Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Brother A

Default Sector shaft/housing play

I bit the bullet and pulled the steering box from my '31 Cabriolet to chase down the steering play. Everything looked pretty good except that there is a noticeable amount of play between the sector shaft and the sector housing. It looks like a new housing with needle bearings but it's not clear if the sector gear is new. Should that shaft be a precise fit or is some play acceptable?

Thanks
Steve
Brother A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Sector shaft/housing play

Follow the link to my page on the steering sectors:

Steering Sectors

They sector should be fairly tight as any play here goes out to the wheels.
You may want to take it apart to check the needles are intact and the shaft is in good shape.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Steve, any "play" will transfer into wasted motion as you are trying to move the worm gear back & forth. While the needle bearings were thought to be a great improvement, it has actually been found to be counter-productive because of the small surface area the needle bearings provide.

IMHO, the best method is to choose a smooth sector that is concentric. Then install sector bushings that have the proper oil grooves manufactured in and use a pin fitting hone (--not a reamer or brake cylinder hone) to make a tight fit where the sector shaft has much support maintaining perpendicular alignment with the steering worm & shaft. When all of this is done properly, people are amazed at how well the vehicle will steer.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

If the torrington needle bearing setup is used, the sector shaft diameter needs to be 1.125 and no less than 1.123 or you will experience looseness. The original or NOS sector will measure this size but I have found that the original sectors don't have enough surface hardness to be used with needle bearings. I use the needle bearing set up on a couple of my cars but I use Bull Dog brand new old replacement stock sectors that have more surface hardness than original parts. Bull Dog sectors are not readly available and I'm not sure about the hardness of the replacement sectors sold by the model A parts stores.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother A View Post
I bit the bullet and pulled the steering box from my '31 Cabriolet to chase down the steering play. Everything looked pretty good except that there is a noticeable amount of play between the sector shaft and the sector housing. It looks like a new housing with needle bearings but it's not clear if the sector gear is new. Should that shaft be a precise fit or is some play acceptable?

Thanks
Steve
Steve,
Purdy has it right on the money!
I 'rebuilt' an original two tooth, back when, with the NEW/IMPROVED needle bearing useage. What I learned ...the hard way...was what Purdy has explained pretty well! Not long and I wondered ..what the heck was going on with my steering! Leave the front end/tires on the pavement and have someone move the steering whl back/forth in an effort to move tires with this needle bearing setup !
Back on the old fordbarn, I learned from some there what Purdy is telling you now! I called parts houses and discussed hardened sector shafts...ha,ha..guess who got the shaft !

Last edited by hardtimes; 08-10-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: add...
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Brother A

Thanks for all the input guys. No matter what I'll need a new shaft. If I can't get a hardened one, I'll buy the bushings to put in an old housing that my friend has and get them properly honed to the shaft diameter.

Steve
Brother A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Thanks Hardtimes for the kind words.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
Kurt in NJ

Bushings made to replace the needle bearings on a 36 (they had needle bearings when new) can be used in place of most needle bearings used in a conversion.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
pat in Santa Cruz

I've heard from many guys who used the needle bearings who were unhappy with them sooner or later. There are some who love them, but they're in the minority of opinions I have heard. In some cases, the shaft was never tight enough to decrease the free play. I have always used well fit bushings (honed to fit) and the results have been really good. When the Model A steering is right, you would be amazed at how easy they steer. I like to have the housing machined to accept a modern seal too.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
Kurt in NJ

My car has the needle bearing conversion done in the 70s, the gear had a major out of the car adjustment in the 80s, it still has less than 1" of play,

I wouldn't say that I love it, doubt that I will do it again, I also have a 36 with the factory needle bearings, I never tested that sector for a hard surface.

I also have been playing with some original sectors --grinding the shaft and fitting custom bushings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg card1 037.jpg (58.3 KB, 25 views)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote