Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #81
TJ

Default Re: 2014 Gettysburg Meet Photo Thread

I've sat back and read many of the comments/criticisms regarding the times the meets are held, the lack of young people, etc. As someone who has been directly involved in several Western National meets and four Grand National meets I think I'm qualified to comment. First let me comment on the days chosen to hold a meet. As someone who has negotiated hotel contracts ( I negotiated the contract for the last Grand National) and have traveled great distances to other meets I have never found weekend hotel rates to be cheaper on the weekends. If that is the case, I welcome Vic or anyone else to find a hotel in a nice area with those cheaper weekend rates. It comes down to whether you want a good rate during the week or a more expensive rate on the weekends. The more expensive rate can also be harmful to our younger people who are on a budget.

Our meets are always held in great locations. Unlike Goodguys or NSRA who always have their meets in the same locations, they are able to negotiate hotel rates from year to year based on a large volume of people. They are also a commercial enterprise, so they have lots of $ for down payments and make promises to hotels to meet the minimum requirements of the contract. As a non profit we do not have the $ or the sheer numbers to be able to negotiate "sweet heart" deals with hotels on the weekends. Unlike Goodguys or NSRA our meets are held in areas that can include a great vacation along with attending the meet. The meets are scheduled well in advance and it gives people time to plan their vacation time to attend. When I was still working I had to plan vacations almost a year in advance. Thank goodness the club meets were advertised far enough ahead that I could request my vacation to attend a meet.

Let's take Gettysburg for example. Bring your car and family and then take a couple of days away from the meet and explore the area. At the same time the kids can learn a little about the history of our great country. They'll probably learn more in Gettysburg than they will in school. I'm sure there are other attractions close by for the wife and kids. No one says you have to spend every waking moment at the meet. You are not locked in to any one event , so your time spent there is your time to use anyway that you wish. I can name several other past meets that were beautiful vacation spots.

As for encouraging young people that has always been a problem. It's a problem in every social organization that has been around for a long time. Check your local Elks Lodge or any other fraternal organization. They are all having trouble recruiting young people. I hear the same problem from the Model A Club and the Model T Club. The hobby is expensive and it's tough on a growing family's budget. If any one of you want to sell your V-8 at 1/3 it's value, so a young person can join he club please hold up your hand. Maybe we should look at bringing in cars from 1954-1959?(Both Goodguys and NSRA have done this very thing). They're cheaper and may appeal to the younger people. I've asked around and that issue gets people real excited on both sides of the aisle. We also have to face the fact that some of the younger generation just doesn't have the interest. Check around with your own kids and the neighbor kids and I'll bet you find little interest, even within your own family. Most kids today want a new Honda with a big stereo and loud exhaust. They know absolutely nothing about how to use a wrench. You can thank your local school system for that problem as auto shop, etc. has been phased out for computer classes.(I'm trying to leave out the politics with that one).

So if any of you have an easy answer, I'm all ears and willing to try anything that has some merit. If you are not happy with the club and want to make a difference please consider running for a Director position. New people can inject new ideas and we welcome anyone who has ideas to help keep or increase our membership and bring in young people. It's interesting to note that many of the commenters on this site who have criticized the V-8 Club are not V-8 club members. I welcome criticism as long as you can offer a viable solution to the problem. Simply doing a "hit and run" criticism of the club without offering a solution will go in one ear and out the other with me. You are more than welcome to contact me via e-mail, personal message on this site, or calling me. My number is in the current V-8 Club roster. I've been a member since 1974 , so I'm not going to go away anytime soon(I hope).
Tom Johnston, Early Ford V-8 Club Vice President and California/Southwest Director.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #82
VeryTangled

Sorry for double posting more than one photo. It's been a hectic week. I'll get back to the photos next post so skip along if you like!

Okay the bitch mode just might have come back... <ducking>

#12 Zeke, Trailers??? I drove through he field, I think it was Wednesday, and counted 86! Before the meet my butt was puckered that we wouldn't have enough space, but we coulda handled an easy twenty more. BTW there was security there each night! Kudos to the 'Barners who selected the site!

A thought on some of the cars and people that intersected throughout the week. At Prueitt's shop there was a spectacular car, I think an '03 Cadillac, that was in for a new upholstery job (shout out to Scott who also did the top on our Phaeton). At the AACA Museum, just one of the awesome cars, was an '03 Ford that was almost a dead ringer for the Caddy. I know why, but it was neat.

We also saw an engine from Prueitt's in the AACA Museum's ''local chapter" room. An ENGINE was being used as a yearly award. I've never this room open before, or never found it, and I've been there four times in the last year! There were windshield cards from the old days, Glidden Tour stuff, local club show plaques for twenty years, and a bunch of aerial shots of the Hershey meet over the years. Great stuff.

I took one of the Docents for a spin around the parking lot and he showed me the barn where the overflow cars are! He spotted my fender skirts when I drove up, eagle eye, and commented how he was a big fan. I didn't have them on Sunday but was able to pop over to Dad's house on Monday and pick them up.

There were things we saw at EMMR that we crossed paths again with at Hershey.

At Bad Donkey we saw cars that would show up at the Concours!

#17 Brendan, I know you would have loved to come, but life happens man. I'm thinking of you and your truck as I'm posting all of these! Hey, where do you keep the keys?

#23 The Red '37 Station Wagon. OMG What a story. All this is third hand gossip, but here's my story. A lovely couple, wife described as '80's, DROVE this to the show, a significant amount over 125 miles. The night they arrived, hubby had a health event. Needless to say they couldn't pay attention to the car. But the way I heard it some good Barners/V8 Club Members made sure the car was covered at night (it rained twice during the evenings), put on the show field, and even hauled back to it's home garage after the show, so the family could, well, you know, do what they should do rather than worrying about a silly Station Wagon. Good people are still out there. This was an exceptional car IMHO, I hope the future is good for its owners, and selfishly, for the car too. A real beauty just the way it is, but, potentially, a Pebble Beach quality car, it is that sound. It ended up winning an award, not sure for what, but most cars do anyway. Both a happy and sad story, on many levels, all in one.

#44 Vic, I swing both ways. It's pretty awesome to crawl under a '36 Coupe that looks as nice as, or nicer , than it came off the assembly line. My car is mostly original but has been restored once and I sure love it. I love the Rouge maybe the best. But the right hotrod can get my blood pressure up as I posted from the NSRA meet.

#47 Zach, I'm sorry I was so distracted the four times I ran across you on Wednesday. Man I hate it I can't be in York Springs Saturday! Let the dirt/dust/mud fly!

#48 JM 35 Sedan said: "I think many of us prefer seeing the survivors in their original patina, as much, if not more than a high point restored show vehicle." X2

#49 Vic, Room rates... True story. I was at the front desk today, after our checkout time, that is, after 12:00, and there was a guy trying to rough up, get this, the Front Desk Manager, for a lower room rate. He had a good story, but the Manager was coming back to each comment. They guy was whining about a $189 room rate and how he brings enough business to get a decent break on the regular deal. I had to wait while the second person at the desk was working on a mini-crisis, and all I wanted was some change, so I stood there for about three or four minutes. The Manager satisfied the guy with a $169 rate and the geek was happy.

Our rate was $127! <bast_rds get another $14 in taxes so a $127 rate is really $140.97, it adds up quickly>

I'm not saying it was cheap. I split a room and my bill was a biscuit over $350 plus the $20 I left for housekeeping. I'll admit that hurts not just a little, but I'd also say we got a deal on an extremely nice Hotel. My room was cleaner than any room I've stayed in in the last two years. It was a nice place. I liked the towels.

The housekeeping let me peek in the big suite near our room and, let me tell you, there was a shower area, no a room, that, well if it was a VW Beetle, I'da liked to see how many people could get in there if you get my drift!

There was a weekend crowd coming in for a Lacrosse tournament and I'm pretty darn sure that those folks are getting fleeced vs. the V8'ers.

And #58 Vic, You seem to like to discuss the V8 Club, but are you a member, or maybe sometime in the past, but not currently? I don't know if there is a history.

As I've said in my long postings today, the V8 club is not without flaws, it's run by Committee for goodness sake so that is the stroke of doom. But I'm sure you know I have a great deal of admiration and fondness for you. We have shaken hands more than once, so please don't take this as me coming down on you like a ton of bricks.

The only way to get them to change is get in there and push a little. I wouldn't blame you at all if you didn't want to try, heck I sure can't at the stage of life I'm at, but, if you/we/I didn't then we'll never know if they'll come around to accepting an electric fuel pump without it being, tip of the hat here, hidden in such a way that it could fool 100 out of 100 judges.

As for holding the meet over a weekend. I've been 'at the meet' from Friday to Friday (I had to skip out to work on last Saturday), so that's a span of eight days.

I didn't even scratch the surface of what Gettysburg and surroundings have to offer. I saw more than one flathead on the Battle fields today, Friday, the day after the meet ended.

More photos to come.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
Old 06-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #83
VeryTangled

More
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0171.jpg (47.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0172.jpg (36.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0173.jpg (59.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0174.jpg (51.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0162.jpg (54.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0163.jpg (56.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0164.jpg (54.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0165.jpg (72.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0166.jpg (79.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0169.jpg (53.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0170.jpg (48.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0150.jpg (71.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0175.jpg (49.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0176.jpg (69.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0179.jpg (84.1 KB, 21 views)

Old 06-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #84
TJ

Jeff, I forgot to mention in my previous post to thank each and every person who makes themselves available to work on a V-8 Meet. Without volunteers these meets would not happen. Critics abound, but real volunteers are scarce and really appreciated by all of us. I am sorry that I could not come to Gettysburg. It looked like a great time and in a wonderful area. Kudos to all of you that worked on the meet. It's a big task. Tom Johnston, EFV-8 Club
Old 06-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #85
VeryTangled

• More

There are a couple of building and monuments that are icons. The gateway arch of the cemetery was in existence at the time of the battle. The Lee Monument can not be enhanced by words. The Pennsylvania Monument is enhanced by too many words but is, well, indescribable.

I tried to focus on the Pennsylvania Monument in the photos because it is close to the High Water Mark and is visible from many places on the battlefield, even if it is a mile or so away.

I drove the loop as the Park Service has it. I will reorder the photos to fit the days of the battle. Starting from the Vistor Center Parking lot, then we go to the northwest corner of the field for the first day...

A mounted group of Rebs came down the road under the traffic light to find a group of Yanks with cannons, I believe. A Yankee General was shortly killed or mortally wounded.

Photo 7, What looks like a picture of a bridge... I was trying for the train tracks below. Some Yanks hid in the 'railroad cut' and it didn't end well for them.

Photo 8, The Eternal Peace Light Memorial was first discussed in 1913, but took until 1938 to get done. Not a battle marker or monument, but moving none the less.

Photo 14 is of the College, the Seminary of Seminary Ridge. The Cupola was used as a lookout by both sides at points during the battle. A very historic place, and if I'm not mistaken, it houses the Historical Society, a very cool place to visit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0323.jpg (88.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0187.jpg (83.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0188.jpg (90.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0191.jpg (63.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0198.jpg (74.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0202.jpg (38.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0203.jpg (59.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0207.jpg (71.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0212.jpg (46.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0213.jpg (61.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0215.jpg (45.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0216.jpg (26.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0219.jpg (90.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0223.jpg (81.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0222.jpg (34.7 KB, 13 views)

Old 06-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #86
VeryTangled

more of the first day sites
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0340.jpg (69.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0337.jpg (51.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0327.jpg (75.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0328.jpg (50.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0329.jpg (90.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0345.jpg (51.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0346.jpg (56.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0347.jpg (50.6 KB, 13 views)

Old 06-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #87
VeryTangled

Second day. The Reb's try to sweep the Yanks off the Little Round Top.

The 20th Maine was memorialized in the book Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, a Pulitzer Prize Winner in 1974.

Segways and motorized trikes are rentals for guided tours..

4 Below the Little Round Top was a massacre of men from both sides in areas called Devil's Den and Slaughter Pen.

5 Gen. Warren and in background Pa Monument and The Angle/High Water Mark looking north as seen from Little Round Top

6, 7, 8 In the valley looking up at Little Round Top and shots from the Slaughter Pen/Devil's Den.

Photo 9, Site of the famous staged Sharpshooter photo. http://blogs.archives.gov/prologue/?p=12345

Photo 10, Cannons were not easy to get to a spot like this. The front line waved forwards and backwards multiple times in relation to this photo going towards the Little Round Top. Cannons were captured in this area

11, NY's Irish Brigade (3 infantry units, and 1 battery, a group of cannons), Wolfhound a sign of honor and Fidelity.

12 PA monument in the back, Minnesota on the left.

13 PA Monument, The temperature was 85 outside, and I couldn't go more than 25 mph for about two hours or so. Didn't spill a drop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0262.jpg (91.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0265.jpg (75.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0266.jpg (67.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0268.jpg (84.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0274.jpg (30.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0283.jpg (26.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0284.jpg (77.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0292.jpg (74.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0294.jpg (90.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0295.jpg (71.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0300.jpg (76.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0307.jpg (38.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0310.jpg (46.1 KB, 15 views)

