Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
PeterC

Default Different Temps! Different Sounds! NEW INPUT

I run three temperature gauges on my 35 Coupe (I'm a belt and suspenders guy!) ... stock 35 dash gauge plus separate drivers and passenger head probes. Engine runs great - no complaints. Its a 1948 59AB modified (scroll down for details)

1) I have aftermarket Navarro heads that facilitate extra coolant bungs ... two questions questions .. I've noticed for quite some time that the passenger side head always runs 180 while the drivers side head runs always 160-165 - always! (I've not tested each thermostat) but use a heat gun to check. I've heard this is normal but interested in your thoughts (hopefully based on facts)why this is common ??

2) I believe the passenger side exhaust is louder than the drivers side ... had others confirm this as well. I have the same mufflers / exhausts on both sides - have you found the sound difference as well on your dual exhaust builds?

Details

Engine Build Highlights
-Engine - 1948 59A Ford flathead
-S.Co.T supercharger - 4000cc

-Bored 3 5/16th inches / 4 1/8” stroked original 4” Mercury Crank - total 284 Cubic Inches
-Ported, polished intake and exhaust ports with hi-flo oversize stainless 1.6 inch valves - undercut stems
-Relieved quench area with 7:1 compression ratio
-Johnson style hollow adjustable lifters
-Dual Stromberg 48 high CFM model Carburetors with .052 main jets and 63 PV’s by Uncle Max
-Custom bell crank throttle linkage with functional original choke and throttle rods
-Ford “crab” distributor (12v electronic conversion)
-Wire Looms – stock Ford custom fitted

-1935 Ford dual air cleaner – Simard one-off custom (two original 35 Ford units siamesed to form one!)
-Ross forged pistons with full floating race prepped NOS 21A Ford Rods
-Schneider Camshaft 365 lift, duration 270 degrees, 112 overlap
-Heavy duty engine main bearing caps
-1948 Ford Truck 2-piece oil pan for ease of clutch service and oversize oil drain
-1948 Ford Truck 6 blade dual belt driven
-Dual pulley Truck Water Pumps
-Dual pulley high output 12 v 1940 Ford generator
-Edmunds vintage fuel pressure regulator
-Full flow oil system with Hildebrandt external oil filter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PETER_MARTIN_024.jpg (61.3 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by PeterC; 06-26-2020 at 03:18 PM.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Different Temps! Different Sounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
I run three temperature gauges on my 35 Coupe (I'm a belt and suspenders guy!) ... stock 35 dash gauge plus separate drivers and passenger head probes. Engine runs great - no complaints. Its a 1948 59AB modified (scroll down for details)

1) I have aftermarket Navarro heads that facilitate extra coolant bungs ... two questions questions .. I've noticed for quite some time that the passenger side head always runs 180 while the drivers side head runs always 160-165 - always! (I've not tested each thermostat) but use a heat gun to check. I've heard this is normal but interested in your thoughts (hopefully based on facts)why this is common ??

2) I believe the passenger side exhaust is louder than the drivers side ... had others confirm this as well. I have the same mufflers / exhausts on both sides - have you found the sound difference as well on your dual exhaust builds?

A couple of COOL (actually warm?) questions about a NOISY (I'd bet that's some beautiful noise) old used car! This should be interesting, especially on the noise aspect. Back to the top! Luv that car, Peter!! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

I put duals on the 46 ton-1/2 truck when the mercury engine was put in, had a brand new mustang V8 muffler for to use, when it was pulling hard it would overheat that side, putting another stock truck muffler cured it--- is there something different about the plumbing between the sides--- tight kinks???
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
PeterC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I put duals on the 46 ton-1/2 truck when the mercury engine was put in, had a brand new mustang V8 muffler for to use, when it was pulling hard it would overheat that side, putting another stock truck muffler cured it--- is there something different about the plumbing between the sides--- tight kinks???

Plumbing is equal on both sides
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0025.jpg (97.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 06-22-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
tubman

My '51 consistently runs cooler by about 7 degrees on the passenger side. I always thought it might be because if the extra coolant carried in the heater and hoses.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
My '51 consistently runs cooler by about 7 degrees on the passenger side. I always thought it might be because if the extra coolant carried in the heater and hoses.

And The Tub makes another valid point worth considering, although the temp is measured BEFORE the water starts it's extended journey toward the heater. If the heater water were plumbed to flow in the opposite direction, I could see the heater core aiding in the heat dissipation, just like a radiator. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
PeterC

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
And The Tub makes another valid point worth considering, although the temp is measured BEFORE the water starts it's extended journey toward the heater. If the heater water were plumbed to flow in the opposite direction, I could see the heater core aiding in the heat dissipation, just like a radiator. DD

In my case I have the heater core turned off at a valve shut off!

I believe if most "shoot" a heat gun on drivers and passenger sides of the Ford Flathead they will see the noted difference in temperature readings ... passenger side is hotter ... the mystery is why the difference !
Old 06-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
In my case I have the heater core turned off at a valve shut off!

I believe if most "shoot" a heat gun on drivers and passenger sides of the Ford Flathead they will see the noted difference in temperature readings ... passenger side is hotter ... the mystery is why the difference !
I wonder if there is a difference between 8BA's and the earlier engines? I mentioned this several years ago and it seems to me most of the 8BA guys that checked them found the passenger side to run cooler. In general, most that posted on that earlier thread had also noticed a temperature difference between the two sides of the engine.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #9
Phil Gillespie

Does your temp differential also apply if heat gun directed to top and bottom hoses either sides?
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #10
ford38v8

With the heater valve turned on, there will be a larger volume of water pumped through the passenger head than is pumped through the driver side head, which, all things being equal, should result in more heat transfer from the passenger side. The kicker here is that although that extra water is pumped through the heater core, it never makes it to the radiator at all, as it bypasses the radiator and reenters the system at the passenger side water pump! I believe that more important factors are the block castings themselves, the remaining core sand that survived all cleaning attempts, and importantly, the circuitous route the driver side exhaust must take to finally exit the tail pipe.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #11
PeterC

I think you make a good point - the passenger side exhaust manifold (mine are cast Fentons) is indeed a much straighter path of flow than the drivers which is tucked closer to the block and sharply angled to get past the steering g box. Drivers side may retain More heat due to that issue - May also explain why passenger side exhaust is louder... less restrictive flow!
Old 06-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #12
tubman

As a point of information, I also have Fenton headers and dual exhausts on my '51. I agree with both previous posters that the exhaust flow appears to be smoother on the passenger side. However, wouldn't that make the driver's side run hotter than the passenger side like my car? "PeterC" says that his car is running hotter on the passenger side.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #13
Automotive Stud

I think the obvious thing to check next would be bench test the thermostats in a pot of water, or even just swap them side for side, and see what that does.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #14
uncle max

The direction of OIL SPLASH always cools one side a few degrees.
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #15
PeterC

Default Re: Different Temps! Different Sounds! NEW INPUT

Had some great input from our resident Flathead Guru Joe Abbin **. Fascinating info I was not certainly not familiar with for sure!

**With Joe's permission to share ...

-----------

Hi Peter,
The flathead block geometry is not symmetrical. See my books and factory service bulletins for engine geometry details. The result is that if the right and left heads have identical combustion chambers, the driver's side will have have a slightly higher compression ratio. The result is that the passenger side is not as efficient (higher exhaust and coolant temperature) and louder (less combustion gas expansion). The factory 59A heads and most aftermarket heads are identical right to left (interchangeable) and exhibit the behavior you and I have noticed. Some earlier factory heads had 2-3 cc different combustion chamber volumes left to right to compensate.

We also note that the left and right hand engine cooling passages are independent (not connected except in the radiator) and may not be identical, thereby contributing to the differences we observe.

Your engine combo looks great!
Flatheads Forever,
Joe Abbin, Flathead Engine Adviser

www.roadrunnerengineering.com
Roadrunner Engineering - Home - Supercharge Your Ford Flathead
HOME Featuring books and supercharger kits for Flathead Ford engines. Click on Menu Items to the left to see more. Contact us at [email protected] Roadrunner Engineering / PO Box 53296 / Albuquerque, NM 87153
www.roadrunnerengineering.com