Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Ross/Kzoo

Default Steering adjustment problems

I've just completeed the 5th steering adjustment as outlined in Les Andrews book. When I get the tightness out of the right turn then I have 2-3" of play in the steering wheel. I'm still not sure what I'm looking for on the end play sdjusting screw. I don't seem to get any movement side to side when turning the sdjusting screw.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Steering adjustment problems

7 tooth or 2 tooth? What kind of sector bushings? Here is a post that make help you some too.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Ross/Kzoo

This is a 2 tooth sector
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Brother A

Ross,
You said "screw" so I'm assuming you are talking about the Sector shaft thrust screw or the eccentric rivet. The thrust screw is on the side of the box towards the engine and adjusts the "in and out" movement of the shaft. You will not see any movement of the box you will just get the movement out of the shaft.

The eccentric rivet is only designed to equalize the play on the upper and lower end of the worm/sector mating surface. After disassembling the box I'm no longer convinced this would be a source of "binding".

The binding/play that you are describing is most likely associated with the eccentric nut that sets the mesh between the two gears. I am chasing the exact same issue.

After removing my steering box I discovered three things..... none of which I can confidently say is the problem. 1) I noticed that the cone washer was missing from the adjusting nut. 2) I think the box was not fully seated on the shaft when it was rebuilt. I fixed both of these and the play is much better but 3) There is a noticeable amount of play between the sector shaft and the sector housing (see my post on this). I think if I follow the suggestions from Kevin and Brent I will have this thing wrestled to the ground. I'm just not sure I can afford a new housing and gear. I'm leaning toward a new gear and hoping that it's a better fit.
Brother A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother A View Post
Ross,
You said "screw" so I'm assuming you are talking about the Sector shaft thrust screw or the eccentric rivet. The thrust screw is on the side of the box towards the engine and adjusts the "in and out" movement of the shaft. You will not see any movement of the box you will just get the movement out of the shaft.

The eccentric rivet is only designed to equalize the play on the upper and lower end of the worm/sector mating surface. After disassembling the box I'm no longer convinced this would be a source of "binding".

The binding/play that you are describing is most likely associated with the eccentric nut that sets the mesh between the two gears. I am chasing the exact same issue.

After removing my steering box I discovered three things..... none of which I can confidently say is the problem. 1) I noticed that the cone washer was missing from the adjusting nut. 2) I think the box was not fully seated on the shaft when it was rebuilt. I fixed both of these and the play is much better but 3) There is a noticeable amount of play between the sector shaft and the sector housing (see my post on this). I think if I follow the suggestions from Kevin and Brent I will have this thing wrestled to the ground. I'm just not sure I can afford a new housing and gear. I'm leaning toward a new gear and hoping that it's a better fit.
There is a couple on eBay right now. CLICK HERE and see what you can find that's affordable.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote