Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
terry babb

Default Removing front brake roller track

Any tips for removing front roller tracks?
terry babb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #2
glrose67

Default Re: Removing front brake roller track

Hi Terry, I did this only a couple of weeks ago and wrote up an article for our club newsletter - I'll paste it down below. It's not too hard.

STEP 1
Disassemble the front brakes and take off the backing plate, then grind down the rivets on the back of the plate and punch out.

STEP 2
Put the new rivets through the holes - we found that the rivets were a bit smaller than the originals so there was a bit of play - this makes positioning the Track a bit harder.

STEP 3
Clamp the Track in position and make sure the distance along the edge of the backing plate is even - the large hole in the plate must be centered - just use some common sense when doing this - you’ll see how the holes are aligned. We spent a fair bit of time getting this right.
In the instructions is says put a bolt through one hole to keep the plate in place when installing the rivet - we decided to spot weld the Track- it doesn’t get in the way of anything and it won’t move when you bash those rivets in!

STEP 4
Clamp the backing plate onto a bench, use the supplied tool to hold the rivet in place, then heat up rivet and peen over the end. Repeat for second rivet, then give it a coat of black paint and you’re done! When re-installing shoes onto plate make sure you use a brake centering tool - most important as you may need to bend the Roller Track for fine tuning.

The front brake roller track can be bought as a kit which includes the little tool to hold the rivet when peening it over, and instructions.

Now I'm sure there are other ways to do this, and I'm not a mechanic so no hate mail please - this is what worked for me. Good luck!
glrose67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:22 AM   #3
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Removing front brake roller track

The fact that you "spot welded" them in place is a good idea.

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote