Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
revenski

Default '38 one ton floor pans and boards

I am working on figuring out the floor pans for my ’38 One Ton. I have the original floor pan (pictures attached) which I was going to replace but which it now looks like I will be repairing and using. I ordered a replacement floor pan (replacement #1 pictures) for a ’38 pickup and what I got had an entirely wrong placement of the openings for the steering column and pedals. I then received another floor pan (replacement #2) which is identified as fitting ’35-’37 half ton pickups. This 2nd floor pan is similar to the original but is not as well made.
My questions start here: 1) What transmission pan should I get as a replacement, a ’35-’37 or a ’38-’39? 2) Is there any chance of my finding a pedal and steering column cover plate for the original floor pan, and if so, am I looking for ’35-’37 pickup parts or ’38-’39 parts? 3) Any chance of finding pedal and steering column floor seals? 4) How about a top of transmission to floor seal? 5) Are there any seals for the floor pan and boards with the cab and with each other?
The interior of the truck was pretty much not there when I got it, so any pointers on reassembly of the floor would be welcomed. Additional note: I have fabricated the floor board for the vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original bottom side.jpg (202.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Original top side.jpg (197.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Replacement 1 bottom side.jpg (112.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Replacement 1 top side.jpg (45.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Replacement 2 bottom side.jpg (131.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Replacement 2 top side.jpg (122.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by revenski; 02-08-2016 at 03:28 PM.
revenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
SofaKing

Default Re: '38 one ton floor pans and boards

I don't know the answer to your question, however I can say that the replacement panel in photos #3-4 looks very similar to the panel in my 39 PU. I can't tell if its exact but I don't see a difference except maybe the two holes below the pedal cutouts. My understanding is the 38/39 pu is nearly identical so that's probably not what you want.

Forgot to mention, they sell gaskets and tranny covers, I think Drake and a couple other places advertise them. I picked-up a roll of 3/16 thick foam tape at the hardware store I plan to use, haven't tried it yet.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:03 AM   #3
38bill

Photos 3 and 4 are very sim to what is in my '38 1/2T. I believe mine has a couple of flat clips (riveted on) that catch and hold down the front of the transmission cover. I would guess that one of the reproduction '38 transmission covers (without the holes cut) would fit. I dont know how the big truck transmission cover compares but I'm guessing its just in the cut outs.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
oldandtired

Ravenski...None of the ones pictured are for 35-37.Tthe 35/6 had three holes below the pedals, the center one of which was for the starter button and the other 2 for little rubber pads. The 37 did not have the center hole because the starter button moved to the dash. The ones pictured are 38/9 because they have the holes for the dimmer switch in the upper left. That factory hole would not have been in any of the 35-37 ones because they used a different light setup. I believe all 5 years are dimensionally pretty much the same.
In the 35/6 and 1937 model years they made at least two different toeboards for the respective years, one with the slots and the other with the wide opening.
For 1938 and 1939, they made at least 3 different toeboards. They made the one with the wide hole like your blue ones, they made the ones with the slots for the pedal arms, and they made ones with just two fairly small round holes for the pedal arms. For the first wide hole type, there is a filler panel and in the pictures you can see the small holes around the opening where the panel would go. On the black ones, I do not see those holes to put on the filler panel which is a bit puzzling to me. Perhaps it is a repop?
I only own a half-ton 39 and I am not real familiar with the 1-ton because I rarely see one. I believe there are steering column differences between the 1/2 ton and the 1-ton that might cause issues with the narrow slot toeboard and I have seen a bunch of used narrow slot toeboards that were butchered to make the slots wider when the pedals got a bit of play in them. I think you would be better off with the wide hole one.
I would have to go look because I can't remember for sure, but I know I have a NOS toeboard with the small holes...the type not pictured, and I know I have a spare used one but cannot remember which type...slot or wide hole. I also know where quite a few NOS toeboards are, but the people with them have them all marked the same part number even though they have 35-39 ones of various types so you have to go through them to get the right one.

Last edited by oldandtired; 02-09-2016 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typo
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
revenski

Looking again at the 3 toeboards that I have (1 original and 2 reproduction) in light of what has been said, I can clearly say that the narrow slotted toeboard design will not work in a ‘38 Tonner and probably not in a ’39 Tonner since their design is supposed to be the same. While the steering column may be fine, the slots for both the brake and clutch are moved significantly to the outside on that toeboard from where the shafts of the brake and clutch actually are placed in my Tonner. The clutch shaft may be as much as 2” closer to the center of the truck and the break shaft about 1” closer to the center. From what I can calculate based on pictures, it appears that the placement of the holes on the 2 hole toeboard are the same as the location of the slots on the slotted toeboard. Again, not a fit for my tonner. Therefore, I’m staying with my original toeboard.
Now, where might I find a “filler panel” for my wide hole toeboard, or is that something that I need to fabricate?
revenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
Mike/Franklin

Lots of them show up on E-bay. Shouldn't have to pay more than about $10.00 or $15.00 or so. Have never seen a repro. I'll check my garage if not too cold tonight. May have an extra.
Mike/Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote