Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
scott62

Default VIN Location on 1930 Cabriolet

Where is the VIN located on the 1930 Ford A Cabriolet? I have heard it is on the frame under the body or under the fender. I have been told it is on the engine but, that doesn't make sense.

Thanks
scott62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
PO51

Default Re: VIN Location on 1930 Cabriolet

If nothing has been changed on the car the number on the engine and the number on the car frame in the area of the drivers side rear engine mount should match. In addition the Cabriolet should have a Briggs Body tag on it. Lots of Model A's don't have matching numbers.
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

What Model A's have are serial numbers. This number on US built cars is located on the engine and on the frame. The engine was stamped when it passed testing and the frame was stamped when the engine was placed in the frame.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Russ B

my '29 cabriolet has matching engine and frame numbers. The frame number is on left rail, to the rear of the cowl body bolt, but before the "A" pillar bolt. My frame stamp was very obviously hand stamped quality, whereas the engine number was very carefully stamped. The Briggs body tag was located on the passenger side wood rail cross piece. If sitting in the passenger seat and leaning far forward, one could read the number face up, looking down between their legs to the floor.

(O/T) I just joined Ford Barn today; this is my first post here. I will post more later about the build I am beginning of my Cabriolet. I have had it since 1958, but it has not been running since 1964. My father purchased the car new in fall of '29 (pic below). I believe it was originally Andulsite Blue.

Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote