Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #21
katy

Default Re: Those were the days....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
Mac’s sells its Cartouche Victoria upholstery kit for $2150.95.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...-material.html
That link takes me to a Corvette site.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #22
Steve Plucker
BANNED

So I went to the Cartouche website to see just what the material sold for today.

In 1980 it was $14.00 per yard...Today, that same material is $44.95 per yard.

KATY Got it right!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #23
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
So I went to the Cartouche website to see just what the material sold for today.

In 1980 it was $14.00 per yard...Today, that same material is $44.95 per yard.

KATY Got it right!

Pluck
So the value of the material has not changed.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #24
shew01

Default Those were the days....

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
That link takes me to a Corvette site.

Yup. Ekler’s ownes a bunch of unrelated car sites. The link is broken now, but it worked when I posted it.

Here is a link from another vendor that has the same price.

https://www.mikes-afordable.com/prod...31-UA11N3.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #25
shew01

Default Those were the days....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Ironically your estimated value is not too far off as this is retail in 2020...

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...rd-437193.html

Jonathon, I can't believe you would be asking that question after just spending half the day with us. To begin with, you apparently do not realize what all is on the list of the components that you receive for the $2,200, -however I think the bottom line is you are naïve about about the length of time it takes to turn some fabric, some panelboard, and some padding into a useable resemblance of what is supposed to be there.

Since you mentioned interior panels, let's use a door panel on your Victoria as an example. So a piece of good panelboard is about $11.00 delivered but it comes in 32"x48" size. I cannot order it in a Ford 190A Victoria size from my supplier. Therefore someone must cut it to the proper size and shape. The next issue is that it is one solid piece that has no provision for the door handle nor the window regulator handle. So not only do we need to cut the panelboard to the proper shape and make the edges follow the contour of the door, we now must cut two openings for the handles in the correct locations. No big deal until you miss the centerline of those holes by 1/16th of an inch! Also, be shoddy with the craftsmanship of the cutting, and you will either have a panel that extends past the door and rubs on the jamb area, --or it is cut too short and you see the inside of the door. Either way is unacceptable in my view.

So now we also need to modify the panelboard to accept the door clips which will provide the blind attachment clips a place to position too. How do you propose to get all those holes into the panelboard? Personally we use a scale to measure for locations and a special hole punch to insert the hole in the panel board, but again haste will make waste. I would need to verify on the print but I am guessing around 20 holes must be placed for the typical 190A door panel. Now we need to do the layout for the recessed door pocket. So all time totaled thus far, here we are a couple of hours into this one panel before we are even ready to install some padding or covering. Now go count the amount of panels it will take to cover everything from the two cowl kick panels all the way around the rear of the cabin.

Next, ...if you want an eye-opener, go count-up the pieces it takes to manufacture just once seat cover (correctly). You will need 6 for a 190A bodystyle. It takes time to layout the piece goods in the proper bias or graining direction, make sure the patterns are properly nested onto the roll, make all the cuts are correctly sized to avoid puckers or tight areas, pin the pieces together and then stitch the pieces together without wrinkles or shortages.

Of all the disciplines that we do in-house at my shop (-and think you have physically seen that we pretty much do them all here), I can tell you that us learning how to correctly do the Upholstery & Trim work has by far been the toughest area to learn and master.

Brent,

If *each* upholstery kit is a custom cut, I would agree with your point. Certainly, I see in your shop there is a ton of your shop’s labor involved in painstakingly making sure that every part fits properly on a customer’s car, as it should be, to turn out a high quality product.

However, the kits that I have seen online I’m thinking are standardized copies made from templates that the manufacturer’s already has in stock. I would think that the labor required to cut the fabric would not be that expensive presumably because the resulting manufactured product would be essentially just a “trace” (for lack of a better term) of the preexisting templates.

One thing for sure that I did not consider is the amount that vendors likely mark up the wholesale manufactured product for retail sales. From what I understand, 100% markups can be common for certain retail products, and I understand everyone has to make a profit to stay in business. I don’t know if 100% markups are common in upholstery kits or not. I’ve been told that sometimes upholstered furniture can be marked up 300%.

All I know for sure is folks will charge what the market will bear. So, $2,150 must be the “bearable” price. Customers wouldn’t pay it if they didn’t think the product was worth it. As I understand it, that $2,150 does not appear to include any custom labor that would be required to tailor the standardized kit to the customer’s car. A while back, someone indicated that additional installation labor could cost another $2,000 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk kit

Last edited by shew01; 10-09-2020 at 10:20 PM.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote