Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2023, 08:58 PM   #21
Eddie Morgan

Default Re: New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
I have not encountered fuel bowl draining overnight in a 1901. I highly doubt it is the power valve, that is typical of the Chander-Groves / Ford / Holley 2100 carburetors.

If you have not previously come across it this is a great source of information on your carburetor (use the arrows at the top of the web page to scroll through the manual):
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/H1901-1952/MCarbHoll19011952.html

My memory from rebuilding a 1901 is that there are no gaskets below the fuel line in the float bowl. You have a confusing issue.
Yeah, there are only a few things in the bowl ... jets, power valve and main fuel inlet needle/seat. At the moment, I'm lost with this.
I downloaded a repair manual for the carb ( includes Lincoln, Ford trucks, etc) and trying to read my way through it. I did notice a drip coming from one of the small brass tubes which point to the throttle plates. I don't know if I can post a picture of it on here for clarity, other than my album.
Eddie Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:14 PM   #22
Eddie Morgan

Quote:
I have not encountered fuel bowl draining overnight in a 1901. I highly doubt it is the power valve, that is typical of the Chander-Groves / Ford / Holley 2100 carburetors.

If you have not previously come across it this is a great source of information on your carburetor (use the arrows at the top of the web page to scroll through the manual):
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/H1901-1952/MCarbHoll19011952.html

My memory from rebuilding a 1901 is that there are no gaskets below the fuel line in the float bowl. You have a confusing issue.
I downloaded a manual for the carb, looked at the diagrams and there are only a couple things in the fuel bowl, main jets, power valve and main fuel inlet needle/seat. After I shut the car off, I've noticed gas dripping from the accelerator pump discharge nozzle. I've managed to learn just enough so far to get me in trouble, so I'm not digging into anything yet !!! LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230222_132900736_HDR.jpg (42.2 KB, 241 views)
Old 03-04-2023, 09:27 PM   #23
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Morgan View Post
I downloaded a manual for the carb, looked at the diagrams and there are only a couple things in the fuel bowl, main jets, power valve and main fuel inlet needle/seat. After I shut the car off, I've noticed gas dripping from the accelerator pump discharge nozzle. I've managed to learn just enough so far to get me in trouble, so I'm not digging into anything yet !!! LOL

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:34 PM   #24
GB SISSON

IIRC I have a teapot carb in my attic but never had it apart... Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? The bowl is suspended above the carb's base? Never seen such a thing. I guess the idea never caught on. Great to see a new guy with all this energy and enthusiasm!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 12:31 AM   #25
cas3

Of no importance, I currently have a 49-53 merc motor on my test stand to see if its alive.
It runs better with a spray bottle than it does with the carb. Hasn't run in decades probably, but I am not impressed with the "teapot" !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 12:50 AM   #26
Lanny

Wasnt the Teapot nick-named " The Towering Inferno"

Old 03-05-2023, 09:26 PM   #27
Eddie Morgan

Quote:

I downloaded a PDF with repair/specs data for several different variants of this carb ..... mind bending to say the least !!! LOL From what I can see in the diagrams, inside the fuel bowl is power valve, main jets, main fuel inlet needle/seat. Maybe got some debris in something? Still reading before I tear into it. After shutting the car off, I noticed gas dripping from one of the brass tubes just above the throttle plates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1901.jpg (42.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-05-2023, 09:28 PM   #28
Eddie Morgan

Apparently (I'm guessing here) it was designed that way to keep the fuel bowl cooler? It's certainly different !!! LOL
Old 03-05-2023, 11:08 PM   #29
GB SISSON

Didn't Teapot also make a toilet? I recall the wooden handle hanging from a long chain. I think your fuel leak may stop if you jiggle the chain a bit. You gotta admit, carbs and toilets have some similarities..
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:45 AM   #30
cas3

GB...I think you have had a couple bumps tonight !

Last edited by cas3; 03-06-2023 at 12:48 AM. Reason: to add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:54 AM   #31
38 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Morgan View Post
IAfter shutting the car off, I noticed gas dripping from one of the brass tubes just above the throttle plates.

