Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
Vanspeed

Default Rebuilt generator to 12 volt source

Hey guys I am looking for somebody that can rebuild my generator to 12 volts. The two shops I knew of in my area have closed. I am looking for just a internal conversion while leaving the original outside aged finish. Any recommendations?
Old 02-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
terry

Default Re: Rebuilt generator to 12 volt source

Try Millworks Hot Rods&Supply Co, Tewksbury, MA 01876. They rebuild 1932-48 Ford generators for 12volts. Maybe someone can tell you someone closer. I haven't delt with this company directly. Be careful with conversions like this because the earlier generators can overheat if built to supply a lot of amps when wound for 12 volts. Also, you'll need a separate voltage regulator. Terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
klicker

https://pmxalternators.com/

My go-to guy for generators, alternators and starters. In Oregon.
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
Vanspeed

Was hoping I would find somebody closer. I am in Michigan.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
Jack E/NJ

If you have a two brush 6v generator with a 6v voltage regulator, an early 12v regulator will sometimes do the job. 6v generators are quite capable of delivering 12v output without throwing solder if you don't have any 6v downstream accessories that might draw big amps on 12v. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Fairly easy to do yourself if your interested in trying it.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:56 AM   #7
flatheadmurre

Itīs not a very good idee to just use a 12v regulator on a 6v generator...a fair chance to burn the field coil and relay..

2 fairly easy options for conversion available.

1: Buy a 12v field coil and a 12v relay this will give you around 75-80% output compared to a full 12v conversion works fine most times and the only thing you have to rebuild is installing the field coil in the casing of the generator.

2: Get hold of a 56- 12v generator and 12v relay, If you donīt need points correct you use the backplate casing and armature togetter with your original front and pulley.
You will have to cut off 2 tabs from the back plate and if 48- drill the locating holes in the casing, this way you get an all ballbearing generator.

Anyone with some wrenching skills can do the conversion.

A heads up when swapping parts on generators...if you descide to use the entire housing with fields from the later generator with your old backplate and armature...there is a difference in length...and the locating notches is not in the same place...you assemble the pieces as is generator wonīt charge until you turn the backplate to a correct location against field in the casing.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:22 AM   #8
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Fairly easy to do yourself if your interested in trying it.

please do tell....
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #9
Bob C

This was on the HAMB.

mr bill (Jan 5 2000 2:11PM) 6V generator to 12V
Has anybody changed their generator to 12V? I took mine to a repair shop to be converted and I was told that the existing field coils are too short to convert unless I went with a longer case. Since a longer case will not fit with my dual carb setup I am wondering what to do. I dont want to use an offset mount as this will require changing the fan set up. I am thinking that maybe I should keep the 6V. Any ideas?

Converting gen. V EK: Converting a 6V generator is pretty simple since only the fields HAVE to be changed. Use the 12V generator fields from early V8 Falcon-Comet-Mustang generators... they bolt up in the 6V generator case. (If you're running a '39 or '40 generator, you'll have to drill a hole for the ground since these generators are only two post units and the fields are wired for 3 posts.) Someone said the cases themselves are interchangeable if you drill a hole in the case for the locating pin. I don't know if that's true or not since I've never done one that way. (I usually am working on a chrome generator and want to retain the chrome case.) The armatures for the 6V flathead and the 12V generators bolt right up and will work in the 12V generator.... to a point. The 6V armature wiring is roughly twice as heavy as the 12V. No problem here (except you can't use a 12V armature in a 6V generator... it's a one way interchange.... the armature wire size is too small). If you do use the 6V armature for 12V, the generator will only produce about 75%-80% of the amps a 12V armature would. This is because there is one(if I remember correctly) less commutator bar and winding in the 12V armature than in the 6V. This reduces the amount of amps the generator can produce. Naturally, the voltage rating of the regulator must match the voltage rating of the generator. New voltage regulators for 12V generators are nearly all electronic. Whereas the 6V are all mechanical as far as I can determine. The electronic are not affected by heat or cold, but the mechanical are really affected by heat and cold. The electronic are virtually trouble free. Mechanical units give some problems from time to time and have to be re-adjusted as the springs etc. weaken with age etc.. I wish I could find a 6V electronic one. Anyone out there know of any???? Hope this is of some help to those converting..... rumble seat
Abomination, Mar 7, 2011
SHARE POST#
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #10
TuscanS

Certified Auto Electric Inc..............Website 6vto12v.com
TuscanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
please do tell....
Looks like Bob and flatheadmurre already did. There are numerous articles and post on the topic.

