Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
sethkestenbaum

Default Battery Disconnect Options

I am considering adding a battery disconnect and/or a fuse system to my 1929. What are the pros/cons? Any recommendations?
sethkestenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Battery Disconnect Options

There are disconnects that mount on the battery. They are pretty simple with a knob that pushes down a copper strap and not able to take the current. I have seen them melt with the starting current in a 12V system.

The fancier units probably hold up well. You need to be sure to use quality wire properly routed. I always just pull the battery cable off the terminal when I parked in the garage.

Fuses are a nice idea, but in some cases the fuse is really too big to properly protect the wire. They are more of a feel good device than truly protecting your car. More than one person has had the fuse holder fail stranding the car.

Your most effective protection for the Model A is a good wiring harness with inspected good clean connections. Not much to go wrong.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
1931 flamingo

I thought I posted an ans to this but.....
Do a search, this subject(s) has been covered recently (with pictures).My recommendation on the fuse holder is to NOT get the one with the large nut on it. Get the best disconnect (25-18$) available AND the cables to go with it from the vendor of choice. I have my disconnect mounted under the driver's seat, easy on/off. I would also recommend an elec fuel shut off. Hope this helps.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
sethkestenbaum

Thanks. I found a link to a similar thread on the forum and based on the comments/photos will probably go with the floor board mounted method connected to the ground end of the battery. It looks like the easiest and most hidden route to go.
sethkestenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Pepsi Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I thought I posted an ans to this but.....
Do a search, this subject(s) has been covered recently (with pictures).My recommendation on the fuse holder is to NOT get the one with the large nut on it. Get the best disconnect (25-18$) available AND the cables to go with it from the vendor of choice. I have my disconnect mounted under the driver's seat, easy on/off. I would also recommend an elec fuel shut off. Hope this helps.
Paul in CT
I tried the electric fuel shut off and found the solenoid got rather hot ... Heat and gas is not always a good thing .. I took it out and tried a second one and it was the same ..... I took it out and stuck with the manual shut off.... Now the kill switch is a great thing ... I agree .. don't get cheap .. buy a good one
Pepsi Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi Mechanic View Post
I tried the electric fuel shut off and found the solenoid got rather hot ... Heat and gas is not always a good thing .. I took it out and tried a second one and it was the same ..... I took it out and stuck with the manual shut off.... Now the kill switch is a great thing ... I agree .. don't get cheap .. buy a good one
I must be a belt and suspenders guy. I have a fuel shutoff, per my wife's request,decree,order,mandate, AND a good battery shutoff.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
Bruce Adams

I am a big fan of mine which uses the heavy duty brass switch that I mounted through the firewall and I can switch with my toe each time I exit the car it being right above my foot.

FWIW a fuse does not protect the starter while a shut off will.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Ned

I use a blade type of fuse mounted in an inline holder that has a waterproof snap on cover. They are available from most hardware or parts stores as well as marine stores. The holder I use has yellow wires and it hard to see when it is installed in the yellow wire from the starter to the terminal box. You can easily pull the fuse out to disconnect the wiring from the battery.

I don't like the type that the vendors sell that bolts to the starter and uses a glass fuse. The fuse and contacts are subject to corrosion and breakage.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Barry B./ Ma.

I just mount the $25 shutoff switch in the top side of the left side rear motor mount and open the hood when I turn it off or on.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote