pair. In the late 50s most of the repro was poor quality from Argentina or functional stuff from vendors like Ricks. We made do as a NOS original was unobtainable. In restoring a 64 GTO, one vendor has noted that some of his products were not totally correct but the best he could get. So you were forewarned that some rework may be required should this be the best you can get. Maybe our V8 catalogs need such a disclaimer.
I think a disclaimer is a fair way to go. Customer can't say they weren't told.

I think Kube's issue was having to pay for shipping back due to poor quality.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #24
DavidG

That's a pretty widespread practice (the returnor paying for return shipping), although there are notable exceptions like Amazon.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #25
Kube

Quote:
That's a pretty widespread practice (the returnor paying for return shipping), although there are notable exceptions like Amazon.
Widespread or not, do you believe when someone sells crap (in this case knowingly) the consumer should suffer a loss?
I was taught early on that although "everyone is doing it" doesn't necessarily equate to "it" being correct.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:22 PM   #26
Phil Gillespie

And 'down under" to pay return shipping can many times be uneconomical.
You just have to take a hit and grin and bare it.
So important to use the recommended suppliers to get the best deal.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #27
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
And 'down under" to pay return shipping can many times be uneconomical.
You just have to take a hit and grin and bare it.
So important to use the recommended suppliers to get the best deal.
Phil NZ
"Taking the hit" is not an issue. I can afford the $12.
The issue is the lack of ethics.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #28
Don W/Norfolk

Ethics! Do they exist anywhere today? Or, am I being too cynical, again? dw
Old 02-25-2020, 02:16 PM   #29
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W/Norfolk View Post
Ethics! Do they exist anywhere today? Or, am I being too cynical, again? dw
I don't believe you are being cynical. Rather, I believe you are being realistic.
When Mr. Carpenter ran that business a guy could except to be treated "right".
That was a primary reason I'd worked primarily with his company
for the past 4 - 5 decades.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #30
34FordFabricator

As many of you know I manufacture and sell parts for 1933 1934 Fords. I take extra time and effort to make them correct and perfect. I test all parts for fit and finish and use NOS examples to take my measurements from. So because of all of this quality I put into the parts I have to charge more for them. So what do you think the results are. No one will purchase my parts. If I threw them together they would complain. If I put the quality in them everyone feels there to expensive. So what does everyone want. There are a few guys out there that want them because they demand only the best but that is not the norm. My goal in life is that if I do only one thing right in my life it will be to restore my car with the best parts and workmanship available.
Bill Monzo
34FordFabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #31
rotorwrench

I applaud anyone fabricating parts as good as Ford did for any model. When I was purchasing parts for my Model A years ago, I started doing business with Bratton's for the simple reason that they would put it in there catalog what they felt about the quality of the parts available with a warning if it wasn't at least as good as Ford's OEM. Most of them don't send out catalogs like they used to since there on line catalog is there on the web-site. The warnings aren't always there anymore.

Folks should mention this stuff and tell you how it's lacking or they shouldn't offer it up. At least that way you can't blame them. They are just trying to sell the best part available to them. Few of them actually manufacture this stuff. Even if they are involved, they still farm it out to be done and results aren't always what folks want. There should be truth in their advertising.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #32
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34FordFabricator View Post
As many of you know I manufacture and sell parts for 1933 1934 Fords. I take extra time and effort to make them correct and perfect. I test all parts for fit and finish and use NOS examples to take my measurements from. So because of all of this quality I put into the parts I have to charge more for them. So what do you think the results are. No one will purchase my parts. If I threw them together they would complain. If I put the quality in them everyone feels there to expensive. So what does everyone want. There are a few guys out there that want them because they demand only the best but that is not the norm. My goal in life is that if I do only one thing right in my life it will be to restore my car with the best parts and workmanship available.
Bill Monzo

Bill....Even though you're not being swamped with orders, you can damned sure be proud to offer pieces that you know require no excuses. You've endeavored to offer serious parts for the truly "serious" connoisseur. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #33
hotrodart

Quote:
I don't believe you are being cynical. Rather, I believe you are being realistic.
When Mr. Carpenter ran that business a guy could except to be treated "right".
That was a primary reason I'd worked primarily with his company
for the past 4 - 5 decades.

You can now vote with your wallet with a clear conscience......buy from someone else....if there actually is someone else to buy from. Otherwise your choice is go without, make your own, or suck it up.

The demographics are working against us old V-8 guys......economics realities.......hard to accept, but nevertheless true.
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #34
woodiewagon46

You hit the nail on the head hotrodart, back in the '70s and '80s there were probably 10 or 12, V-8 Fords ether being restored or hot rodded within a 10 mile radius of my house. Some of us would visit each others shop all the time. Today, I don't know of one person in my entire area, that is restoring a car or building a street rod. Reality, but sad.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #35
goshencars

I bought hinges from Mac's are they were terrible. They were tight and when I tried to free them up two of the arms came off. They were formed wrong and when I checked the hole sizes I discovered the both end of the arms are punched 3/8" but they used 5/16" rivets. My originals had 3/8" for the hood end and 5/16" for the rivets. I ended up using the old arms on the new hinges. The holes in the arms weren't worn to bad and I used the new rivets. Mac's are junk too.
goshencars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #36
supereal

I have been buying from Carpenter for years without problems. They manufacture many of the hard to find parts, and like other vendors, they also stock parts from others. Parts made by Dennis Carpenter's company are top quality, particularly made "in house" rubber parts. I can't say that for many others.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:20 AM   #37
Tinker

Can I bitch about millennials and hair buns too? Buy a part if you can find it or deal.

If you are hanging on to 6x of something... sell it. You only need 1 backup.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:38 AM   #38
Rudolph

a year or 2 ago I got Carpenter water pump gaskets witch actuality wicked coolant trough them, normal paper wouldn't even do that
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:39 AM   #39
Tinker

Don't be petty.... Make your own. Gasket material is available from napa.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:50 AM   #40
tiger.1000

Maybe before making a purchase ask the vendor for a description of the quality. If it turns out to be rubbish just "sue the ass off 'em" ?
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #41
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
Maybe before making a purchase ask the vendor for a description of the quality. If it turns out to be rubbish just "sue the ass off 'em" ?
Yeah, like that would be productive. $300 an hour attorney fees for a $10 set of gaskets (or a set of $100 struts), Or you could save some money and waste a day in small claims court. You have more faith in the legal system than I have experienced.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #42
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Yeah, like that would be productive. $300 an hour attorney fees for a $10 set of gaskets (or a set of $100 struts), Or you could save some money and waste a day in small claims court. You have more faith in the legal system than I have experienced.

It's still refreshing to see, on rare occasion any more, someone still able to use just a little common sense. You go, Denny! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #43
uncle buck

Quote:

Really?
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #44
Rudolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Don't be petty.... Make your own. Gasket material is available from napa.

I made the last water pump gaskets from cereal box and they never leaked or suffered in any way, only took them off to change the leaking pumps.

Dennis makes his gaskets from compressed tissue paper soaked in diarrhea.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #45
Tinker

I prefer gasket stock from napa, for a lot of engine and body gaskets. No way would I attempt to "make" a head gasket. With a good roll you can make an intake gasket. But gaskets are pretty straight forward and can be bought, certainly if you are doing a rebuild. Makes all the sense in the world to buy a set for a rebuild. Best gaskets is great.

My point was about finding resources. The resources are going to get smaller as time goes on. If, something works great. The quality of larger suppliers may be suspect, but still a great resource and most of the time is great. But, If you feel that way, support other avenues. Been a while since I've had to buy things from large suppliers. And I do not have to rely on them. My 38 truck mat from Carpenter 4 yrs ago was great. Love it

Guess I might change my tune when I really need something. But I'm in maintenance mode now and there are some real champs here that know how to service parts.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:21 PM   #46
Rudolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I prefer gasket stock from napa, for a lot of engine and body gaskets. No way would I attempt to "make" a head gasket. With a good roll you can make an intake gasket. But gaskets are pretty straight forward and can be bought, certainly if you are doing a rebuild. Makes all the sense in the world to buy a set for a rebuild. Best gaskets is great.

My point was about finding resources. The resources are going to get smaller as time goes on. If, something works great. The quality of larger suppliers may be suspect, but still a great resource and most of the time is great. But, If you feel that way, support other avenues. Been a while since I've had to buy things from large suppliers. And I do not have to rely on them. My 38 truck mat from Carpenter 4 yrs ago was great. Love it

Guess I might change my tune when I really need something. But I'm in maintenance mode now and there are some real champs here that know how to service parts.
Yep I agree, I got best gasket head gaskets in my engine, only had to re torque twice from new.

I want to buy a new fuel pump or even a rebuild kit in NZ but all the shops say bob and Dennis are having trouble finding a place to make them
Old 03-01-2020, 11:27 PM   #47
Tinker

Ask charlieny. Not to put pressure on him. You are on the other side of the world, It's the same here sometimes. My last pumps were from carpenter and still running them, maybe I bought them at the right time. 5 yrs later. Knock on wood
Old 03-02-2020, 01:58 AM   #48
ford38v8

Quote:

Brit humor on a Yank forum requires an appropriate emoji to clue us on how we should react.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #49
Rudolph

My Bob drake crab distributor cap has the contacts sticking out too far so it broke the NOS rotor, and I got a new bob drake rotor that is so long you cannot even get the cap on, have to grind 2.5mm off the brass tip
Old 03-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #50
Kube

Quote:

The problem?

While it may seem odd to quote my own post, it is quite apparent by how these threads go so far away from the original topic, I figured I needed to bring it (the thread) back to the original intent.

Follow up:
Carpenter finally came through and refunded my return shipping costs. It took speaking with the "right" person - one that had agreed the parts sent were known to be inferior.
Bottom line? With a little prodding, they did the right thing.
Thanks Carp's!
Old 03-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #51
ct1932ford

I always buy from Joe's when possible. He will tell me the quality or lack of, of the part and let me make the decision. Nothing like an old school / honest vendor.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #52
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1932ford View Post
I always buy from Joe's when possible.
Who is Joe?
Old 03-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #53
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
Who is Joe?
https://www.joesantiqueauto.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (54.8 KB, 11 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #54
real steeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
So true.
real steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #55
real steeler

I manufacture a few old parts. Quality is the primary consideration. So my stuff is always better than original. Nothing less will do.
real steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #56
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by real steeler View Post
I manufacture a few old parts. Quality is the primary consideration. So my stuff is always better than original. Nothing less will do.

For some reason, I get the feeling that you'd rather hang up the phone than to defend your pricing to a bargain hunter.