Here is Rumbleseat post:

I don’t understand why flatheaders take their 6V generators to a rebuilder and have them converted to 12V. The charge is pretty high, usually around $100, when you consider only the generator fields have to be changed. The fields from a Falcon/Mustang/Comet bolt up in flathead generator cases. Like many things Ford did, there always seems to be an exception. If you’re using an original ‘39 or ‘40 generator, you will have to drill a hole in the case and install a grounded terminal for the new 12V field. Ford grounded these internally during ‘39-’40 and depended on the generator mounting for a ground. This new external ground terminal will replace the existing internal ground. These ‘39-’40 generators have only two external terminals instead of the usual three. I’ve been told 12V Falcon/Mustang/Comet complete generator cases will interchange with 6V flathead 8BA generator cases by simply grinding a locator pin slot in the 12V case, but I’ve not done any of these. It’s something to look at if you’re doing one of these change overs. A consideration: The armatures for a 12V Falcon/Mustang/Comet and a Ford 6V two brush generator are a one-way interchange because the 6V armature winding uses about twice the size wire as the 12V. The 6V armature works on 12V, but the 12V armature won’t work on 6V (the 12V armature wire size is too small for the current the 6V produces). Okay, okay..... there is one more thing when using a 6V armature in a 12V generator.... a 6V armature makes only about 75%-80% of the amperage the 12V armature does because there is one less commentator bar and winding in a 6V armature.

I have a much more detailed writeup if I can find it!

Last edited by JSeery; 02-17-2020 at 01:37 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #12
38bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
This was on the HAMB.

mr bill (Jan 5 2000 2:11PM) 6V generator to 12V
Has anybody changed their generator to 12V? I took mine to a repair shop to be converted and I was told that the existing field coils are too short to convert unless I went with a longer case. Since a longer case will not fit with my dual carb setup I am wondering what to do. I dont want to use an offset mount as this will require changing the fan set up. I am thinking that maybe I should keep the 6V. Any ideas?

Converting gen. V EK: Converting a 6V generator is pretty simple since only the fields HAVE to be changed. Use the 12V generator fields from early V8 Falcon-Comet-Mustang generators... they bolt up in the 6V generator case. (If you're running a '39 or '40 generator, you'll have to drill a hole for the ground since these generators are only two post units and the fields are wired for 3 posts.) Someone said the cases themselves are interchangeable if you drill a hole in the case for the locating pin. I don't know if that's true or not since I've never done one that way. (I usually am working on a chrome generator and want to retain the chrome case.) The armatures for the 6V flathead and the 12V generators bolt right up and will work in the 12V generator.... to a point. The 6V armature wiring is roughly twice as heavy as the 12V. No problem here (except you can't use a 12V armature in a 6V generator... it's a one way interchange.... the armature wire size is too small). If you do use the 6V armature for 12V, the generator will only produce about 75%-80% of the amps a 12V armature would. This is because there is one(if I remember correctly) less commutator bar and winding in the 12V armature than in the 6V. This reduces the amount of amps the generator can produce. Naturally, the voltage rating of the regulator must match the voltage rating of the generator. New voltage regulators for 12V generators are nearly all electronic. Whereas the 6V are all mechanical as far as I can determine. The electronic are not affected by heat or cold, but the mechanical are really affected by heat and cold. The electronic are virtually trouble free. Mechanical units give some problems from time to time and have to be re-adjusted as the springs etc. weaken with age etc.. I wish I could find a 6V electronic one. Anyone out there know of any???? Hope this is of some help to those converting..... rumble seat
Abomination, Mar 7, 2011
SHARE POST#
Wow, I posted that question on the old FB just over 20 years ago!
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #13
estout81
BANNED

I got a 12V generator and regulator for my '51 Ford from Certified Auto Electric and has worked fine for a few years.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote