Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
Otterby

Default ‘48 Rear Drums

I’m trying to find a set of rear brake drums without the hubs for a 1948 Super Deluxe. The hubs are inside mount. Mac’s sells new drums for $130. I think this is crazy, I can buy drums for my 1 ton truck for $80. And I haven’t been really impressed with the quality of parts from Mac’s. Does anyone know where I can find drums cheaper than Mac’s? I’ve tried NAPA, Oreillys and Autozone but they don’t show that they have anything for that car.
Otterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #2
cas3

Default Re: ‘48 Rear Drums

replacing drums is a big deal. you need to cut the swedged studs with a hole saw before you press them out, or bend the hub. there is only two makers of the drums, chinese stuff from macs and others, or.... gol dangit, on the tip of my tongue, the folks that make the new hubs and lincoln backing plates? sombody will help! but you need new studs, modern splined things and true drums after they are mounted, its a big deal MT products, i believe makes the good drums

Last edited by cas3; 01-13-2018 at 12:54 AM. Reason: to add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:03 AM   #3
mrtexas

Get drum from MT Auto Products. Replace the swedged studs with modern studs that don't need to be pressed in. The only way to go and I have done it on two cars, 36 and 41.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #4
rich b

Boling Bros makes the quality MT stuff. http://www.bolingbrothers.com/replacement-parts/

Speedway sells their own version of the drum, Chinese made too.

No matter what you get; you will have to deal with the studs and possibly drum lip to backing plates interference requiring a little machine work.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:16 AM   #5
cas3

thanks rich for posting the real deal, i couldnt remember!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
Otterby

Thanks! Those drums from MT look nice! $135 for a drum is still nuts but I’m fine paying that if it’s a quality product. Does anyone know what modern press in studs I should use with my original inside hubs and the Lincoln style drum?
Old 01-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #7
Andy

I used studs for F1/F-100 hubs. The shoulder was the right diameter to fit the drum and the length was perfect. I opened the hub hole to something almost 5/8". This is with Speedway drums.

Last edited by Andy; 01-13-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #8
1oldtimer

I've used 2 different vendors (but most likely the same drum manufacture) of the original style drums with bad results. BOTH sets of drums were warped, both places would replace them at my cost for shipping. I turned them to make them better but still where warped. My next purchase will be the Lincolns from MT.

To answer your price question, that is the going rate, unless you get good used.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterby View Post
Thanks! Those drums from MT look nice! $135 for a drum is still nuts but I’m fine paying that if it’s a quality product. Does anyone know what modern press in studs I should use with my original inside hubs and the Lincoln style drum?
Early Ford Parts in San Dimas has the drums... they have everything you need! I did the MT bendix upgrade a year ago... I could only afford the separate hub & drums for the rears.. but I didn't have to replace any studs.. I ended up with them because my original hub/drum combined had a stripped stud.. and even though I told the machine shop to be careful, they messed up & warped the hub.. I am extremely happy with the MT bendix style

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterby View Post
On Boling's web sight they recommend reaming the original holes to .600" and using Dorman 610-234 studs.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #11
Otterby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
On Boling's web sight they recommend reaming the original holes to .600" and using Dorman 610-234 studs.
I noticed that but it was referencing 1940-1941. Is it the same for a 1948?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #12
1oldtimer

I used the press in studs on my '47, but the ones they sell you are for the repo hubs which are thick. They really stick out of the rear hubs bad (hub inside the drum). I used Dorman 610-191 and had to slightly taper the new drum with a stone on the inside of the rear. If you have a lathe you can turn the end down (I didn't when I put this together in 2008). This is with a .600 hole to start with.

With the 610-234 studs you buy repo:

With the 610-191 studs:

Old 01-14-2018, 01:39 AM   #13
Drbrown

Think I saw brake drums at RockAuto.com the other night.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:18 AM   #14
Mart

^ I'd be surprised if they have, I looked a couple of weeks ago.

In fact I just checked, they have nothing against 1947 or 1948. What they do have is drums listed for the 1948 F1. those are 11", however, not what we are discussing here.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #15
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
I used the press in studs on my '47, but the ones they sell you are for the repo hubs which are thick. They really stick out of the rear hubs bad (hub inside the drum). I used Dorman 610-191 and had to slightly taper the new drum with a stone on the inside of the rear. If you have a lathe you can turn the end down (I didn't when I put this together in 2008). This is with a .600 hole to start with.

With the 610-234 studs you buy repo:

With the 610-191 studs:

With the pressed in studs you used, the new drum just floats ? Like a later style rear drum on a truck?
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #16
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Hub-centered. The ID of the hole in the drum and the OD of the shoulder on the hub match and center the drum on the hub. The studs just hold the wheel on.

As contrasted to a Model A (lug centered) where the swaged lugs locate the drum on the hub and which require centering/turning after assembly to make sure the drum is centered on the hub.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:48 AM   #17
1oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
With the pressed in studs you used, the new drum just floats ? Like a later style rear drum on a truck?
Yes, they’re hub centric. These are aftermarket drums, if your using stock drums you might need to open up the lug holes a little......I’ll find out when the ‘28 is done .
Old 01-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

610-109 is what I have used on the front hubs.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #19
Karl Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
replacing drums is a big deal. you need to cut the swedged studs with a hole saw before you press them out, or bend the hub. there is only two makers of the drums, chinese stuff from macs and others, or.... gol dangit, on the tip of my tongue, the folks that make the new hubs and lincoln backing plates? sombody will help! but you need new studs, modern splined things and true drums after they are mounted, its a big deal MT products, i believe makes the good drums
As an alternative to pressing the old studs out the back, you can drill the back off the old studs, not as easy as cutting the front of both the stud and the drum. Use a smaller bit, maybe 5/16", to pilot a hole.
Then, use a bit 5/8" or so. Keep the depth so that you're not going to cut into the hub (or drum) itself. If you stop a bit short, a punch and hammer will break off the last bit of the stud flange.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #20
Otterby

Has anyone used these drums from speedway? I'm curious how they compare to the Boling Bros. drums? What does Bendix style mean? I have 12" juice brakes with inside mounted hubs.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/12-x-...akes,5847.html