The larger brass tubes are the discharge from the main jets, the smaller brass tubes are the accelerator pump discharge. The symptom you describe sounds like a common problem due to modern gasoline formulas. Modern gas causes to related problems: fuel level too high, and fuel expanding when hot.

Modern gas is less buoyant than the old leaded stuff. Said differently, the float isn't floating as hard as it used to. This results in more fuel in the float bowl before the float shuts off the flow. The float bowl now has too much gasoline in it for the carburetor design.

Next, the same modern gas expands a bit as it gets hot, like when you shut your engine off and the fuel heat soaks. The high fuel level drains out whatever passage it finds first and drips down into your intake.

The factory float settings are not longer good with modern gas. Set the float level down 1/8 to 1/4 inch and see if your problems are resolved. You may have to tinker with this as too low a float can let the float chamber run dry on hard acceleration, but too high a float causes the problems above.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:41 AM   #32
Ricosan

Welcome Eddie! You’ve come to the right place to get answers to your questions..can’t wait to see pics.
Richard
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:53 AM   #33
mfirth

I had a Teapot on an 8BA using a Merc intake. When freshly rebuilt it ran better than ever even using the stock distributer. Teapots hate any & I mean any dirt or contamination. I think Merc-cruzer who posts here can provide positive input about this carb. Try asking Charlie at : [email protected]
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:19 AM   #34
Eddie Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Didn't Teapot also make a toilet? I recall the wooden handle hanging from a long chain. I think your fuel leak may stop if you jiggle the chain a bit. You gotta admit, carbs and toilets have some similarities..
GB, maybe you've confused the teapot with the Rochester Quadrajet ... I had one of those and when you put your foot down, it sounded like a toilet flushing under the hood .... yessir, and the gas drained from the tank just as fast !!! LMAO
Old 03-06-2023, 10:41 AM   #35
Zeke3

User "scicala" is a teapot guru also, if you need assistance.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #36
Lanny

Hi Eddie, just curious if you got your carb issues figured out yet ?

Old 03-25-2023, 06:33 AM   #37
TomT/Williamsburg

Welcome, Eddie! This is a great group with a wealth of information. Perhaps you can check around and see if there are any other flathead folks near you so you can pick their bran! Lol!

Again, welcome …..
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 09:34 AM   #38
Merc Cruzer

Eddie,

Here are a few pictures of the "teapot" carb. Feel free to give me a call or send me an e-mail if you are more comfortable with that.

As to them draining over night, not much of an issue over night, but definitely if you go a few days, between starting the car. You might want to think about installing an electric fuel pump, to fill it up, before starting, and it will prevent the vapor lock issue too.

Merc Cruzer (Roy Lange)
Conifer, CO
[email protected]
(303) 838-2028 (land line)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0573 -1.jpg (56.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0617 -1.jpg (67.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0633 (2).jpg (76.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9921 (2).jpg (71.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9957.jpg (14.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9937.jpg (61.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9177 arrows.jpg (57.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0025 (3).jpg (84.6 KB, 16 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:29 AM   #39
Eddie Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
Hi Eddie, just curious if you got your carb issues figured out yet ?

I'm not so sure, Lanny. I've got good vacuum (holding 20 steady), readjusted the idle mix and checked the float/gas height in the bowl. Everything now seems to be where I've heard it should be. It idles smooth with the typical "shovelhead lope" LOL but tends to slowly drip from the idle tubes. It's a work in progress. :P
Old 03-25-2023, 10:32 AM   #40
Eddie Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Eddie,

Here are a few pictures of the "teapot" carb. Feel free to give me a call or send me an e-mail if you are more comfortable with that.

As to them draining over night, not much of an issue over night, but definitely if you go a few days, between starting the car. You might want to think about installing an electric fuel pump, to fill it up, before starting, and it will prevent the vapor lock issue too.

Merc Cruzer (Roy Lange)
Conifer, CO
[email protected]
(303) 838-2028 (land line)
Good morning Roy. I've checked and rechecked everything on the carb, float /fuel height, reset idle screws (holding steady 20mb vacuum ...... it may be a piece of crud got stuck somewhere. I have an electric pump on it for priming ... mech pump is running 4psi.