Old 06-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #88
JM 35 Sedan

Here are some pictures I took during the banquet Thursday night. I did not see an unhappy face in the crowd. The Food was very good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140626_190358.jpg (57.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_190508.jpg (63.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_190500.jpg (67.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_190428.jpg (62.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_190325.jpg (69.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_190318.jpg (60.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_190022.jpg (76.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_190019.jpg (77.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_190011.jpg (69.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_185938.jpg (79.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_185926.jpg (74.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_185850.jpg (66.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_190300.jpg (64.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_205017.jpg (38.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_204858.jpg (35.4 KB, 37 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 06-29-2014, 04:35 AM   #89
Bobs32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Bob, that's a very nice offer! Nothing like a Maryland Crab Cake and a cold beer. Wish I could make it. I got home from one of the best Early Ford V-8 Meets, that I can remember, at about 10:30 am and we are now on the way to Ocean City, MD for a long weekend gathering of family. Steamed Crabs are on the agenda!!
Maybe we will meet up at one of the shows here in MD so I can see that Roadster. You might enjoy the Rodders Journal Revival to be held later this year at the Pimlico Race Course.
Actually you drove past my house on the way to OC

I've been a member of 36 since 2000
Chuck Talbert re built my flathead
Old 06-29-2014, 04:50 AM   #90
Bobs32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I've sat back and read many of the comments/criticisms regarding the times the meets are held, the lack of young people, etc. As someone who has been directly involved in several Western National meets and four Grand National meets I think I'm qualified to comment. First let me comment on the days chosen to hold a meet. As someone who has negotiated hotel contracts ( I negotiated the contract for the last Grand National) and have traveled great distances to other meets I have never found weekend hotel rates to be cheaper on the weekends. If that is the case, I welcome Vic or anyone else to find a hotel in a nice area with those cheaper weekend rates. It comes down to whether you want a good rate during the week or a more expensive rate on the weekends. The more expensive rate can also be harmful to our younger people who are on a budget.

Our meets are always held in great locations. Unlike Goodguys or NSRA who always have their meets in the same locations, they are able to negotiate hotel rates from year to year based on a large volume of people. They are also a commercial enterprise, so they have lots of $ for down payments and make promises to hotels to meet the minimum requirements of the contract. As a non profit we do not have the $ or the sheer numbers to be able to negotiate "sweet heart" deals with hotels on the weekends. Unlike Goodguys or NSRA our meets are held in areas that can include a great vacation along with attending the meet. The meets are scheduled well in advance and it gives people time to plan their vacation time to attend. When I was still working I had to plan vacations almost a year in advance. Thank goodness the club meets were advertised far enough ahead that I could request my vacation to attend a meet.

Let's take Gettysburg for example. Bring your car and family and then take a couple of days away from the meet and explore the area. At the same time the kids can learn a little about the history of our great country. They'll probably learn more in Gettysburg than they will in school. I'm sure there are other attractions close by for the wife and kids. No one says you have to spend every waking moment at the meet. You are not locked in to any one event , so your time spent there is your time to use anyway that you wish. I can name several other past meets that were beautiful vacation spots.

As for encouraging young people that has always been a problem. It's a problem in every social organization that has been around for a long time. Check your local Elks Lodge or any other fraternal organization. They are all having trouble recruiting young people. I hear the same problem from the Model A Club and the Model T Club. The hobby is expensive and it's tough on a growing family's budget. If any one of you want to sell your V-8 at 1/3 it's value, so a young person can join he club please hold up your hand. Maybe we should look at bringing in cars from 1954-1959?(Both Goodguys and NSRA have done this very thing). They're cheaper and may appeal to the younger people. I've asked around and that issue gets people real excited on both sides of the aisle. We also have to face the fact that some of the younger generation just doesn't have the interest. Check around with your own kids and the neighbor kids and I'll bet you find little interest, even within your own family. Most kids today want a new Honda with a big stereo and loud exhaust. They know absolutely nothing about how to use a wrench. You can thank your local school system for that problem as auto shop, etc. has been phased out for computer classes.(I'm trying to leave out the politics with that one).

So if any of you have an easy answer, I'm all ears and willing to try anything that has some merit. If you are not happy with the club and want to make a difference please consider running for a Director position. New people can inject new ideas and we welcome anyone who has ideas to help keep or increase our membership and bring in young people. It's interesting to note that many of the commenters on this site who have criticized the V-8 Club are not V-8 club members. I welcome criticism as long as you can offer a viable solution to the problem. Simply doing a "hit and run" criticism of the club without offering a solution will go in one ear and out the other with me. You are more than welcome to contact me via e-mail, personal message on this site, or calling me. My number is in the current V-8 Club roster. I've been a member since 1974 , so I'm not going to go away anytime soon(I hope).
Tom Johnston, Early Ford V-8 Club Vice President and California/Southwest Director.
Well said. Crab cakes here for free to anyone attending the meet. PM me for directions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1069-2.jpg (93.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #91
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs32 View Post
Actually you drove past my house on the way to OC

I've been a member of 36 since 2000
Chuck Talbert re built my flathead
Bob, would have loved stopping for a crabcake but we live in the northeastern section of MD. No Bay Bridge crossing for us. We go a little north and then down through Delaware and stay in the community of Bay Side, off Rt 54. Not really OC, MD but close.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 06-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #92
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Post 77 &79, that yellow engine, Frrank Miller pointed out to me that the head is on backwards. Anyone know why?

Old 06-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #93
al's28/33

Very good post and photos of our hobby and National history, thank you for posting!
Old 06-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #94
Cecil/WV

Jeff, you may have been near the last to leave, but I returned around 3:30pm and picked up the raffle engine and trailer. There were still 3 trailers on the grounds, and the 8N tractor and compressor. I posted this on another thread, but i will repeat that Don Ingersoll in NW New York state won the engine.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #95
dwaynec

Could it be 8BA heads on a 59A block? When I was a teenager an old time hardtop racer gave me a set of Offenhauser 8BA heads to put on my 59A block. He told me when I did so that I would have to mount them backwards for proper cooling.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #96
LBs 37V8

Here are 3 "grandfathers" survivor cars from the Gettysburg ENM. I found 2 more cars but didn't get pictures of these. The 37 stake is mine, my grandfather taught me to drive in it. The 41 pickup was restored in 1982 and still looks as good as new. The current owner said he played on the cab of the truck when he was a kid. The 37 coupe is an original car, both brothers drove this car to high school. One of the 35 Fords at Gettysburg was driven by the owner to college, to his wedding and to his 50th wedding anniversary. I suspect there were more survivors at Gettysburg but these are the ones I know about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0001.jpg (69.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0051.jpg (80.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0004.jpg (68.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #97
LBs 37V8

Here's the Hard Luck award winner from the Gettysburg ENM. He hit a deer on the way to Gettysburg. It got the left front fender of the 32 roadster, the left rear fender and crumpled the trailer fender on the tire on the first axle. He figured he'd just load the 32 on his open trailer, what could go wrong...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #98
Bobs32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Bob, would have loved stopping for a crabcake but we live in the northeastern section of MD. No Bay Bridge crossing for us. We go a little north and then down through Delaware and stay in the community of Bay Side, off Rt 54. Not really OC, MD but close.
I hear you, I'd say you get about 35 miles from my place. Offer is open anytime my friend.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #99
VeryTangled

Vic, In answer to post 33, These are rough numbers not official or from the club, just a survey from some photos: Concourse 55; Dearborn Emeritus 34; Touring A 32; Touring 25; Rouge 21; Dearborn 14; Display 4. Point jugded or walk around = 103. Display, Touring (both), and Rouge = 82.

What I said earlier is not backed up by this sample, there are more cars leaning towards 'as Henry made it' than there are that are identifying themselves as modified.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #100
Vic Piano

I have never found weekend hotel rates to be cheaper on the weekends. If that is the case, I welcome Vic or anyone else to find a hotel in a nice area with those cheaper weekend rates. It comes down to whether you want a good rate during the week or a more expensive rate on the weekends. The more expensive rate can also be harmful to our younger people who are on a budget.

Well, lets see TJ, I think the Tampa Bay Area is a "nice area" and in fact, it is a vacation destination! I know how to check room rates, and we (the Cigar City Flatheads) have held the Florida "Barner's Bash" for the past eight or nine years, over a three day weekend, (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) and I've been able to negotiate less expensive room rates as a result. While our event is much smaller in size (at least so far ) when compared to the EFV8 Meets, that has not impaired us in any way, with respect to providing nice accommodations for our participants, at discounted rates. I would think that an event looking to book a few hundred rooms, would have even more bargaining power...? I would agree that scheduling events is no easy task but, this weekday scheduling of Meets by the EFV8 Club has been questioned by both members and non-members (thanks to social media) for a number of years, and as far as I can tell, little or no consideration has been given, by the powers that be in the EFV8 Club, to making any changes. It appears that suggestions that go against the status quo, fall upon deaf ears.

I am no longer a member of the EFV8 Club, I left a number of years ago however, I will echo the concerns that have been voiced here by both members and non members alike. If an organization (car club) does not modify its mantra to accommodate a changing demographic, it will no doubt be left to wither and die, and I don't think any of us, members or not, want to see that happen.