Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2021, 08:18 PM   #1
BobR35

Default '35 Radiator / water out the tube

So over the past 2 months I've been dealing with and trying to figure out the problem with coolant running out the overflow at the top of the radiator. The problem is that after the engine warmed up to operating temp and being in traffic, the coolant would push out the overflow tube. If I were moving, regardless of speed, everything is good. I replaced the water pumps with new high flow pumps just as a maintenance and peace of mind thing. I then replaced the 160 tt with 180, no change. I even tried running two thermostats on each side, the 180 at the bottom and 160 at the top, just to see if this would regulate/slow up the flow. Boy, that was a waste of time. The temp ggs went nuts, up - down-up-down. So then I decided to pull the radiator and have it reconditioned. Yesterday I installed the "new" radiator and decided to install washers inside and at the top of each hose, where the radiator attaches to slow down the flow. I used 3/4" I.D. washers and drove the car on a short 80 mile trip to test this out. I used hose clamps just below the washers to hold them in place. The outside temp reached 78* and the engine ran at 180* steady. I also engaged traffic in town. This is where the problem was, after a run and then in traffic at idle, the TT's would be wide open and coolant would spew out the tube. Well, problem solved!! No water loss all day. It seem that the flow going into the radiator over took the tank and pushed out the water. I do believe that the radiator being in good health did help a small amount. The inside condition of the radiator wasn't bad, 6 tubes were restricted and one totally closed. But it works as it should now and I'm happy!
So just my input after researching and trying to figure this mystery out I wanted to share with anyone experiencing similar issues. Hope it helps someone....
2200 miles in 7 weeks so far and lovin the ride!!
BobR35 is offline   Reply With Quote